PS2 hardware VS PSP hardware

Simon82

Newcomer
Talking about the computational power and the graphic part of these architectures, I'd like to know your opinion in a ipothetic comparison.
Where do you think that PS2 stuff defeat the PSP part? And PSP GPU can be compared to a real GPU or it's a customized MIPS cpu as the central processor one?

Bye

Based on what I can see as a PSP owner, the PS2 doesn,t need to keep an OS loaded in the background like the PSP apparently does (at least in part). Also, I think the max texture resolution on PSP is 128x128, while on the PS2 it's at least 256x256 (but not much more, if it is). Texture resolution isn't as crusial on the portable though, smaller viewing area, unless you're the kind to have your nose stuck up to the screen while playing. ;)

What I find very telling is the fact that the PSP can emulate the PS1 completely in software while the PS2 basically has a PS1 inside (though I'm not so sure in the latter revisions, I'd love for someone to clear up that for me). Of course this could just be the progression in software emulators in time and I may be possible on PS2 now as well. Also when comparing games you have to remember the PSP is still locked to 222 mhz. I think a 333 mhz PSP (considering the smaller screen) should be pretty comparable to a PS2.

What I find very telling is the fact that the PSP can emulate the PS1 completely in software while the PS2 basically has a PS1 inside (though I'm not so sure in the latter revisions, I'd love for someone to clear up that for me). Of course this could just be the progression in software emulators in time and I may be possible on PS2 now as well. Also when comparing games you have to remember the PSP is still locked to 222 mhz. I think a 333 mhz PSP (considering the smaller screen) should be pretty comparable to a PS2.

I think that PS2 doesn't have the space problem to insert a R3000 CPU like the same identical that you can find in the PS2 (and PS1) motherboard. CPU that Sony (imho) pay few money seen the number of these sold with PSX and PSOne.
Insert a cpu like that on the psp would bee redesign PS1 CPU on 0.09u and with few possibility to use it.

There was not better solution that emulation I think. And remember that (as another user told) probably POP code was the same of Connectix VGS ported to MIPS architecture because the same title that doesn't run on actual version of the emulator, doesn't run on the VGS itself. ;)
This mean that Sony has used lot of "already bought" code, code that if I remember correctly was known to be very portable (see x86 and ppc version easily created).

And are we sure that is competely software emulated? Could geometric part of the code be rendered by VPU without using any "modern" effect like texture filtering.

Ahh. I wish.

One of the biggest problems with developing for the PSP is this perception (and it is a perception held widely even within development circles esp. managament) that the PSP is a ps2 in a handheld. This is simply not the case. Without going into specifics there is only one unit within the PSP that comes close to (and in some cases can exceed) the PS2 equivalent. Unfortunately a major bottleneck completely destroys the comparison.

Ahh. I wish.

One of the biggest problems with developing for the PSP is this perception (and it is a perception held widely even within development circles esp. managament) that the PSP is a ps2 in a handheld. This is simply not the case. Without going into specifics there is only one unit within the PSP that comes close to (and in some cases can exceed) the PS2 equivalent. Unfortunately a major bottleneck completely destroys the comparison.

But just look at Portable Ops. It looks pretty decent, at least in the ballpark of the PS2 version (yes it is of course inferior), but as I understand it the PSP is still locked at 222 mhz for developers. So I can only imagine how it would have turned out using the full power of the handheld. IIRC the creator of Daxter said the jump to 333 mhz would make the PSP significantly more powerful, he even implied it would be by more than a mere 33% in speed would indicate.

But just look at Portable Ops. It looks pretty decent, at least in the ballpark of the PS2 version (yes it is of course inferior), but as I understand it the PSP is still locked at 222 mhz for developers. So I can only imagine how it would have turned out using the full power of the handheld. IIRC the creator of Daxter said the jump to 333 mhz would make the PSP significantly more powerful, he even implied it would be by more than a mere 33% in speed would indicate.

Didn't say you can't make a decent game. This is for direct comparison of a cross platform title with optmised PS2 and PSP paths. A game created for PSP only is not going to give you a performance comparison with PS2.

While the speed bump to 333 certainly helps it's by no means bringing it up to PS2 performance levels.

And lets not get started with only one analogue controller. While this not seem to be a performance issue, it's amazing how the changes in game design required from PS2 versions can have an unexpected impact (although that's not the fault of the PSP performance, it just compounds the issue).

All this, I tell you directly in relation to the comparison of PSP Vs PS2. As a handheld device it is an amazing piece of hardware, it's just a shame that it often isn't taken for what it is.

Can you give us technical proof of the bottleneck and difference?

Surely PSP GPU has different from PS2 to the point that this could be it. But CPU should be nearly comparable..

Can you give us technical proof of the bottleneck and difference?

What proof do you have in mind?

Surely PSP GPU has different from PS2 to the point that this could be it. But CPU should be nearly comparable.

Well you've almost covered all the major components in the PSP so you'd almost be right. (except your not :) ).

What proof do you have in mind?

Well you've almost covered all the major components in the PSP so you'd almost be right. (except your not :) ).

Well.. I'd like to see low level comparisonof bus width, architectural technology, internal structure, cache, memory.. :rolleyes:

Well.. I'd like to see low level comparisonof bus width, architectural technology, internal structure, cache, memory.. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you can find these from the homebrew community (I'm certainly not going to pass on confidential docs/information).

I can't imagine this is particularly shocking news, is it?

I'm sure you can find these from the homebrew community (I'm certainly not going to pass on confidential docs/information).

I can't imagine this is particularly shocking news, is it?

But I didn't want the real techincal informations you'll surely find on official doc, just comparison on the information that are shared to the public as we can find of X360, PS3 and other hunderd of article talking about it.

What's the reason why Sony hasn't let de devs unlock the 333mhz? Is it because it drains the batteries too much? And do you think it will be unlocked in the near future or will it be locked forever?

What's the reason why Sony hasn't let de devs unlock the 333mhz? Is it because it drains the batteries too much? And do you think it will be unlocked in the near future or will it be locked forever?

It's for battery problem I think. With 1800mah ones 333MHZ cpu, UMD and WIFi use... I don't know many minutes it will stay on.
Original PSX emulator use (maybye) already 333Mhz access from software.. the frequency is dynamic so a develoaper can choose how and when increase it.

the frequency is dynamic so a develoaper can choose how and when increase it.

Yes, but not above the firmware set limit though.

All you really need to find is information on the bus of each. After that the rest is pretty much irrelevant in this comparison.

But I didn't want the real techincal informations you'll surely find on official doc, just comparison on the information that are shared to the public as we can find of X360, PS3 and other hunderd of article talking about it

Just google for them, they are easy to find.

Back