PS2 games on PS4 - not really happening?

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
Firstly these titles are undiscoverable on the web store. Secondly they are hidden away on the PS4 store. Thirdly there are barely any titles.

I'm guessing the requirement to rework old titles is more than anyone wants to bother with. What are the chances we'll get 'insert disk' BC/emulation? Currently looks like PC is the best place to play your PS2 library.

I'm guessing the requirement to rework old titles is more than anyone wants to bother with. What are the chances we'll get 'insert disk' BC/emulation? Currently looks like PC is the best place to play your PS2 library.

You know what would really be funny? If a PS1/PS2 emulator appeared in the UWP store and ran on Xbox (One or a future version). Of course, there's some problems involved. How would a user install their presumably legally dumped Playstation BIOS/ROM backup into the program considering how UWP is a walled garden?

But it would certainly be rather amusing if it happened. :D

Regards,
SB

I was excited for this until I looked at 1) the limited selection of titles and 2) the prices. I would've preferred playing from disc, but that ship has sailed.

A PS3 with B/C is probably still the best place to play all PS2 games (mine has a broken PSU which makes me sad), unless they have good quality ports or HD remasters on PS3/PS4/PC.

Emulation is a good option too and something which I use a lot, but there are still problems with many of the harder to emulate titles. Many games are easy to emulate though like many of the Square RPGs or Dark Cloud and stuff with not so crazy graphics and post-processing.

Some of the HD remakes have excellent advantages over emulation though like MGS HD Collection at 60 fps. Or Sly Collection, Jak HD trilogy, etc.
You know what would really be funny? If a PS1/PS2 emulator appeared in the UWP store and ran on Xbox (One or a future version). Of course, there's some problems involved. How would a user install their presumably legally dumped Playstation BIOS/ROM backup into the program considering how UWP is a walled garden?

But it would certainly be rather amusing if it happened. :D

Regards,
SB
PS1 emulator would be easy to handle performance wise. PS2 emulation needs a beefy CPU though. Probably part of the reason why the PS4 doesn't just handle discs directly and emulate them.

I don't understand the technical side. Even Microsoft can well emulate xbox 360 on one. Sony Inn the other hand can't easily emulate ps2.

As for the low discovery in psn. It is psn, duh. If it's easy to search, it won't be the psn we know.

I don't understand the technical side. Even Microsoft can well emulate xbox 360 on one. Sony Inn the other hand can't easily emulate ps2.

As for the low discovery in psn. It is psn, duh. If it's easy to search, it won't be the psn we know.

360 games are at least partially statically recompiled.

From a digital foundry interview with one of the Gears of War guys.

"Mike Rayner: It is essentially the exact same code. The Xbox team converts the 360 game and 360 flash PPC executables into native x64 executables, packages those up with the 360 game assets, 360 flash and emulator as a regular Xbox One game, and publishes it."

It's probably just not really feasible to do that with the PS2, so they have to emulate it like normal.

PS2 needs a very low level emulation - interrupts and such. Also non IEEE 754 compliant floating point.

Look at Cemu. It manages to have modest CPU requirements while emulating 3 CPU cores on 1 and less optimization than Dolphin.

It's probably just not really feasible to do that with the PS2, so they have to emulate it like normal.
They could make a dynamically recompiling CPU core emulator and distribute the recompiled output along with each game. They would have to play through each title to get most of the game code captured by the recompiler tho...

Back