PS2 EE question

jacky in the night stage with light projectors from the helicopter above was nice, i liked how his hair moved.
There was VF4 evolution too, i don't know if it had graphical enhancements. Looks less aliased in youtube videos.

I think Tekken 5 looks a bit better than VF4. I played them back to back about a year ago and was surprised how good T5 looked because I had this long standing opinion that VF4 was the best looking fighter on the PS2, but my opinion has changed. Tekken Tag is probably the cleanest, though. They added AA to the NA release after the Japanese release was criticized for looking more jaggy than Soul Calibur and DOA on dreamcast. It's arguable that they overdid the AA but it has the least visible aliasing in any PS2 game I can think of.

I actually have takken tag tournament, bought it along with the PS2, that and SSX where my first games on it. Having the PAL/EU release i dont know if theres any AA but it looks very nice and not far off from tekken 5. Never had DOA3/Ultimate so dont know how good it compares to TTT/T5 but their quit close i think.

Oh and yeah i agree VF4 looks nice but T5 is just nicer GFX, as is DOA3.

I didnt see the clear progression in visuals in Tekken on PS2 that we saw on PS1.
TTT had the cleanest visuals, including the most convincing materials and lighting effetcs. No other game in PS2's lifetime managed to come close. It was the closest we ever got to a PBR on PS2.
T4 gained interactive large ebnvironments and lighting effects got a bit more depth. It sacrificed the realistic "CG" look of TTT but some of these roaming environments like the Mall and the City were splendid! At least you knew were those polygons went to.
But Tekken 5, comparatively, lost both the visual style of TTT and the free roaming environments of T4. Lighting looks flatter, and character polygons seem rougher. I thnk it is art that saved it.
I wasnt all that impressed by T5 to be honest. I think it was a step back.
Especially if you consider how well Soul Calibur was evolving visually.

Soul Calibur 3 was amazingly beautiful. It pushed the PS2 to the max. Environments were large and alive.
The Old Toledo stage made me an impression for the realistic fire that was blazing the stage.

Im having the europe release of TTT so maybe thats why it doesnt impress that much over T5, not that its an ugly game :p
Didnt know SC3 was on PS2, guess i stopped playing PS2 by the time it came, looks very nice from what im seeing on youtube, gotta try it sometime on ps2.
What you think on xbox is comparable, doa3/ultimate? and how they compare to SC3 and the tekkens graphically?

Im having the europe release of TTT so maybe thats why it doesnt impress that much over T5, not that its an ugly game :p
Didnt know SC3 was on PS2, guess i stopped playing PS2 by the time it came, looks very nice from what im seeing on youtube, gotta try it sometime on ps2.
What you think on xbox is comparable, doa3/ultimate? and how they compare to SC3 and the tekkens graphically?
The fact that the Pal version of TTT run at half the speed (not just half the framerate but literally in slow motion) totally ruined it.
I dont think the PS2 had anything that approached DOA3's visuals overally. That game had super high poly counts, super detailed multi leveled environments, bump mapping, super clean visuals, high res textures etc. Tekken 4's mall and city stages were the closest think on the PS2 and it was pretty good. TTT though did achieve some very unique visuals that no fighting game on either PS2 or XBOX approached IMO. The fact that the stages were infinite flat planed and the animations weren't much improved from system 12 really dont allow it to take the crown as the best visually. They totally nailed the CG style of Tekken 3's FMVs. Namco did some pretty crazy magic with TTT.

Some stages were out of this world for a PS2 game

Tekken 5 DR for comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGYCUy-EPHY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBvZ4_zdwTQ

Tekken 4 for comparison

Last edited:
The fact that the Pal version of TTT run at half the speed (not just half the framerate but literally in slow motion) totally ruined it.

It ran at 50fps instead of 60 and the same hit on animation speed, not half. The same curse that used to plague lot of Pal-releases across many consoles. Many games also suffered from the issue of black borders on top and bottom when the lower NTSC resolution was ported to PAL TVs. Many companies didn't want to put a good effort in to the conversion and the Pal-releases often were quite bad. Luckily the 60Hz mode started to be supported more and more.

Tekken Tag was indeed special, and thats a launch game, on the hard to program for ps2. Had that and ssx, both gave that next gen feel on launch.
Yeah we got only 480i on xbox too, only modded consoles could do progressive, even with pal games i think.

Wow i get what you mean with t4/5 being a step back, that first video looks really good. Namco did some magic there indeed, especially the floor/lighting.

Last edited:
It ran at 50fps instead of 60 and the same hit on animation speed, not half. The same curse that used to plague lot of Pal-releases across many consoles. Many games also suffered from the issue of black borders on top and bottom when the lower NTSC resolution was ported to PAL TVs. Many companies didn't want to put a good effort in to the conversion and the Pal-releases often were quite bad. Luckily the 60Hz mode started to be supported more and more.
I dont think the transition from 60hz to 50hz translated into 50fps with this game. The game was significantly slower, to the point that it was almost unplayable. Just like Tekken games on the PS1. God they sucked ass totally. They should have went with black boarders instead

I dont think the transition from 60hz to 50hz translated into 50fps with this game. The game was significantly slower, to the point that it was almost unplayable. Just like Tekken games on the PS1. God they sucked ass totally. They should have went with black boarders instead

This must be true as Tekken Tag feels very 'off' in my copy, its like if its running full FPS, whatever that is, but the characters dont move in that speed but MUCH slower. Always thought it should be that way in tekken tag tournament. T4 and T5 dont have this problem (also PAL).

This must be true as Tekken Tag feels very 'off' in my copy, its like if its running full FPS, whatever that is, but the characters dont move in that speed but MUCH slower. Always thought it should be that way in tekken tag tournament. T4 and T5 dont have this problem (also PAL).
Thats the one I also had (and still have). Since the NTSC is 60fps, halving the framerate didnt produce any choppy visuals. It still looked smooth but at 30fps. All animations are made for 60fps in Tekken, so you still got all the right frames albeit at 1/2 the speed in Europe. Basically the PAL version was like the Tekken 1-3's slow mo replays. T4 and T5 Pal versions had 50hz and 60hz modes which was great. Unlike TTT Pal which forced you only to a 50hz mode and had the afformentioned differences. I am sure for timing and most likely refresh and other issues they avoided 50fps as it is similar to 60fps yet gameplay frame counting would have been bizzare.How many frames is a 4 frame move at 60fps when at 50fps?

Thats the one I also had (and still have). Since the NTSC is 60fps, halving the framerate didnt produce any choppy visuals. It still looked smooth but at 30fps. All animations are made for 60fps in Tekken, so you still got all the right frames albeit at 1/2 the speed in Europe. Basically the PAL version was like the Tekken 1-3's slow mo replays. T4 and T5 Pal versions had 50hz and 60hz modes which was great. Unlike TTT Pal which forced you only to a 50hz mode and had the afformentioned differences. I am sure for timing and most likely refresh and other issues they avoided 50fps as it is similar to 60fps yet gameplay frame counting would have been bizzare.How many frames is a 4 frame move at 60fps when at 50fps?

You are getting some things mixed up. Framerate and speed of movement are separate things and black borders is not a solution to get 60fps on a PAL console, it's just how 480 lines of resolution looks on a display with 576 lines. You could have a very good Tekken with 50fps if made properly from the scratch, the problem is lag of effort on the port. They just slowed down the 60fps to 50fps. A 16.7% reduction in game speed. It's not missing any frames, 4 frames is still 4 frames, it just takes more time to happen on the screen. Tekken Tag Tournament on Pal consoles runs at 50 frames per second.

You are getting some things mixed up. Framerate and speed of movement are separate things and black borders is not a solution to get 60fps on a PAL console, it's just how 480 lines of resolution looks on a display with 576 lines. You could have a very good Tekken with 50fps if made properly from the scratch, the problem is lag of effort on the port. They just slowed down the 60fps to 50fps. A 16.7% reduction in game speed. It's not missing any frames, 4 frames is still 4 frames, it just takes more time to happen on the screen. Tekken Tag Tournament on Pal consoles runs at 50 frames per second.
I didnt say lower framerate means lower speed. What I said is that for TTT specifically, they halved the speed and with it, the framerate. It's like taking the 60fps footage and puting it in slow motion. You will be seeing slower movement and less frames percl second. We are saying the same thing I just dont believe it was a 16.7% reduction of speed and framerate only. When I said the example of 4 frames earlier I was thinking in fighting game terms (moveset frame counting). I.e a move that in the normal game is 4 frames fast per second at 60fps at normal speed. Frame counting is integral in Tekkens gameplay. At 50fps and 16.7% less speed the same animation/attack is still 4 frames. But you get 3.3333 per second mathimatically, so the forth frame sits between the previous and the next second.

Perhaps I am wrong but the game did feel a lot slower and less smooth than 50fps to me.

I didnt say lower framerate means lower speed. What I said is that for TTT specifically, they halved the speed and with it, the framerate. It's like taking the 60fps footage and puting it in slow motion. You will be seeing slower movement and less frames percl second. We are saying the same thing I just dont believe it was a 16.7% reduction of speed and framerate only. When I said the example of 4 frames earlier I was thinking in fighting game terms (moveset frame counting). I.e a move that in the normal game is 4 frames fast per second at 60fps at normal speed. Frame counting is integral in Tekkens gameplay. At 50fps and 16.7% less speed the same animation/attack is still 4 frames. But you get 3.3333 per second mathimatically, so the forth frame sits between the previous and the next second.

Perhaps I am wrong but the game did feel a lot slower and less smooth than 50fps to me.

I am sorry Nesh, but it ran at 5ofps and the only difference was the 16.7% reduction in speed. It doesn't sound a lot, but it is... Tekken Tag is not special in any way with this issue. It's the curse of the PAL-versions many gamers old enough remember well. I remember playing Tekken 1 on my Pal PS1 happily, until on my USA trip I saw the 60fps version. It blew my mind haha.

Your math at the end doesn't make a whole lot of sense... but I understand what you are trying to say. The fact however is that the timing windows will be different on Pal and NTSC-versions of the game. Doing a just frame move is harder on the faster ntsc-game as there is less time between frames.

Make sure to run that in 60fps and change the playpack speed to 0.75 and 0.5, if you still claim that PAL Tekken Tag run like the 0.5 compared to the NTSC-version, then I'm out haha. Shiftys upper video playbacked by 1.25 also gives a closeish ballpark for the change in speed as going from 50 to 60 is a 20% change, eventhough it's a 30fps video.

I am sorry Nesh, but it ran at 5ofps and the only difference was the 16.7% reduction in speed. It doesn't sound a lot, but it is... Tekken Tag is not special in any way with this issue. It's the curse of the PAL-versions many gamers old enough remember well. I remember playing Tekken 1 on my Pal PS1 happily, until on my USA trip I saw the 60fps version. It blew my mind haha.

Your math at the end doesn't make a whole lot of sense... but I understand what you are trying to say. The fact however is that the timing windows will be different on Pal and NTSC-versions of the game. Doing a just frame move is harder on the faster ntsc-game as there is less time between frames.

Make sure to run that in 60fps and change the playpack speed to 0.75 and 0.5, if you still claim that PAL Tekken Tag run like the 0.5 compared to the NTSC-version, then I'm out haha. Shiftys upper video playbacked by 1.25 also gives a closeish ballpark for the change in speed as going from 50 to 60 is a 20% change, eventhough it's a 30fps video.
I stand corrected then. That 10/60 difference in speed was so noticeable to me, that I thought it was an even bigger difference :)
I really couldnt stand playing the PAL versions of the game.

Last edited:
Have been trying Jak and Daxter 2 on the PS2, think this is much more impressive to me then God of War 2 is or most other ps2 games. Theres so much going on in the citys, which are mostly open-world aswell. I remember the developers saying the game wasnt possible on the og xbox, is there any truth in that?

Back