PS 2 shortage?

ZoinKs!

Regular
I work in a large retailer's electronics department in the upper midwest US. We've hardly recieved any new shipments of ps 2s for weeks. At Christmas, we had a pile of >30 stacked up. We're now down to less then half a dozen. By this time tomorrow, there'll be more ps 3s in stock than ps 2s.

For a couple weeks, customer's have been commenting that we're the only store around that has any. Tonight, a customer called to see if we had some and then said he'd be driving here to get one--- he said it was about an hour long drive and we were the only place he found that still had them.

My question for the board: Is this the situation in other areas? Or is it just a wacky regional shortage?

I work in a large retailer's electronics department in the upper midwest US. We've hardly recieved any new shipments of ps 2s for weeks. At Christmas, we had a pile of >30 stacked up. We're now down to less then half a dozen. By this time tomorrow, there'll be more ps 3s in stock than ps 2s.

For a couple weeks, customer's have been commenting that we're the only store around that has any. Tonight, a customer called to see if we had some and then said he'd be driving here to get one--- he said it was about an hour long drive and we were the only place he found that still had them.

My question for the board: Is this the situation in other areas? Or is it just a wacky regional shortage?

I don't think that Sony is trying to supply PS3's instead of PS2's - that would be silly because the PS2 hardware is still profitable and selling very well. I guess it's just a post-xmas supply issue.

Don't you know when the next shipment of PS2's is due in?

I don't think they're deliberately shorting ps 2 either. I'm just curious is this is happening anywhere else or if it's just a regional blight.

As near as I could tell, the warehouse we get our supplies from is completely out.

I don't see any shortage here in Vancouver, Canada. The local EB Games and Walmart have lots of them. Wii on the other hand... is always out of stock in Vancouver.

I don't think that Sony is trying to supply PS3's instead of PS2's - that would be silly because the PS2 hardware is still profitable and selling very well. I guess it's just a post-xmas supply issue.
PS2 is profitable, but there is a case to be made that it's reducing demand for PS3. Selling two less PS2's but one more PS3 may be better for Sony in the long run.

Maybe Sony should have just let PS2 keep rolling and launch PS3 even later (with visibly better graphics and games than XB360, of course). It's like they picked the worst middle ground where they're a year behind MS without offering a lot more, but not far enough behind that they can take a big step beyond in desirability. Some of it's just bad luck, though.

Back