Proper Mantle testing in muliplayer games.

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by DavidGraham, Jun 6, 2014.

1. DavidGraham

Veteran

We have discussed this before in the Mantle thread, but I was baffled none of the famous sites actually considered a proper testing methodology for BF4 mantle/dx comparisons. Until an obscure arabian site actually found and did it:

A video of the testing procedure:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPJICrRkpWM

Link to the rest of the benchmarks:
    http://www.araboverclockers.net/directx-to-reign-supreme-once-again/2/

I hope this becomes the standard way of testing things from now on.

2. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

I hope to look at this more in-depth later, but spectator mode support in various games and how closely it matches the performance behavior of direct play has been spotty at times.

3. DavidGraham

Veteran

True, but given the other options, this does seem like the most accurate. It is like a timedemo, or a built-in benchmark.

4. Ryan Smith

Regular

Just speaking solely for myself here, it is something we had considered because it does have merit. But ultimately it's something we declined for a couple of reasons.

1) I don't have access to two identical testbeds. Actually there's a hair bit of concern about the cards being non-identical due to differing leakage characteristics (a bigger problem on the ref 290s than the better cooled non-ref), but mostly the lack of a second identical testbed.

2) It's non-repeatable in as much as you can't do more than 2 cards like that, and you can't repeat it in the future (say when AMD updates their drivers).

That said, 3dilettante's concerns aside, it's a respectable way of doing one-off testing.:smile:

5. fuboi

Newcomer

Their lack of frame distribution statistics makes it almost useless. Instantaneous minimum frame rate is useless. Percentage of frames below 60fps would be more interesting. In the youtube video you can see one of the machines hitting sub-60fps quite a bit. I hope one of the frame statistics sites does a test as a proof of concept. Testing with switched APIs on both machines (Test A: Machine A DX, Machine B Mantle, Test B: swap APIs) and comparing distributions ratios should give a better reference point to remove leakage differences.

6. DavidGraham

Veteran

Yeah, it's an expensive test due to this requirement alone. increasing the number of cards tested will balloon the hardware requirements to an insane level!

At least you won't have to worry about that if you are comparing NV vs AMD.

Agreed.

7. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

(OT, but I'm a bit surprised that even a site like Anandtech doesn't have identical testbeds to parallelize benchmarks. These kind of setups aren't that outrageously expensive?)

8. Ryan Smith

Regular

We're not in a single office, so we don't have the advantage of shared hardware.