Projector, Mac laptop, speakers and tv tuner..

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Saem, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Saem

Veteran

Okay, so a friend is thinking about getting a 20 inch G5 all in one system.

I suggested considering a projector and laptop combo, seeing as that'd give them a lot of flexibility.

Projector

Laptop

I have no idea what tv tuner and speakers to recommend, however. I'm thinking a USB one would work, but which one would be compatible with a Mac? As for speakers a good 2.1 set would be sufficient.

Also, any advice upon the current choices would be welcome.

Price is a big concern, the G5 is about 2,000 before tax and so anything above 3,000 would become prohibitive.

2. zurich

zurich Kendoka
    Veteran

iBooks are pretty anemic (256 base RAM for OS X is a sin) and have limited video out options. Go for a 12 inch PowerBook, it's a few hundred more, but atleast that way he'll have DVI and a ton of different options for the projector (ie: desktop spanning, mirroring, cinema, etc).

3. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

For TV-Tuners, you could always pickup a USB-2.0 tuner/encoder like the Plextor ConvertX PX-TV402U gadget. It'll do DiVX/MPG4/MPG2/MPG1 hardware encoding and offers PVR functionality. It also comes in a MAC package with the needed software. It runs about $200 for the MAC from NewEgg.

4. Saem

Veteran

Okay, so 512 megs of ram minimum, yeah, DVI is really necessary, I've seen the quality difference it makes with the projector and it's phenomenal.

Thanks for the TV tuner tip, I'll have to check that out.