Projector gaming

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by green.pixel, Jan 18, 2019.

1. green.pixel

Veteran

Anyone here using them for gaming? Is it awesome awesomeness compared to TVs?

2. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

I think it depends on the specs of said projector and tvs as well as the room qualities. Projectors can be nice as you can have larger screen sizes but then the room must be absolutely dark to be able to see details that you could easily see in a sunlight room with plasma or led tvs. Then you also need to take into account the age of the bulb, as they do degrade through use, significantly faster than any TV set does, so you lose out details that way on the projector.

A friend uses a projector when he games in his rec-room (fully converted basement) and he needs the lights to be all off. He has a 85 - 100 inch screen setup. Its nice, but sometimes too much when having to switch corners of a HUD when playing a game.

For gaming I'd rather have my 54" 1080p Panasonic Plasma, preferably I'd go with a 65" HDR TV (like the US TCL 6 series TV) if I had the choice of what to buy today.

3. green.pixel

Veteran

I'm aware of the bulb issue, how much do laser based pjs help with that?

How much of a problem are UIs, especially of PC games?

4. Davros

Legend

What projectors are good for is nv surround/Eyefinity (no bezels)

5. xz321zx

Newcomer

Well, CRT can simulate foveated displays, and was used to simulate pixel matrix displays in 90's, not to mention countless movies shoot using rear projection before 90's.