Project Sword AKA Epic Citadel

Running across several different iOS configurations, an adaptation to Android, and also with a Tegra 2 version already, Unreal Engine 3/Epic Citadel should continue to make for an interesting device of comparison.

4960143674_414198afcf_z.jpg

4959545923_d1b084f73b_z.jpg

4959540265_836b63e1d6_z.jpg

The texture detail is simply amazing. I can't judge from such short range screen-shots but is there any anisotropic filtering enabled?

The game is a progression of Punch-Out like sword fights, with fast and responsive touch screen swings, parries, and dodges.

High production in the moody little melodic pieces which set the atmosphere and in the almost-flawlessly detailed environments sets the story well.

The clashing metal swords and roaring monsters sound great in this game. It runs quite smoothly on my iPhone 4 in most scenes, and the battery life doesn't even drain especially fast.

Heard they are promising more levels and maybe multiplayer?

So are those going to be free upgrades or in-app purchases?

Seems like they have a good base from which to flesh out a full game.

Free updates from what I've read.

Incredibly, the detail in the character models and in the environment is comparable to high quality games on the current consoles. The overall lighting model, though, is definitely more simplistic, and the framerate doesn't keep a steady 30 Hz, though it's been acceptably smooth on my phone.

The framerate stutters somewhat between 20 and 30 frames per second on average on my iPhone 4, but it's not so distracting.

While it's not as consistent as a typical console game, consoles don't let you run an advanced game like this and then immediately switch back and forth between many simultaneous apps like the iPhone -- it's really an impressive feat to experience and a reason to excuse a little performance inconsistency here and there.

I beat the Deathless Kings and got the full ending. Enjoyable sword battling and leveling all the way through, though the game leaves the storyline too vague currently (yet very intriguing).

infinity_blade_deathless_kings.jpg

I love how this guy is just sitting and reading a book, chilling, when you find him.

Back