Project Offset: An Epic Fantasy FPS for PS3? Xbox 360? PC?

doob

Regular
News Source: http://www.ps3portal.com/?view=article&article=156&PHPSESSID=1122812d7d911fe08c511f93de1facab

Interesting/To note:
Sam McGrath, Travis Stringer and Trevor Stringer are the only 3 members of a team solely responsible for the next-generation videogame called “Project Offsetâ€￾ (working title)
“Project Offsetâ€￾ is being touted as a first person shooter blending movie quality graphics in an epic fantasy universe (read: Lord of the Rings epic) by its creators.
While the single player game is still under wraps. Much emphasis was put into making sure that the multiplayer portion is appealing to everyone.
The website calls it a never ending struggle between good and evil. Hope that is not the case with the 3 developers of this game. Who to this date have been single handedly funding the project on their own and are in dire need to find a publisher for this ambitious project.

Official Website: http://www.projectoffset.com/downloads.htm
I'v downloaded the Sneak peek 2 and ... those guys guys are incredibly talented!!! I think it's really a nice alternative to the UE3 for game programmers.
Now about the game itself, looks very promessing, graphics/Fx&gameplay wise.
The multiplayer feature caught me by surprise uhm... i havent seen their forums yet, so i don't know if the game(or/and)engine will end up being multi-platform. Anyway if either/both cases i hope any of them come near any of us at some time/place near us. I hope they get a good contract with a decent publisher.

Looking foward to this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both links you've provided don't mention anything about PS3, there are some clues that this may appear on PS3 but nothing official, the clue i'm talking about is this.
nVidia has posted a super high res version (1920x1080p, the highest HD resolution) of our video, which is available exclusively on nZone. If you have a computer beefy enough to play it, grab it!
http://www.projectoffset.com/news.html
The fact that nvidia provided the video, and that video is on a resolution available only on PS3 might tell us something about this game, nevetheless i think your thread title is misleading.

Ya, there's the same articles on teamxbox.com, but we still don' have any clue if this game is even gonna get picked up, let alone what console it will be on.

You are probably right... didnt noticed that, anyway if such is true, blame the guys at ps3central not me :(

I edited the title, if you don't mind, to make it less misleading. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, it means they are so broke they can't even afford their own hosting space.

hell I even emailed them and answered their request for hosting, I offered up to 100gb/month but apparently that wasnt enough.

they problably just have some friends at nvidia, or some sort of a working relationship.

Thay clan they received Geforces from Nvidia and on their site they also relates the gain of permoance each new graphics board provides...

But on the news they also clain to use HLSL from Ms, wich is why i think project Ofsset is now only a Pc project, with a equal chance to be released on both next gen systems.

Slay said:
Both links you've provided don't mention anything about PS3, there are some clues that this may appear on PS3 but nothing official, the clue i'm talking about is this.

http://www.projectoffset.com/news.html
The fact that nvidia provided the video, and that video is on a resolution available only on PS3 might tell us something about this game, nevetheless i think your thread title is misleading.
Except that resolution is available on PCs. It's the same "1080p" that Terminator 2 Extreme movie is presented in. Nothing to start rumors and wild speculation over.

Iron Tiger said:
Except that resolution is available on PCs. It's the same "1080p" that Terminator 2 Extreme movie is presented in. Nothing to start rumors and wild speculation over.
1080p is a resolution that rarely used on PC's and even more rarely in games if ever, pc's don't uses 16:9 monitors, the vast majority is 4:3 , if the game trailer was at 1600x1200 or 1280x1024 i would back up your comment, anyway as i wrote before that clue alone doesn't provide any solid evidence.

Slay said:
1080p is a resolution that rarely used on PC's and even more rarely in games if ever, pc's don't uses 16:9 monitors, the vast majority is 4:3 , if the game trailer was at 1600x1200 or 1280x1024 i would back up your comment, anyway as i wrote before that clue alone doesn't provide any solid evidence.

Isn't Heavenly Sword being devolped in 1080p?

More on Project Offset below. It's a good interview.

Link http://www.gamecloud.com/article.php?article_id=1269
Created by former members of S2 Games (the developers of the acclaimed multiplayer FPS-RTS game Savage) the team at Offset Software have already generated a lot of interest in their upcoming fantasy FPS known currently by its working title Project Offset. The team has released two videos showing off both tech demos and actual gameplay that are simply spectacular to watch. Gamecloud got a chance to chat with Offset Software co-founder Sam McGrath to find out more about the game and the grass roots attention it is receiving.

Gamecloud - First, the two tech demo movies for Project Offset have generated a lot of attention. Did you expect this type of coverage for a project that is still in its infancy?

Sam McGrath - We have been shocked with the amount of attention our videos have received. We're really encouraged by all the great comments from fans. I think it's something we hoped for, but certainly not something we expected.

Gamecloud - A lot of people believe it will take a lot of money and time to create a game with graphics like Project Offset. Speaking from experience what is your opinion on this issue?

Sam McGrath - The size of team we will need to complete the game is definitely going to be much bigger than it was for our last project (Savage). For one thing, we are planning an in depth single player component, and we're going to need a lot of content there. Our plan has never been to finish the game with just the three of us. At the same time though, we have some tools which really streamline the process of getting next gen content into the engine very quickly, so time and cost will be lower than some people might expect.

Gamecloud - How did the idea for the game itself come about?

Sam McGrath - The idea for the setting of the game was almost a no brainer for us. We're all fans of the epic fantasy genre, and disappointed that the setting has largely been left to the realm of RPGs. An epic fantasy FPS is the game WE all want to play, so we're making it!

Gamecloud - Finally is there anything else you wish to say about Project Offset at this time?

Sam McGrath - Please check out our website at http://www.projectoffset.com. We also have forums up at http://forums.projectoffset.com with a great community building already.

Quick forum rule reminder:
Articles are NOT to be copy/pasted to this forum, only relevant parts/interesting parts are to be (which should never lead to compelete article paste), and a link to the article must be provided.

Back