Project Gotham Racing 2 graphics engine

Don't you guys think that because PGR2 has to replicate real cities that it suffers a little in the graphics department. Bizarre Creations can't really take the same short cuts that others do with games like GT series, TOCA2, Apex, etc... It's a lot easier to make really nice looking tracks that you invent with technical limitations in mind, rather than having to cram all that photo/texture data and geometry (like that ferris wheel in Yokusaka) into available memory/specs.

I think it limits the art-direction as well and is the main reason why still shots of GT4 hold their own against most still shots of PGR2, even though the PS2 is obviously less powerful than the Xbox. Of course, this makes the Sega GT series on Xbox all the more disappointing in retrospect.

While I still think that PGR2's graphics are a solid 9/10, I have to admit that I expected them to be at least this good, but at 60fps. I imagine that MS isn't too crazy about the fact that the sequel only sold 500k so far, as the original sold around 1.5 million.

It's still my favorite racer of all time though.

Back