Programming for cell processor seminar @assembly

Discussion in 'CellPerformance@B3D' started by manux, Aug 2, 2008.

1. manux

Veteran Regular

Live seminar about cell programming now at assemblytv. Here is a direct link to the stream:
    http://www.assemblytv.net/2008/broadcast.php.fi?br=2048

The seminar probably will be available as download later.

edit. The guy giving the presentation seems to be from ibm.
    edit2. He is now going through different cell enabled products and starting to talk about roadrunner.

#1 manux, Aug 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2008
  2. patsu

Legend

Will the Live TV be archived somewhere ? I missed the first part, and it's 1:55am now. I don't think I can last throughout :(

3. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Looks like it:

Assembly Summer 2008
    This page will contain videos from the event.

Love the chip-style waiting music

4. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

So is this...Cell programming for the Demo scene? Housemarque are there as game developers, I guess, but their roots are the Scene. I'm a bit bemused who the audience are. Is this a move by IBM to get uber-nerds interested in the hardware so they start developing for it?

5. manux

Veteran Regular

To me it seemed the ibm guy didn't know who would be in audience. He covered some basics like different cell enabled products, high level programming and ended up talking about coding directly to the metal without linux(blades, open firmware, creating custom os). He briefly touched issue of spu enabled accelerators and how they could be used to accelerate algorithms.

After that there was questions&answers session but it was rather short lived. And then they had third session in smaller groups to discuss projects people are doing/want to do with cell and what kind of problems developers are facing and how to solve those problems. Unfortunately that part was not streamed to net.

6. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Shame. They need some serious evangelism, some killer apps created just to get people excited, like the original realtime terrain landscape renderer.