Product Naming -- What's in a name?

Cjail

Fool
Veteran
Lol

It might also be powered by a miniature nuclear reactor, I hear the Russians have those too...

Certainly ties in with the 'always on' rumours - this is one console that will work when the power's out (unlike Orth's vacuum cleaner...)

I heard Xbox is using nuclear fusion, ergo the name Xbox Fusion ;)

Xbox is already a Geeky enough of a name. Fusion just makes it more so. If I were MS I would go away from the xbox name altogether. I don't see, women or kids being too drawn to a machine called X-Box, it sounds edgy and technological and toughish, thing is, many people don't like edgy and technological, most are intimidated or bored by it. The name X-Box to me always sounded extremely "I'm a 30 yeard old american male who likes computers and playing games of naked japanese characters on my mom's basement"

Xbox is already a Geeky enough of a name. Fusion just makes it more so. If I were MS I would go away from the xbox name altogether. I don't see, women or kids being too drawn to a machine called X-Box, it sounds edgy and technological and toughish, thing is, many people don't like edgy and technological, most are intimidated or bored by it. The name X-Box to me always sounded extremely "I'm a 30 yeard old american male who likes computers and playing games of naked japanese characters on my mom's basement"

The same can be said for the other console names too... seriously, "Wii U" and "Playstation" also scream "I'm a 30 yeard old american male who likes computers and playing games of naked japanese characters on my mom's basement"

As well, at least in the United States, Xbox is now more synonymous with console gaming in the general public's mind than Playstation is. That couldn't be said 6 years ago.

I see more of a potential issue in translating Xbox onto other non-gaming services as Microsoft are trying to do. I'm not sure how that effort will play out. I suppose in many ways you could think of "X"box as a "Mystery" box that can be full of any sort of wondrous thing.

Regards,
SB

It's a Pandora box :D

Microsoft get away with weird xbox 360 name and it seems many people simply calls it as "xbox".

It's the media that keep typing xbox 360.

I think Infinity is a good name for the US market.

Easy to understand, not easily confused with any other console or similar product, and easy to remember.

I can see Xbox Infinity, if it is so named, just referred to as Infinity worldwide like people say 360.

In fact I'd go so far as to say 360 was a great name to tie to Xbox, and Infinity would be a continuation of that as a strength for Xbox.

It's a Pandora box :D

Microsoft get away with weird xbox 360 name and it seems many people simply calls it as "xbox".

It's the media that keep typing xbox 360.

It seems like most will refer to it as "360". In the UK at least.

Infinity/Infinite would be nice enough. Fusion is a bit clumsy.

Xbox Infinity, available exclusively as part of Comcast's premier Xfinity cable package.

I'm not a fan of using it as the machine's name but could easily get used to if need be. I like the sound of infinity over fusion any day of the week and thinks it jibes better with the mass market. But it's still Xbox and that's truly where the product's name will draw attention from people as it is familiar.

It seems like most will refer to it as "360". In the UK at least.

Infinity/Infinite would be nice enough. Fusion is a bit clumsy.

wow. Microsoft successfully divide the naming of their own console :LOL:
In japan they called it as 360 too right? (sanrokumaru)

One of the most successful consumer electronics products ever sounds like a feminine hygiene product and people are stressing about the name of the next xbox? Really?

My post was supposed to be a joke but on a serious note there are some good post regarding the Xbox name in this thread at page 71, 72, 84 and 85. (these are the one I remember)
They could be moved here because they are IMO interesting to this discussion...no doubt they are more interesting than my OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the most successful consumer electronics products ever sounds like a feminine hygiene product and people are stressing about the name of the next xbox? Really?

Well, there is such a thing as a bad name. "Wii U" is terrible because people thought the gamepad was an attachment for the Wii (it didn't help that the console looks like a Wii at first glance too). Even "Wii" at a time had several jokes made about the name too.

Back