Problems with quoted offsite articles including formatting

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Shifty Geezer, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

I'm seeing quite a few copy/paste quotes from websites that include text formating resulting in dark text which is unreadable in the Dark theme. Is there anything that can be done about that in the forum? Do we need a new sticky notice?

BRiT likes this.
  2. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

The text box also seems to have issues displaying copy/pasted text unless I hit the wrench button. Not sure if it's just a Dark theme issue.

Basically, if I copy part of a quote to use later, then I paste it, it is invisible until hitting the BB Code Editor - I've ended up with a wall of pasted text as a result of trying to paste it into existence. :p

3. Rys

Rys Graphics @ AMD
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

I'm not sure how easy it is to clear the formatting on paste, so it loses the dark font colour that makes things unreadable. As for pasted text not showing up, I'll take a look.

4. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Screen Shot.png
    Manux's post appears an empty box and I wouldn't have known it wasn't a bug if not for the yellow hyperlinks. This problem is new to me from maybe some months ago. Perhaps it's a change in how browsers copy/paste content? However, it's a problem that's growing and needs some solution. Maybe that solution is removing the Dark Theme because the internet assumes dark text on a light ground and trying to be different causes these sorts of issues? Or maybe users of the Dark Theme are to be trusted to select quotes to make them readable in a way ordinary users would struggle with? It's not even possible to advanced-edit the quotes to remove styling from what I've seen, and I've resorted to copy/pasting into Notepad and copying that back as plain text to paste into the forum.

5. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Isn't there anyway to do a paste that doesn't inherit the formatting of the copied text? I now in some applications and web forms if you a right click paste there an option for formatted and unformatted. Not sure how viable that is here. Or just have some kind of default to unformatted or uncolored text.

Regards,
    SB

6. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Any experienced Windows user will Ctrl-V even if a right-click option were available.

7. Rys

Rys Graphics @ AMD
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

I'll work out a fix in the next couple of weeks, just haven't had the time yet.

8. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

yes I've had that multiple times, also yesterday after I posted some text (that contained capital letters) I could not change my typed text from CAPITAL to non CAPITAL letters afterwards, tried everything (perhaps a select text and then click on reset formatting button would be the secret for this and other errors)
    another error, is copying and pasting within a reply doesnt work