PRISM - How safe do you feel?

Discussion in 'Politics & Ethics of Technology' started by BoardBonobo, Jun 9, 2013.

1. BoardBonobo

BoardBonobo My hat is white!
    Veteran

In the light of the PRISM leak how safe would you feel with a massively networked camera sitting in your living room?

2. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

You're including the cameras on your existing devices such as cell phones, tablets, and laptops?

3. Bagel seed

Veteran

I'd like to comment on that, but it would get stored in Google's servers.

4. liolio

liolio Aquoiboniste
    Legend

Well I don't care though it is bothering to notice such a waste of money as in 99.99999% it is just a waste of money /free abuse of power.

5. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

"land of the free'' :')

Well at least now we know Obama is an even bigger asshole than Bush.

6. dobwal

Veteran

PRISM? Is that what they call ECHELON now?

I can imagine millions playing COD, watching 24 or some other game/TV show and setting off millions of false red flags daily.

7. dobwal

Veteran

PRISM is older than obama's presidency.

8. shiznit

Regular Newcomer

I'm very pissed and concerned. My parents went through hell to bring us to a supposedly free country and now we have this. I'm wondering how far they will take it, if they can watch our thought forming as we type (the leaker said that not me) how long until we have secret 'precrime' laws? What I start typing "I really want to kill my GF", will agents show up at my door? What happens to me? Do I get charged with conspiracy to commit murder?

On a technical note, are all CAs compromised now?

Assuming Google and the rest aren't in on it, and assuming they can tap all or most of internet traffic, they still need to get around encryption. Either they are brute forcing every packet which would require technology that doesn't officially exist, or they are impersonating legit certs for every encrypted connection at which point reading and storing every single packet is trivial.

#8 shiznit, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
  9. BoardBonobo

BoardBonobo My hat is white!
    Veteran

Whilst they are all obvious points of interest, they are also transient and don't spend their time sitting in front of the TV watching the entire family 24/7. In the light of the PRISM leaks it would seem to be inviting clandestine activity to be recorded about your personal life.

10. Gipsel

Veteran

It's the successor or better an extension of it which doesn't rely on intercepting all transmissions directly.

But you are completely right. Nobody should be surprised that such a system exists (and probably some more not exposed so far). I wouldn't expect anything else. What have peoples thought the NSA is doing all day long with the vast budget and resources they have? They get them to be paranoid and collect all data they can get their hands on. That's their job. Did anybody really believe they would limit themselves? The law simply gets bent or broken when necessary (and also when most people would not deem it necessary). It has hardly stopped secret services/intelligence agencies from anything in the past and that won't change in the future.

11. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Yet get caught smoking some weed in certain parts of the USA and you spend the next 20 years behind bars :')

It's funny how governments always think everybody should follow the law, except for them.

12. RecessionCone

Regular Subscriber

Anyone ever read "1984", in which the government watched its citizens through their television sets?

13. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Now we know why xbox one is the way it is :lol:

14. Sxotty

Veteran

I wasn't aware that there is good evidence they are breaking the law. I thought they were following the law and the law that allowed this craziness was the problem.

15. pMax

Regular Newcomer

Law does not dictate if something is right or not.

i.e. killing people is not right. No matter if there is a law that allows you to do so.
    Same as raping women or worse.

Law is a thing, what is the right (or the wrong) thing to do is another.

Actually, there is ethic nation model currently -one which means a state where the laws dictate what is right or wrong....
    it was/is the communism state model.

16. Sxotty

Veteran

Blah blah yeah whatever.

Morals and legality are separate issues. You don't legislate morality and you don't make your laws on your morals. Killing someone is ok according to the law if you are defending yourself and many people would argue it is ok according to morals or ethics as well.

17. pMax

Regular Newcomer

That is exactly my point.

That's why it doesnìt really matter if NSA acted accordingly to laws or not, from a moral/ethic standpoint.

18. Daozang

Regular

I cannot begin to understand how some of you feel it's normal for anyone to spy on you.
    I bet, that if an individual did it, you'd want his head on a plate.

But when the government does it, it's OK, because it's for your own good...
    And if a corporation does, it's not that bad, because they will help you decide what will the, next needless thing you are going to buy, be.

One of the reasons I might never buy xbox one, is because of the camera.
    Not because it will spy on me. But because Microsoft didn't even bother to reassure me that they have taken every precaution necessary so that their product won't become Big Brother.
    They assume that the percentage of people that care about trivial things such as these, is to small to even address their issues.
    And they are probably right.