Prince of Persia: Sands of Time Remake

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by ToTTenTranz, Sep 11, 2020.

1. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

So Ubisoft took the critically acclaimed PS2 / Xbox game and revamped its graphics to look like erm.. a PS360 game..?

But why?

Lightman and milk like this.
  2. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Yeah, about that ... I had played the original on the Xbox 360 so during the beginning of the trailer I was thinking "Oh, yeah, I suppose that's what it looked like when I played it" only to find out that's their Remake Graphics on the Xbox One / PS4 systems.

Lightman likes this.
  3. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Slight correction, I had played Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands on the X360 and from my memory it didn't look far off from this Remake.

The X360's launch trailer and some gameplay:

4. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

That thing looks like a remaster than a remake

5. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

Why does it look like a PS3 ?

6. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Anvil engine aren't designed with time reversal. Source engine would have been better for this type of thing. Anvil is likely too optimized for open world.

7. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

This should not have been greenlit. If a studio shows these graphics at their vertical slice during pre-production, you either send them back do the drawing board, give another studio a chance, or you cancel the project outright. This does more damage to the brand than whatever sales it will manage would recoup. Shit, I'm not even sure it won't simply flop altogether.

Globalisateur and BRiT like this.
  8. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

9. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

Geez, the comparison with the PS3 version (not even PC's!) of Forgotten Sands makes it even more painful.

So this is apparently coming from Ubisoft Pune. I guess this was an experiment from Ubisoft HQ to see what the studio could do, since they're a former studio from Gameloft (famous for making quick off-brand games for smartphones) that got acquired 12 years ago.
    Since then, this studio had only been working on QA for other games and just dance titles. It's definitely not the pedigree we'd expect for picking up an otherwise strong franchise, but it reportedly has over 750 employees!

I do agree that opportunities need to be given to new teams seeking ambitious projects, but that doesn't justify how something like this trailer gets greenlit.
    It's not just bad for Ubisoft Pune, it's bad for Ubisoft and it weakens the value of the Prince of Persia franchise.

I also don't get how they brag about doing motion capture and implementing the latest Assassin's Creed engine for the game, just for everything to look so.. indie-ish.

milk and BRiT like this.
  10. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

Let's be real...It looks like trash.

milk likes this.
  11. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

Great that they took the time to make the experiment, I expect no less from a huge publisher. But the sight of this thing should never have left Ubi's office. It gives second-hand embarrassement.

12. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Indefinitely delayed...

milk likes this.