Previous "2900 XT Lacks UVD" Posts

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by thatdude90210, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatdude90210

Regular

This posted yet? http://www.hardspell.com/english/doc/showcont.asp?news_id=622

They mainly test HD decoding -- H.264, VC-1, at 1080p. Interesting in that the HD2600 & HD2400 performed very well, with very little CPU usage even with a fairly low end CPU. But the HD2900 didn't fare so well, it seems that they weren't able to get the kind of HD decode performance of the 2600/2400 chips... to the point where the reviewer theorized that the HD2900 did not have the UVD.

2. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

It's a bit fishy marketing, if true like it seems it is;
    Sure, they never said anywhere that UVD would be part of the full line-up, but they surely did give the impression it would be

Regardless of the issue, I'm again one step closer to build myself a htpc now that I'm moving to a new apartment together with my girlfriend, as we're both "movie freaks" to a degree, HTPC seems a lot better solution than watching movies from my computer since we don't have stand-alone DVD-player, let alone HD-DVD or BluRay player which we could never afford, buying the drives for PC will be a lot cheaper option, and with HD2400 being priced as low as it is, it's a damn perfect solution.

3. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

HD 2900 does not have UVD; it'll be paried with HD video capable CPU's. The drivers used in that test don't yet have decode acceleration enabled either, first revision of that comes with 8.38.

4. Zvekan

Newcomer

Could you than specify what does Avivo HD compromises of - as far as I can see it's abilities differ quite a lot between flagship, HD 2900, and other members of 2000 series?

It's quite obvious that UVD wasn't built in time, or you engineers couldn't spend additional budget to implement it in a monster consisting of around 700 million transistors, but then your solution isn't that much distinct from competition unfortunately....

What about AVP, I presume that it is also present only in HD 2600 and HD 2400 series?

Zvekan

5. Dave Baumann

Moderator Legend

"Avivo" has always been an umbrella term for various technologies, some of which sit outside of even a single graphics board. In terms of HD 2900 what takes it beyond previous generations is the inclusion of HDMI and HDMI audio, integrated HDCP with dual-link HDCP playback, and the fact that all the IQ capabilities are already applicable in HD as well as SD on HD 2900.

6. Zvekan

Newcomer

Sorry for bugging :), but are you saying that, for instance, users of X1900 Pro can't expect similar IQ enhancements in SD and HD video?

Disregarding additional strain that HD content brings regarding much bigger number of pixels?

Zvekan

7. Techno+

Regular

I had suspicions from the beginning. HD 2900 has 700 million transistors including the IO RAMDACS etc, while the G80, whose output is through the NVIO chip has 681 million transistors.

8. Sampsa

Newcomer

Dave, big sites like Anandtech, Tom's Hardware and Tech Report are claiming that R600 features UVD, even Beyond3D writes: "All '6-family products and the GPUs that drive them contain a new video decoder block called UVD, or Unified Video Decoder". Quite alot misinformation floating around?

Also GeCube's Radeon HD 2900 XT retail box has UVD listed as feature:

http://www.gecube.com/cms_file.php?id=2602

Is this one big misunderstanding or what's going on? Thanks.

9. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

GeCube better change those boxes before someone gets sued.

10. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Sampsa? Like the Sampsa? Or hommage to a legend? :lol:

I've seen the docs, I understand where the confusion crept in, but the settling consensus is no UVD in R600.

11. INKster

Veteran

Hilbert said so too.

This sums up the confusion between what "Avivo HD" and "UVD" really stand for.

12. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Well, go back to the earliest references to UVD. It's clearly aimed at midrange and value systems. So it's pretty consistent from that pov. I could quote from AMD's document why people got confused. . .and quote further from the same document why they shouldn't have been. Sometimes sh*t happens. It's regrettable, but I'm not seeing a conspiracy here.

13. ECH

ECH
    Regular

Actually no it doesn't when it's found on the HD 2900Xt packaging of:
    GeCube and the back of the HIS packaging. Therefore, what am I to believe:
    -someone who posts on a forum
    -what's clearly placed on the package itself at the time of sale
    Which do I believe in a case like this? Also, if this video card does not have UVD why is is placed on the packaging?

14. Dave Baumann

Moderator Legend

If you take a look at GeCubes press release they had it correct in the first place. That was a mock up packaging shot and isn't used on retail boxes.

Sorry? ;)

15. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

Game, set, match?

[​IMG]

16. cadaveca

Newcomer

MY HIS boxes say UVD too, I'm off to the courthouse tomorrow. Thanks Dave!:lol:

Razor1 likes this.
  17. Topman

Newcomer

From newegg
    [​IMG]

From Gecube site (corrected)
    [​IMG]
    its a pure and simple confusion ... Gecube, HIS... ?

back to the topic, please!

The *real* and important question:
    HD 2900XT AVIVOHD < ??? > GF 8800GTX PUREVIDEO ?
    HD 2400/2600 UVD < ??? > GF 8500/8600 VP2 ?

bye

18. Sound_Card

Regular

you don't take it to a court house, unless your looking for a warrent for ATI's arrest.:lol:

19. cadaveca

Newcomer

Justice department, consumer affairs, gotta file complaint with consumer affairs, and claims court at the courthouse. Obviously you've never sued anyone before, obviously I have. AMD's paying for laywers, in the least, or I automatically win.

the law? well, it can be found right here:

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc/cs/C-38/bo-ga:s_4//en#anchorbo-ga:s_4

Add to that the fact I bought this card online as well, and you have online sales fraud as well. That can elad to arrests, for sure. This gets prettier by the minute.:roll:

20. ECH

ECH
    Regular

His has UVD on the back of the box
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.