Pretending to surrender, then attacking

Sxotty

Legend
Well what do youguys think of this?

Do you think perhaps Saddam sprinkled a few loyal people so that the troops actually thought they were surrendering and then a few started shooting which would lead to them all getting killed?

Or do you think it was information that all of the surrendurees had

In addition I just wonder what you think of this as a tactic, I mean besides the obvious, it seems rather short sighted to me, I mean it makes it harder to surrender later.

I mean it makes it harder to surrender later

Ah, but Saddam doesn't want his troops to surrender....ever. Never before in history has he given thought to the safety of his people, so why start now? It could also be a spin tactic...you know, like the Iraqi press spinning it to sound like "an entire troop of caolition forces couldn't even take a few poorly armed soldiers"....something like that.

I doubt this is happening... those military who surrender are interned if Im not mistaken. The 51st division whose commander surrendered was unable to deliver some of his troops who chose to fight on.

I would find it pretty suicidal for saboteurs to engage in attcks in the midst of surrendering troops in order to get em all killed. I think thats happening is that iraqi divisions have loyal and weak elements whithin themselves. Probably the ratio of loyal elements will increase and coalition gets closer to baghdad. They and civvies who are taking part in actions see only 2 channels of TV ... They dont see cnn like the rest of us.

I havent seen any proof of people who surrender then fight on later...

Well I know what people believe is all based on what they want to, but here is what I heard, on NPR I heard it first, here is a link from cnn
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/03/23/sprj.irq.war.main/index.html

In addition, Iraqi troops have attacked U.S. troops on two occasions after signaling their intent to surrender, Lt. Gen. John Abizaid said.

Pax, what I meant was that although the Iraqi's would suffer casulaties they would inflict a greater amount of death on the Coalition forces if they attacked while surrendering, and it would force those who were actually going to surrender to fight or be caught in the cross fire, like shooting those who would surrender in the back kinda.

United States officials said Iraqi forces used ``ruses'' to lure American troops into traps. ``In one incident a flag of surrender was displayed and it was followed up by artillery fire,'' said Gen. John Abizaid, a spokesman at Central Command.

In another incident, he said, Iraqi troops dressed in civilian clothes appeared to welcome United States forces but then ambushed them.

that is from NYtimes, http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/23/international/worldspecial/23CND-IRAQ.html

Hard to see this as an efficient tactic. To signal surrender is to single your position... this is just plain weird. When surrendering its usually the troops surrendering who have to obey a strict protocol by coming out of their positions, waving white flag, showing in the open that they are unarmed ect...

How one can do an ambush with that is beyond me... Evidence of surrendering troops to me who then 'ambush' would have to be seriously documented, videotaped ect... this is one bit of news I have serious doubts about.

Unless coalition forces are far more incompetent than I ever thought they could be...

pax said:
Hard to see this as an efficient tactic. To signal surrender is to single your position... this is just plain weird. When surrendering its usually the troops surrendering who have to obey a strict protocol by coming out of their positions, waving white flag, showing in the open that they are unarmed ect...

How one can do an ambush with that is beyond me... Evidence of surrendering troops to me who then 'ambush' would have to be seriously documented, videotaped ect... this is one bit of news I have serious doubts about.

Unless coalition forces are far more incompetent than I ever thought they could be...

Up till now, the coalition has taken a relaxed stance on surrenders. Generally, it was hoped that people would cooperate and there wouldn't be a need for internment, meaning less work for the coalition to do.

These ambushes are going to put an end to that policy, slow us down, and make it much harder for those who do want to surrender to surrender.

Heres how you could do it, have a few people surrender, and then have a bunch of people hidden, when the coalition comes to get them they jump up and shoot them in the face.

Sxotty said:
Heres how you could do it, have a few people surrender, and then have a bunch of people hidden, when the coalition comes to get them they jump up and shoot them in the face.

thats what I found weird... if Russ is right and protocols were relaxed this will have to change... Nromal procddure would see them all file out of their positions in single file no weapons and arms on head... process them and do a head count then move in assuminhg there are still some left in the town\area...

Back