Predicting XB1 and PS4 sales *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

RudeCurve

Banned
Finally some actual numbers...instead of FUD.

Interesting that the "universally panned by professional critics" 900p Ryse did as well as SONY's OMG best 1080p graphics evah FPS...:p

Gotta go buy some bread..running short...:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting that the "universally panned by professional critics" Ryse did as well as SONY's OMG best 1080p graphics evah FPS...:p

Interesting how?

Both games look fantastic which i would guess was the main selling point for both games, hardly surprising that good looking, even if below average playwise, games sell good. Countless of examples of that, especially when the game selection is thin and the consoles are new.

It's surprising because the gamers did not listen to the "professional reviews"...of Ryse. What's even more interesting is the fact DR3 did better...blows my mind.

KZSF is a FPS and runs at 1080p which should've given it the edge when talking about mainstream gamers right off the bat...but the numbers prove that 1080p don't matter all that much in terms of sales. The fact DR3 runs at 720p just makes that much more evident.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's surprising because the gamers did not listen to the "professional reviews"...of Ryse. What's even more interesting is the fact DR3 did better...blows my mind.

The people who did what you're calling "professional reviews" actually gave the game a higher score than the people who bought it (and consequently felt disappointed with the game).
Out of all release titles, DR3 is the non-sports single-platform game with the best review scores, by far.
Nothing mindblowing to see.

KZSF is a FPS and runs at 1080p which should've given it the edge when talking about mainstream gamers right off the bat...but the numbers prove that 1080p don't matter all that much in terms of sales. The fact DR3 runs at 720p just makes that much more evident.

IQ is something that would make someone incline to one platform or another.
Once the customer is stuck to the platform, he/she will just tend to buy the best games for said platform.

Besides, if people were waiting for 1080p in the xbone, all they could play would be forza motorsport, kinect sports and ea sports games. Sports, sports sports! TV! Sports, sports, TV, TV! Call of Duty, Dog..

When you need DF to tell you which version looks better most people aren't going to care about the difference.

MS holding the overall NPD software lead is probably just down to them having more quality titles at launch.

The people who did what you're calling "professional reviews" actually gave the game a higher score than the people who bought it (and consequently felt disappointed with the game).
Out of all release titles, DR3 is the non-sports single-platform game with the best review scores, by far.
Nothing mindblowing to see.

There's no prooof that those reviews are legit or that they're actual owners...what did they ask for a receipt? Look at the verified purchase reviews on Amazon from actual owners..it's 4 stars...so no actual owners did not rate it lower than "professional reviewers"...

Errr what? You are comparing two different games on two different platforms and deriving some kind of weird conclusion, that apparently resolution doesn't matter? :LOL:

Sorry, you completely lost me there. Games sold is directly tied to consoles sold. If a person already went through the effort to buy one of these new next gen consoles, they will look at what games interest them - which, in a pond of around 20 games (with 2-4 must haves and the rest mediocre games or ports and/or available on last gen consoles) it isn't that far fetched that the top crop games (considered to be DR3, KZ:SF, BF4, CoD:G, AC4, F5 etc) will get the most exposure and sales.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if a substantial part of sales are not accounted for because they were sold directly through Live or PSN which are not tracked in these numbers. From all the people I know who currently own a PS4 console - all games have been bought through DD while on the PS3, all of them used to buy disk-copies. While games sold through retail are still a major number, I would bet anything that this generation, both XbOne and PS4 will sell a more significant amount through DD than the generation before. Perhaps we'll see some numbers when both Sony and MS release their quarterly report.

When you need DF to tell you which version looks better most people aren't going to care about the difference.

Most people read the DF article to see which version is better because they only have one platform so they can't actually see which is better. In that case, they care just out of curiosity (or to b*tch about it in forums), not to make a purchase decision.

Gamers with both consoles will still go to the DF article before purchasing a multiplatform game, perhaps to help them decide which version they should buy - if they base their decision on IQ.

I don't agree that the need to read a DF article to ascertain which version looks better, automatically makes the difference negligible. At times the difference is more evident than others.

That's all.

Interesting that the "universally panned by professional critics" 900p Ryse did as well as SONY's OMG best 1080p graphics evah FPS...:p

The problem is that KZ competing directly with BF and CoD and the KZ franchise obviously isn't as popular as the other two.
If it's purely about graphics, then Ryse should sold the most, but instead you've got DR3.. that is a more lol worth moment than comparing KZ to Ryse.

Most people read the DF article to see which version is better because they only have one platform so they can't actually see which is better. In that case, they care just out of curiosity (or to b*tch about it in forums), not to make a purchase decision.

Gamers with both consoles will still go to the DF article before purchasing a multiplatform game, perhaps to help them decide which version they should buy - if they base their decision on IQ.
There are also those people who don't own a console yet (one may be surprised that not every PS360 owner rushed out and bought an XB1 or PS4 over Christmas...) who want to see which performs best prior to making their purchasing decision. Or if not best, will their first-choice console offer a good-enough experience. After last gen where it was obvious thanks to the likes of DF that, all other things being equal, you'd want an XB360 for most 3rd party games it offered a smoother/higher quality experience, one can hardly blame folk for wanting the skinny on the new machines to make a decent purchasing decision.

And I'll also add that it seems the world at large isn't populated by rabid brand-obsessed fanboys as shown by the shift in brand sales (PS on top, then Wii and XB strong, now Wii U in the gutter and PS4 being the current hip choice for the internet), and will quite happily jump brand for a 'better' experience. So, without ties to either PS or XB from brand loyalty, Joe Consumer is going to want to have decent coverage of the pros and cons of both platforms. I think that's often forgotten on gaming websites where the hobby is more often influenced by brand ties.

There are also those people who don't own a console yet (one may be surprised that not every PS360 owner rushed out and bought an XB1 or PS4 over Christmas...) who want to see which performs best prior to making their purchasing decision. Or if not best, will their first-choice console offer a good-enough experience. After last gen where it was obvious thanks to the likes of DF that, all other things being equal, you'd want an XB360 for most 3rd party games it offered a smoother/higher quality experience, one can hardly blame folk for wanting the skinny on the new machines to make a decent purchasing decision.

And I'll also add that it seems the world at large isn't populated by rabid brand-obsessed fanboys as shown by the shift in brand sales (PS on top, then Wii and XB strong, now Wii U in the gutter and PS4 being the current hip choice for the internet), and will quite happily jump brand for a 'better' experience. So, without ties to either PS or XB from brand loyalty, Joe Consumer is going to want to have decent coverage of the pros and cons of both platforms. I think that's often forgotten on gaming websites where the hobby is more often influenced by brand ties.

And that too.

My point that DF articles not being without merit, as some people pretend to believe, still stands. If anything you reinforced it.

Nothing mindblowing to see

Ryse and DR3 was well received broadly by every person that I read that actually played it, tens of tens people singing its praises on GAF nearly universally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

As i thought, Sony being pretty supply constrained is going to hurt them in the US. Its a matter of priority, i suppose they figured that a higher WW average is better than a higher US average. But if demand keeps up like this, they probably can afford to wait until stock evens out for all territories. But i will say that they should be wary of letting MS get too far ahead.

If they want to win decisively, they have to break MS in their home territory, or else MS will simply coast on the US as they did with 360.

As i thought, Sony being pretty supply constrained is going to hurt them in the US. Its a matter of priority, i suppose they figured that a higher WW average is better than a higher US average. But if demand keeps up like this, they probably can afford to wait until stock evens out for all territories. But i will say that they should be wary of letting MS get too far ahead.

If they want to win decisively, they have to break MS in their home territory, or else MS will simply coast on the US as they did with 360.

I just wanted to point out that the PS4 is still actually ahead in the US. By a couple somewhere ~200K units if the reported numbers we have are correct.

MS is obviously allocating more units to the US than Sony though. If we take December, then MS allocated more than 900K units while Sony was only ~850K (MS must have allocated more to have sold that many and still had supply, how much more is debatable but not important for the point I'm trying to make). So the question of whether or not the XBox overtakes Sony before they are no longer supply limited comes down to whether the XBox One's demand is higher than Sony's allocation, and by how much.

If I was Sony, I honestly wouldn't change much at this point. Then again, I also wouldn't change much if I was MS - I would just push to get release done in the countries I missed.

They already won short term, they have beat MS in every territory and sold out completely while XB1 sales have stalled and units are on shelves. MS would have been better served to spread those unit to a few more territories, but I suspect the OS features were not ready for most other regions.

much, much better than many people ever expected for the past year for MS when they were considered to be on their way to being Dreamcasted. :LOL:

Did you expect them to be dreamcasted? if not then who expected them to be dreamcasted? Are we talking after the disaster reveal? Before the complete 180 on the DRM? After they ditched a worldwide launch? When exactly in time are you comparing the expectations to the actual sale?

With all the backpedaling on the stupid things they had planned and the shrinked launch they were in a good place to deliver sales in the most busy month of the year in the most important and by far biggest market with a machine that has (TV) functions that targets that exact region.

Microsoft deserves to do good with all that in mind, anything else would be strange imho.

Microsofts real challenge is to sell outside USA, where the TV function doesn't work, where the localization has to be extremely good to make the exclusive functions special. That is where the fight os going to be..

If Sony can ship as many in Jan as they did in Dec, they could easy sell 2x-3x PS4s as MS sells XB1, unless demand suddenly hits a wall which is beyond the horizon at this point.
I would be very surprised. I've read a few folks predicting continued low availability due to high demand until March or April but I can't see any basis for such optimistic predictions. All that can be said today is that demand for PS4, at least based on low stock in quite a few places, continues to outpace supply. But that could change quickly. It could change tomorrow or with the next bulk shipment arriving.

I would be very surprised. I've read a few folks predicting continued low availability due to high demand until March or April but I can't see any basis for such optimistic predictions. All that can be said today is that demand for PS4, at least based on low stock in quite a few places, continues to outpace supply. But that could change quickly. It could change tomorrow or with the next bulk shipment arriving.

Let's say they shipped 850k in Dec, but there are many people still waiting for units to purchase, you don't think they can sell 400k-600k in Jan if they ship another 850k? They are selling for over retail still via middlemen ($500 on Amazon), so there are people buying. The question is with unlimited retail units in the wild, when does the demand dry up? We have no data on that yet, demand has not dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back