Predict: Next gen console tech (9th iteration and 10th iteration edition) [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised about the fact that consoles are already considered "inadeguate" to fulfill developers/customers' ambitions/dreams/expectations.
Really,that was quick.

Last edited:
I could also

You didn't read the next sentence? "Not only that you would technically kick start the "next gen" and Sony would be in an awkward position to respond after just releasing a iterative spec'd console."

I read everything... I just don't believe there will be a next-gen as we know it to be. Something that Sony's Yoshida offhandedly mentioned about the PS5 not being a thing. I can see (or picture) Microsoft and Sony following a more lucrative hardware refresh cycle path, than waiting 8-10yrs on doing so. It makes business sense on keeping games backward/forward capable, yet having the flexibility of offering higher IQ and better performance, without the hassles of a new launch.

So whatever awkwardness there is, shouldn't be. As gamers should expect these (refreshes) changes to be competitive in nature.

I'm still completely flabbergasted that a lot of guys on this very forum are so against getting much more powerful hardware, when most people were also complaining that the current hardware is underpowered, until 5 minutes ago!

THIS IS A GOOD THING!
I set aside $1000 for a pascal GPU. Lol I'm effin worried. I already invested in a new CPU/Mobo/RAM as well as G-sync monitor.

I read everything... I just don't believe there will be a next-gen as we know it to be. Something that Sony's Yoshida offhandedly mentioned about the PS5 not being a thing. I can see (or picture) Microsoft and Sony following a more lucrative hardware refresh cycle path, than waiting 8-10yrs on doing so. It makes business sense on keeping games backward/forward capable, yet having the flexibility of offering higher IQ and better performance, without the hassles of a new launch.

So whatever awkwardness there is, shouldn't be, as gamers should expect these (refreshes) changes to be competitive in nature.
I meant "next gen" in terms of generational leap in hardware. Not really in terms of software and game compatibility.

I am surprised about the fact that consoles are already considerare "inadeguate" to fulfill developers/customers' ambitions/dreams/expectations.
Really,that was quick.
But they're not inadequate. Could the current games run better on new hardware that can be produced at around the same price as PS4 was at launch? Yes! Are current PS4s going to stop working the day Neo launches? No!

I meant "next gen" in terms of generational leap in hardware. Not really in terms of software and game compatibility.

That's what I'm getting at. I don't see that happening anymore...

I don't see major shifts from one hardware gen to another happening anymore. Only hardware refreshes... and better, more refined software around them. But that's my view anyhow...

But they're not inadequate. Could the current games run better on new hardware that can be produced at around the same price as PS4 was at launch? Yes! Are current PS4s going to stop working the day Neo launches? No!

It depends to whom you ask :yep2:
DF and many others think consoles are not good enough. (don't listen to them)
Developers,? WelI, I don't know...I would love to know but they will never say (professional/suicide)

Last edited:
That's what I'm getting at. I don't see that happening anymore...

I don't see major shifts from one hardware gen to another happening anymore. Only hardware refreshes... and better, more refined software around them. But that's my view anyhow...
That seems to be what Sony is doing.

With Xbox One Microsoft released a console that was so underpowered that almost anything they launch will be more than an iterative refresh.

You're saying that there would be more reason to pick up XBN just because it has 20% more GPU power? Which in today's world is almost completely lost to diminishing returns?
As you know, the idea is a massively more powerful console. 20% makes little odds, although...
I thought the more compelling reason to pick up one console over an almost identical one was exclusive games, features, general management of the platform (i.e. don't fuck up the reveal!)
...what room is there to compete in these departments? I don't think people are looking at XB1, seeing its ecosystem, prefering it, but buying PS4 instead because of power. I think by-and-large there's little to differentiate beyond the exclusives, and there's little room to maneouvre as well. So a new console can't offer a super awesome ecosystem or features to differentiate (beyond hardware gimmick) and can only compete on price or power. I think.

The fact that consoles are now effectively using PC commodity hardware may make selling at a loss more possible economically because costs will drop faster than traditional console hardware did.

If they started selling at $50-100 loss they could be break even within a year.

OK my prediction

Xbox next:
8 core zen cpu
Vega 10 GPU, 64 CU's, ~10TFlops
16GB HBM2 memory

Price $499 (actual cost > $600)

Launch 2017
If they announced specs like that previously to PS4 Neo, Sony's new console could end up being dreamcasted.Sony must have the plan quite clear because being the first and with so many new powerful stuff coming out next months is very easy for MS to go all in.Who knows, MS could even leave consoles altogether and Sony could know it.

That seems unlikely to me. A new XB would be premature I think. Devs are still working on this gen as a baseline target. PS4N is just an optional extra for gamers, but the target is still PS4 and this gen. Would gamers migrate en masse to a new super powered console and require devs to transition to the new target? As I say, it may just be PC-like, running the same games dialled up. What if it wasn't even an XBox, but a Windows Box?! :runaway: Could be super powered, super priced, offering a different service and experience, playing XB1 games through emulation and Windows games in full fat, meaning devs just treat it like a high end PC rather than a new console target. Because I really don't think devs want a new gen to start so soon. Say, on a progressive hardware model, double power every two years with progressive engines rolling up to the next performance target, instead of needing a massive change in creation between last and next gen hardware because the delta is so vast.

That seems unlikely to me. A new XB would be premature I think. Devs are still working on this gen as a baseline target. PS4N is just an optional extra for gamers, but the target is still PS4 and this gen. Would gamers migrate en masse to a new super powered console and require devs to transition to the new target? As I say, it may just be PC-like, running the same games dialled up. What if it wasn't even an XBox, but a Windows Box?! :runaway: Could be super powered, super priced, offering a different service and experience, playing XB1 games through emulation and Windows games in full fat, meaning devs just treat it like a high end PC rather than a new console target. Because I really don't think devs want a new gen to start so soon. Say, on a progressive hardware model, double power every two years with progressive engines rolling up to the next performance target, instead of needing a massive change in creation between last and next gen hardware because the delta is so vast.
Well,If MS gives this gen for lost,that is quite probable,they have two options: make nothing and base the future on windows store or kill the gen with a new more powerful console.In the last case PS4 would be still the base due to the installed base but XB3 games could end up being more similar to top of the line PC versions.

What devs want is irrelevant!
The long console life cycle has been comfortable for developers and customer alike (customers get their long overdue expectancy product while developers have time to adapt) but if the IF customers want more powerful hardware and often you must give it to them otherwise, well, you are out of business.
If PSNeo is real and it will have success then kiss goodbye to the 5years log console life cycle and welcome the "a new model every 18 months cycle"! (which will last little anyway given the technological challenges of getting significantly more powerful hardware for a reasonable price every iteration)

Last edited:
Don't confuse developers and publishers. Developers probably want the latest and greatest hardware at all times where as publishers want a just want a massive single spec install base that makes it economically feasible to develop for.

Well,If MS gives this gen for lost,that is quite probable,they have two options: make nothing and base the future on windows store or kill the gen with a new more powerful console.In the last case PS4 would be still the base due to the installed base but XB3 games could end up being more similar to top of the line PC versions.
I don't think hardware manufacturers can dictate the movements of the market that way, unless they have a monopoly. Thatis, I don't think Sony nor MS can say, "next gen starts when we say so." It's happened before when more powerful machines have appeared but the market hasn't adopted then, because of price etc. A $400 super console? Might well do it. A $600 super console? I reckon that'd stay niche. Of course if the software scales than it'll just be another option for gamers, so they'll have power tiers of XB1 > PS4 > PS4N > XBII - pick your poison. But those tiers will be old gen > half gen > next-gen, while the software is all old gen. Unless old gen gets dropped.

If Microsoft really wants go full troll mode they'd announce a monster spec console and call it Xbox 5 right after Sony announces PS4 nEo. Skip over 4 like they did by skipping over Windows 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back