[PR] BD-ROM in Next Playstation

Uh, one can not discuss consoles by not bringing in Sont at some point of the discussion.
In console forums, it is understandable there are more topics and posters discussing something Sony related, as Sony is the biggest name in consoles today, and Sony's future technology raises the most guestions and interest.
I see very little Sony funboi'ish messages in these boards... I see many posts about Sony, often talking in positive tone... but that doesn't make them funbois, just optimistic ;)

What I find more disturbing is the Sony hata(s), who constantly pick every single post that has anything not negative to say about Sony console products.

PC-Engine said:
Why Sony fans and not GC, DC, PVR, NVidia, ATI, Sega, etc? I don't know. /shrug

Because the SONY fans swamp the boards. :LOL:

Yep. And a simple innocent thread about BR being really really really really really confirmed for PS3 is abviously your target. Ruin this thread as well, PCEngine, it's all yours!!

:|

Isn't there too much difference between a 2x* BRD drive and a 16x* DVD drive? That would be 72Mb/s for the BRD drive, and 177Mb/s for the DVD drive...
*Guesstimations, though, a 4x BRD drive, might do the trick.

Developers would have to choose between capacity of storage and data transfer speed.

Vysez said:
Isn't there too much difference between a 2x* BRD drive and a 16x* DVD drive? That would be 72Mb/s for the BRD drive, and 177Mb/s for the DVD drive...
*Guesstimations, though, a 4x BRD drive, might do the trick.

Developers would have to choose between capacity of storage and data transfer speed.

I think, ultimately the gain in storage space will outweigh the loss in transfer speed (if any, it's still unclear).

Yep. And a simple innocent thread about BR being really really really really really confirmed for PS3 is abviously your target. Ruin this thread as well, PCEngine, it's all yours!!

At least my posts are about the technology based on reality instead of wishful thinking or about other posters.. ;)

You really need to stop following people around like a little kid who's desparate for attention and instead contribute something based on reality relevent to the topic. :LOL:

Why don't you comment on this 8 layer BRD announcent? Let's see what you've got...

Here's more of my take:

What's the significance of an 8-layer BRD coming out around 2010? Will PS3 benefit from this? PS4? Should we even talk about PS4 now?

I really love playing Devil's Advocate. Who are you to stop me? ;)

Deepak said:
Evil_Cloud said:
That's one way to stop pirates who download from the internet... Make your games ten times bigger or more than their download and upload limit. Who'd download 200GB? :LOL:

But they can certainly copy 200GB....

Sure, but it will stop at least a part of the piracy. The Blu-ray disc format will help as well initially. I am not saying the won't be able to copy games anymore, but it will get more difficult, resulting in less pirates (maybe this will change again when Blu-ray gets bigger).

One can use up given space every time - why? Because it sits there to be used!

m26107.jpg

Well, I'm not sure what texture sizes these beasts will be able to shoot out, but we're hoping they'll aim for 6x the resolution and MANY times the model complexity commonly, I'd like them to get all the room they can use. ^_^ If 54GB is the next easy step after 9GB, so be it. Hehe...

No doubt plenty of games wouldn't need that for the entire generation, but then plenty of games don't need more than 1GB now. I don't tend to drool over THOSE games, though. ;) If it makes for fewer design constraints... Bring on the noise!

(And especially bring it on if it means I don't have to buy a separate player for next-generation's HD media. ;) )

Vince:
One company is pushing the envelope and is committed to putting a next-generation medium into their box.
Sony's as committed to pushing the envelope here as Microsoft was when they bundled Internet Explorer with Windows for 'a more seamless integration of the internet into computer applications'. They're just using their success in one market to try to grab control of another because they're unhappy with the amount of control they're allowed in the DVD consortium. They'd actually have a point if Blu-ray offered some critical advantage for upcoming delivery of high definition movies over HD-DVD, but such requirement of the next media standard can be met by HD-DVD too.

Blu-ray trades away more compatibility with old manufacturing resources than HD-DVD for non-crucial gains. That's not pushing the envelope; that's being wasteful of resources. They should wait to instead come back with the holographic storage techologies they're involved in that've been in development for many years now in order to offer something worthwhile.

Lazy8s said:
Vince:
They'd actually have a point if Blu-ray offered some critical advantage for upcoming delivery of high definition movies over HD-DVD, but such requirement of the next media standard can be met by HD-DVD too.
'cept storage. Since I don't care one whit about the costs of adoption (merely the cost of the disks themselves, which will be to DVD what DVD is to CD now, regardless of actual manufacturing costs) I can effectively say Blu-Ray has the technical advantage. ;) Heck, if the hard-coating can be done good and cheap as well, I'd love THAT change to happen as well! I'm sick and F'ing tired of CD/DVD scratches, and there's shit-all ever done about it. <grumbles> From a technical perspective, they seem to be identical in basically every other way.

Only other thing is "how they can advance," and on that point no one knows. (Though I believe we've heard more about future quad-layering/etc from Blu-Ray's camp than HD-DVD. Not that that means anything.)

Of course Sony IS using it for personal advantage and not some altruistic purposes, but I approve regardless. ;) It benefits the consumer in the end, and at the moment it just looks more solid and interesting anyway. (Heck, I even approve just of "shaking things up" as far as the mass-producers go. I'd rather they embrace new techniques and equipment rather than let current procedures be of primary consideration and potentiall bog them down. It'll only help more for HVD and beyond, to boot.)

Evil_Cloud said:
Deepak said:
Evil_Cloud said:
That's one way to stop pirates who download from the internet... Make your games ten times bigger or more than their download and upload limit. Who'd download 200GB? :LOL:

But they can certainly copy 200GB....

Sure, but it will stop at least a part of the piracy. The Blu-ray disc format will help as well initially. I am not saying the won't be able to copy games anymore, but it will get more difficult, resulting in less pirates (maybe this will change again when Blu-ray gets bigger).

I think online downloads are only a fraction of piracy (as far as games are concerned), it is copying which is a HUGE worry.

When PS3 launches with BR drive, it is likely that the first games will be still on regular (2-layer) DVD's, just like the first PS2 games were on CD's.
What has this got to do with anything discussed here.... nothing :)

rabidrabbit said:
When PS3 launches with BR drive, it is likely that the first games will be still on regular (2-layer) DVD's, just like the first PS2 games were on CD's.

Really? Which games?

Deepak said:
rabidrabbit said:

Really? Which games?

Some of the first games. Tekken Tag for one.... Some others..

try:

Ridge racer V
Tekken Tag team
Fantavision
Dead or Alive

and an whole slew of others.....

Heck we still have titles like Gradius 5 on CD, so I'm betting we'll an fair share of titles on CD as appropriate

Back