[PR] BD-ROM in Next Playstation

scei5.jpg

Link

"Sony will announce next month that it developed an 8-layer version of the Blu-ray Disc that is capable of storing 200GB of data, according to a company spokesperson."

"The adoption of Blu-ray Disc for PlayStation 3 is seen as a major advancement for the format by Sony, because of the success of PlayStation and PlayStation 2 (news - web sites) in promoting the adoption of DVD, Takamine says. PlayStation 3 will probably have compatibility with the 54GB version of the Blu-ray Disc, which can store about six times more data than a current DVD, according to Sony. The PlayStation 3 could be compatible with smaller-capacity Blu-ray Discs, according to Sony."

More in the article.

The company further plans to commercialize a 4-layer 100GB version in 2007, says Sony spokesperson Taro Takamine.

Sounds expensive...

Since the 4-layer version won't be available until 2007, I wouldn't hold my breath for the 8-layer version. :LOL:

Wasn't this "confirmed" a month back or so?

At the moment, I'm waiting to see what the response will be. ;) Microsoft's wanting to launch earlier and haven't said much yet, so it'll be interesting to see what they do. I kinda figured Sony would hold off on any real announcements until it was "too late to change" for certain parties if they didn't expect them to go through with it.

...but I guess developers need to know the optical capabilities as early as possible in game design, so they'd probably only be hurting themselves. Plus, with next generation actually BEING truly aligned to HDTV's capabilities, you pretty much have to expect the ROM's to follow suit.

PC-Engine, Do you ever make positive comments? Lets put some perspective here:

• One company is pushing the envelope and is committed to putting a next-generation medium into their box.
  • The other's current specs given to developers shows that they're going to use the same DVD media that's in use today and has been since last generations consoles (circa 2000).
Nevermind, for argument sake, the 100GB and 200GB discs that will exist -- that's just gravy.... relatively speaking.

So what stops the hd-dvd guys from making 8 layer hd dvds ?

as for the next gen. Nothing is set in stone. If the xbox 2 does indeed launch in 2005 with just reqular dvd it will hurt it a little. But of course a year later box would be able to put better media in it .

Though hd - dvd hasn't been ruled out yet.

jvd said:
So what stops the hd-dvd guys from making 8 layer hd dvds ?
Nothing. It'd end up being smaller, but I don't think anyone knows what the continuance of next gen's disks will be like. I'm not actually sure what they're arguing about, except I figure Vince is responding to a perceived mocking tone in PC's response.
as for the next gen. Nothing is set in stone. If the xbox 2 does indeed launch in 2005 with just reqular dvd it will hurt it a little. But of course a year later box would be able to put better media in it .
True, but I'm not sure how much that will help. We were talking about this a while back regarding the possibility of two PS3 models--one with BR and one without--or the possibility of their including it with their first redesign.

How would developers support the unit? Would there just end up being a few "premiere" titles, as developers would be loathe to spend extra time and money programming for and distributing to two mediums, while aiming for DVD only would cover all the machines involved? Would the quality of HD-based games not be much greater in general, if there were millions more DVD-based units out there? It didn't look good for multiple BR models, and I don't think it looks good if a system follows an upgrade like that either. Quality improvements within the same medium I can see (and we have seen, certainly), but upgrading the media seems like it would mainly just benefit people looking to play movies or other content, rather than being really advantageous to the games. (Short of first-party efforts truly wanting to show it off.)

Nothing is written in stone, of course. On Microsoft's part, it may well depend what their gameplan is from here on out. Would using DVD be more advantageous to cross-marketing Xbox2 with the PC environment? (Which is certainly not going to embrace another ROM any time soon. Hell, we're only NOW starting to get DVD-released games commonly! o_O ) Are they going to try to merge the Xbox endeavor closer to PC's within the next gen, and shrink the Xbox 3's release even further? Say, three years? (Which would give them a quick leap over Sony and Nintendo, and let them get into next-generation's ROMs when fully established.)

Who knows? Though I'd REALLY like to peer through their timetables... ;)

it would make things very interesting if Microsoft followed up a DVD-ROM based Xbox 2 with a BD-ROM Xbox 3 in 2007-2008.

NEC released its sucessor to the PC Engine only 2 years after the original
(fall 87 ===> fall 89) ...although the sucessor failed miserably.

by 2006-2007 ATI should be able to surpass PS3 technology in every way, paving the way for an Xbox 3 release in 2007 or 2008.

course, i doubt anything like this will happen but you never know.

Vince said:
PC-Engine, Do you ever make positive comments? Lets put some perspective here:

With regard to Sony? Where have you been? He says that he doesn't have a bias against Sony just the fan boys. Why Sony fans and not GC, DC, PVR, NVidia, ATI, Sega, etc? I don't know. /shrug

I can see Microsoft trying to push in this direction, however, since any bit closer to the PC paradigm they get benefits them and hurts Sony and Nintendo. The question is whether the support and interest would be there in the developer community to embrace a move like that, or if it will rift developers back out into "computer" and "console" camps again. I don't think Microsoft would try a move like this unless XNA proves and establishes itself, though.

Megadrive1988 said:
it would make things very interesting if Microsoft followed up a DVD-ROM based Xbox 2 with a BD-ROM Xbox 3 in 2007-2008.

NEC released its sucessor to the PC Engine only 2 years after the original
(fall 87 ===> fall 89) ...although the sucessor failed miserably.

by 2006-2007 ATI should be able to surpass PS3 technology in every way, paving the way for an Xbox 3 release in 2007 or 2008.

course, i doubt anything like this will happen but you never know.

MD, where do you get such crazy ideas from? :LOL:

Md . I"m not saying tha in 2005 a dvd xenon comes out and in 2006 a hd dvd version comes out .

I'm saying that the later a console launches the better media you could put in.

SO a ps3 in 2006/7 is going to launch with better media . IF the ps3 came out in 2009 it would come out with even better media .

THats the way it works .

I don't think a hd dvd player will matter , nore will blue ray .

IF they can add it in great . If they can't whatever. I just want to play games on my video console .

jvd said:
I'm saying that the later a console launches the better media you could put in.
True, but there's always some sway due to how much of a hit the companies are willing to take to get the tech out there. And of course the same thing gets can be said of all the hardware in the system itself, and yet somehow people don't stop comparing the benefits of systems due to it. ;)

And in this case, I don't see quite as much of a tech difference, since I'm expecting more of a 6-12 timeframe separating the systems rather than the ~2 years we've seen in the past few launches.

I don't think a hd dvd player will matter , nore will blue ray .
I can't see how it WOULDN'T matter, unless the console generations get appreciably short. (And it won't be for Sony and Nintendo, while there's only nervous speculation on Microsoft's part for now. ;) ) If the transfer speed is higher notably higher and the storage space gives room to burn, how can there but be good gaming effect? (Obviously this can be adjusted due to other technological differences like compression, of course.)

Meanwhile, I think HD-DVD and Blu-Ray would both benefit greatly from high-profile, guaranteed-sellers like these consoles to push the format itself (which then helps us in both gaming and non-gaming-related areas ;) ), so I'd think we would ALL like to see steps like these taken! ^_^

Just like we encourage companies to burn lots of money for our sakes to make our machines better. ;)

That's one way to stop pirates who download from the internet... Make your games ten times bigger or more than their download and upload limit. Who'd download 200GB? :LOL:

Evil_Cloud said:
That's one way to stop pirates who download from the internet... Make your games ten times bigger or more than their download and upload limit. Who'd download 200GB? :LOL:

But they can certainly copy 200GB....

True, but there's always some sway due to how much of a hit the companies are willing to take to get the tech out there. And of course the same thing gets can be said of all the hardware in the system itself, and yet somehow people don't stop comparing the benefits of systems due to it.

Thats why i said could . THey could launch with better media .

Anyway if the current rumors are true and cheap hd dvds will hit the pc world next year perhaps we can see hd-dvd in the xenon. But i highly doubt we will need it . Unless square really needs 20 gigs of room for fmv !

Oh so now it's really really really really confirmed.... Cause i never trust people who really really confirm things, it's always safer to be really really really really confirmed.

london-boy said:
Oh so now it's really really really really confirmed.... Cause i never trust people who really really confirm things, it's always safer to be really really really really confirmed.

well i just really really really really really really really confirmed it .

Back