Power outages in Ohio

John Reynolds

Ecce homo
Veteran
We had a massive wind storm sweep through yesterday, pushed north thanks to Ike. Trees down, power lines down, it's fairly widespread across SW Ohio. We've been out of power for over 20 hours now and the power company said it could be days before it's restored. They apparently released line technicians to TX days ago and have recalled them, so they're short on manpower to deal with a situation this large. There are outages 30 minutes north, east and south of us, so it's a large area that's affected.

Yea, I'm posting from work on the base. Power is out in large parts of Cincinnati, east in Springfield, and north of us here in Dayton up in Urbana and beyond. We got lucky, no damage to our house or property, but a neighbor two doors down has a tree snapped in half 2' off the ground in their front yard, a house across the street is mising half its roof (we didn't lose a single shingle), etc. The only real loss so far for us is that the wife had just gone grocery shopping yesterday morning, so the fridge is full.

The kid's school was closed today due to flooding, and the town next door to us where me and my wife grew up had to evacuate 700 houses...it's been raining since about Friday here and didn't stop until yesterday.

We're all fine. We had stocked up on food/supplies Thurs and just sat it all out, the area was a bit of a disaster though. I'm hoping they re-open the expressway soon, traffic around here is sucking major! :???:

Tons of people without electricity, but we never lost it. Sorry to hear John, hope it comes back soon.

Well you could always invest in burying the electric lines (though then if they break they are even more expensive to fix) or you could cut down the trees near them so they don't get knocked out in a wind storm, but people tend to object to cutting down all the trees too :).

Ike was a strange storm, it wasn't that powerful, but it was enormous.

I was PvPing in LOTRO when the power went out, so I know those honorless creeps gang-banged my hobbit hunter during the 20 seconds between client-server disconnect and the server logging your toon out of the game.

You know you're a geek when you lose power and the above is worth grumbling about.

Well you could always invest in burying the electric lines (though then if they break they are even more expensive to fix) or you could cut down the trees near them so they don't get knocked out in a wind storm, but people tend to object to cutting down all the trees too .

Ike was a strange storm, it wasn't that powerful, but it was enormous.

Our neighborhood is less than a decade old, and all the power lines are buried. And the only tree that poses a threat to our house is the neighbor's.

Never try shaving a cleft chin by candle light, though. Just thought I'd mention that.

I didn't realize Indiana was getting that much rain, Diggie. Just looked it up after reading your post. Glad I'm not in Munster.

On the brightside my Mom is ok, she still lives there. :)

It's weird. There are tons of helicopters zooming around about a 1/2 mile away over the expressway and there is just the constant sound of heavy equipment going in the background if I go outside. Feels a bit surreal.

I've got friends in Seabrook(south Houston) that probably won't be able to go back to their house for a week or more.

And here in Austin, not a drop of rain. :/

Wife just called, power's been back on for 5 minutes now. She said it came on for 1 minute an hour ago and then went out again, so here's hoping it stays on.

There were sections of Power Outages in the North East areas of Ohio including Cuyahoga County (Cleveland). Some of the counties further east are still without power today. The power also went out at work today, so after 15 minutes of being down, most of us called it a day. Most will continue to work from home assuming the power was on there.

During a power outage, having a laptop is nice, so long as you're not using an external drive for all your Virtual server images. :( At least my main image is on a USB-powered external drive.

I didn't realize the impact reached all the way up to Ohio. I have a very close friend who lives a bit outside of Fairborn (between Dayton and Springfield). Will have to call and check up later this evening.

I've got friends in Seabrook(south Houston) that probably won't be able to go back to their house for a week or more.

And here in Austin, not a drop of rain. :/

My brother in law is in Houston. His power is on and everything is dandy for him. It seems a bit random. He never even lost power he said which is somewhat unbelievably lucky. Maybe the lines leading to his place were buried the entire way or something.

We had the same here in Columbus. There are trees down all over the neighborhood. We did not lose power in my neighborhood, but I think over 250,000 in Franklin County lost power. And of course the schools were closed, so my plans for a nice quiet day off were shot. Six yr old twins do not let you take it easy. Also had a bunch of tree branches too clean up.

I went to the McDonalds down the road for some breakfast, but they had no power. I went to another one, and they busy beyond belief, I could not get into the parking lot. It was so bad, even Burger King was busy.

Got the newspaper today. Apparently a cold front was shoved north by Ike and that caused high-altitude, high-speed winds to drop lower than usual. We had winds of 70-80mph in the area. Power was restored around 4:30 yesterday and has remained on, but some co-workers are being told late this week or early next.

NW Ohio here. We had the lights flicker but never lost power for more than a short moment. The wind and rain was pretty intense though. Saturday morning saw a ton of rain and Sunday I was out looking for tornados it was so bad. Our trees were being whipped around relentlessly. Trees down all over the place here. Still not as bad as the Inauguration Day Storm (where we lost power for over a week and saw small evergreen trees bend so far over their tops were touching the ground) or the tornados/lightning storms we saw in the Southern US, but still not a lot of fun. I prefer branches not falling on me from out of the sky ;) Sorry for all those who lost power or had flooding :(

I was PvPing in LOTRO when the power went out, so I know those honorless creeps gang-banged my hobbit hunter during the 20 seconds between client-server disconnect and the server logging your toon out of the game.

You know you're a geek when you lose power and the above is worth grumbling about.

The idea of that is truly frightening.

Back