Power efficiency - laptop vs desktop

Someone told me that laptops use more power than desktop PCs and I could see how that would be true

I think such a statement is vague enough to be true! But it's also so vague as to be meaningless.

It's quite possible to build a decent performing desktop (ie. run Vista, play 1080P HD) with a power consumption in the 20-40W range, excluding the display. Likewise I'm sure it's possible to find laptops which consume more than this. It's not obvious what this proves though :)

An affordable low-power PC:

Compucase 7630 microATX case + 250W PSU - €70
Intel Atom 1.6 GHz + Intel Mini-ITX mainboard - €50
1 GB RAM - €15
500 GB HDD Western Digital Green Power - €55
DVD ROM - €10

Total: €200

It sucks prolly around 30W from the socket in low-to-medium-load scenarios like P2P or as media server or whatever.

A slightly more expensive, higher energy consumption and much higher performance option would be an AMD X2 4050e, a good 350W PSU, 2GB RAM and a AMD 780G based mainboard for ~€270. It would probably consume about 50W under low loads.

Currently, I'm using an old P4 Northwood 2.4 Ghz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD and GeForce FX5200 for that, which consumes ~70W under these types of loads (tops out at ~200W under full load, which never really happens). Even with the assrape energy prices nowadays (€0.19 per KWh... jeebus), the €200 investment would take 3 years to break even. Not really worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
gf8800gtx uses about 280W alone it self, or hd4870 using about 300w itself, i got these numbers from many other review and forum pages

I see English is not your native language so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you just mis-interpreted total system power consumption for graphics card power consumption. There isn't a consumer graphics card on the market that is even capable of drawing 280-300W (not enough power can be supplied via PCI-e slot + power connectors), let alone one that actually does.

shaidar haran, english is my 3rd language not native, your name also doesnt sound to me native enlgish or american :)

let me explain this way, pci card provides 75watt max, and hd 4870 sits on it :) and this monster card has not one but two power leads connecting to it, each 75watt again,
so 75x3 = 225 watt this card socks very clear, i dont know myself also why and how ppl says on there forum and review pages that this card using 300 watt, instead of 225 watt.

when i find out i will write it here,

Reviews and forum posts list a systems total power draw from the wall. No video card even comes close to drawing 300 watts, high end complete systems under full loads with a HD 4870 draw around 350 watts.

shaidar haran, english is my 3rd language not native, your name also doesnt sound to me native enlgish or american :)

let me explain this way, pci card provides 75watt max, and hd 4870 sits on it :) and this monster card has not one but two power leads connecting to it, each 75watt again,
so 75x3 = 225 watt this card socks very clear, i dont know myself also why and how ppl says on there forum and review pages that this card using 300 watt, instead of 225 watt.

when i find out i will write it here,

It's a very simple arithmetic problem, one which you have already solved (there are no additional variables that can alter the equation in this case). It is as you have said, 75x3 = 225. There's no magic power fairy that will allow such a card to draw more power than its physical maximum :p

Just as a point of reference, at work a Q6600 + 3870 idles around 100W (basic config, single 7200rpm HDD, DVD-RW, P35, 2GB DDR2) and peaks around 200-220W.

My personal laptop (ThinkPad T61, Core 2 Extreme X9000, GM965, 7200rpm HDD, 4GB DDR2, etc) idles around 30W with the LCD at mid-brightness, peaks at maybe 60-65W playing games.

Back