Possible way to fix a broken 360?

lefizz

Newcomer
This article show how a guy fixed his Apple ibook which had a gfx card fault. This is very common , 5 people i know had ibooks fails this way.

http://geektechnique.org/projectlab/726/diy-obsolete-ibook-logic-board-repair?commented=1#c003228

The interesting thing is that this is exactl the same fault as the 360 suffer from. A BGA grib array coming unstuck, i.e the solder connection breaking. The guy fixed it simply buy stripping the mobob down and place a metal container full off pure alcohol of top and lighting it. The heat is enough to remelt the solder yet not hot enough to cause damage. Other people have tried heat guns and had no luck.

I know MS have just extened the warranty on all 360s however if you have hacked you box so you cant send it back this may well be a very viable way of fixing the unit.

Delicious

I wonder if this whole 1 Billion dollar crisis could have been avoided if they just went with PGA over BGA. Not that Xbox Flambé does not sound good to me.

Well now its costing them a billiond dollars surely they must go with a prompt respin, it just begger belief that any company would keep selling the same inherently faulty design for almost 2 years without a new version.

Dont get me wrong i love my 360 but i think MS have dealt with this very poorly.

I was once told by a guy to wrap a towel round my 360 and leave it on over night. He said the towel would insulate the 360 and melt the solder back into place. :LOL:

He said the towel would insulate the 360 and melt the solder back into place. :LOL:
Yeah and it'll also make th 360 catch fire and burn your house down to the ground..

I'm always amazed by the stupidity shown by people on the internet. Not least when it comes to expensive high-power electronic gadgets like the 360.

It costs $400 give or take and draws around 100-150W of power. Would YOU want to wrap it in towels and turn it on and then GO TO SLEEP in the same building? I certainly hope not. But some people apparantly seem ready and willing.

Sometimes I think there ought to be an exam of some sort that you have to pass to be allowed to live in society with the rest of us. :p

PEace.,

Well now its costing them a billiond dollars surely they must go with a prompt respin, it just begger belief that any company would keep selling the same inherently faulty design for almost 2 years without a new version.

Dont get me wrong i love my 360 but i think MS have dealt with this very poorly.

Oh, come on, it's not that surprising. You need look no further the original Playstation. What was the failure rate on that thing?! I have at least 3 or 4 lying around, most of which need to be flipped upside down or in order to play a disc! :D (And have been that way long before I retired them).

Back