Possible to Lock PC Games to 30fps?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by sir doris, Oct 5, 2012.

1. sir doris

Regular

I've always had pretty good gaming PC's or consoles so not come across this problem before. I've just upgraded one of my HTPC's (Pentium G840, 4GB) with an HD7750 so it will be able to play games. and the fluctuation in frame rates in a couple of games is terrible with V-Sync enabled.

Playing Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit is worthy of note as it would seem v-sync can't be disabaled. At 720p (native res of my projector) is nearly unplayable with the random stuttering when it drops from 60fps. Surprisingly running at 1080p (my projector accepts 1080p) with all options on, it actually plays much better as the framerate is more consistent, around 30fps.

This game on the consoles plays very well, as it's locked at 30fps. If the PC could be locked to 30fps it would play just as well as the consoles and look miles better. So is there anyway to lock PC's frame rate to 30fps?

2. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

NVIDIA has a frame rate target option built into their driver that one can access with NVIDIA Inspector. But I'm not sure what you can do with a Radeon. If you ran 1080i you would be limited to 30 fps with vsync.

3. Davros

Legend

Interlacing, I thought we killed that back in the 80's
    why your having trouble running a game from 1998 at 60fps I have no idea

4. sir doris

Regular

Just tried another google (I did google before I posted this thread) and it looks like MSI Afterburner might work, will have to give it a go over the weekend.

5. cychris

Newcomer

Wasn't there a new Hot pursuit by Criterion? Released a couple of years ago I think.

6. sir doris

Regular

Yeah, that's the game I'm talking about

7. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

I believe 3dfx drivers had an optional "multiplier" for v-sync, a number of "pending frames". If set to two, this supposedly slows down v-sync by a factor of two, i.e. you lock down to 30Hz.
    I've never used the feature because I would just play with vsync off at 75, 85 or 100Hz.

8. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

Look for the RadeonPro tool. It features Dynamic Framerate Control, where the user can set a target FPS value and can toggle/adjust it in real-time.

9. Davros

Legend

Aha hot pursuit 3 aka hot pursuit 2010

10. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I got sick of all the fps fluctuating in games and trying to hunt down ways to cap at 30fps. In some games it's really easy to do, in others it's hard, and in others it's impossible.

Now that I have a GTX670 there is no problem, but with the GTX260 the fluctuations could be painful in some games.

Anyway there is a tool called FPS Limiter that works for some DX9 games. You could try it.

11. Argoon

Newcomer

If your PC is old and the game is fluctuating between 30 and 60fps then i see why you want this, but if you are able to play at constant 60 fps imo you shouldn't limit yourself to 30fps, at 60fps games look more fluid.

12. almighty

Banned

I posted a FPS limiter on here some years ago that uses Java, works like a charm on old games.

Have you actually tried searching Google first to see if the games has a console command to limit the FPS?

13. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

^ That's the one I was talking about. It is creatively called "FPS Limiter". I think the latest version is 0.2.

14. snarfbot

Regular Newcomer

dxtory lets you lock framerate to whatever you want.

15. sir doris

Regular

Thanks for all the replies, looks like MSI's afterburner works for NFS:HP, game runs really well:)

Afterburner seems to be built on Riva Tuner as that's what opens up, and it's where you set the framerate cap.