Possible? Peer to Peer encrypted VPN in Gaming to protect traffic and ip address

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
From what i understand,
Peer to peer encrypted VPN can be done right?

it also brings security, the traffic and its destination cant be known by man in the middle right?

im so confused right now. I remembered years ago played LAN over the internet using Hamachi. Its peer to peer. The IP also internal hamachi IP. Other than Hamchi, theres also http://www.freelan.org/ that provides peer to peer encrypted VPN.

but 20 people on reddit says im delusional. It cant be done.

im asking this because im afraid i have my own bias, thus i only read what i want to read. My mind deliberately changing the meaning of sentences i read, the memory i own.

i need to sleep...

Um of course you can do peer to peer VPN I have them up many times for many customers.

Encrypting data in packets is straight forward but if you're trying to protect the IP addresses of source and destination then you have a problem because every router between the two PCs needs to know IP addresses for routing. I.e. you write a letter and put it in an envelope then write the address in some encrypted form, how do you expect the postal service to know where to deliver it.

What you propose can be done but it'll impact routing and at the very least result in less optimal routing and therefore more lag.

I just wish that CoD devs would fix/rework their netcode or something so the console versions don't become victim of so many DDoS attacks.

Encrypting data in packets is straight forward but if you're trying to protect the IP addresses of source and destination then you have a problem because every router between the two PCs needs to know IP addresses for routing. I.e. you write a letter and put it in an envelope then write the address in some encrypted form, how do you expect the postal service to know where to deliver it.

What you propose can be done but it'll impact routing and at the very least result in less optimal routing and therefore more lag.

in hamachi it works like this (if i remember correctly, its been years since used it for L4D)

[peer] ----------------- [peer]
\ [hamachi server] /

so the IP is not your normal IP. But Hamachi ip. The "translation" done by server communication. But the data works p2p again, the two pc know the hamachi IP. From the game's perspective, they are playing LAN.

so even if hackers sniff the hamachi ip, they cant ddos it right?

I've never heard of 'hamachi' but P2P (peer to peer) is, as the name suggests, a method of two PC peers (your PC and another) communicating directly without the aid of an intermediate server. But the internet works by moving small packets of information from one IP address to another and if an IP address is encrypted the data will simply not get to where you need it to go.

The are ways to conceal IP addresses such as using your own network (i.e. not the internet) or by abstract the entire network layer but then you're going to lose interoperability with the internet even if you're using internet standards. A third option for networks with 3 or more participants is to build random re-direction into the P2P protocol so anybody looking can't be certain that a packet going from client A to client B is really intended to client B, it may be or it may be redirected to client G and may be intended for client G or not, perhaps client G then sends it to client C. I've seen this used in practice and it works but the obvious flaw is the increased latency and hugely increased traffic.

I can't see why you would want to hide the identity of IP addresses, surely it's sufficient that the data inside the packets is encrusted and secure?

so the IP is not your normal IP. But Hamachi ip. The "translation" done by server communication. But the data works p2p again, the two pc know the hamachi IP. From the game's perspective, they are playing LAN.
This is a proxy, which repeats traffic sent to it, changing the IP of incoming packets for senders and receivers to mask the originating IP. This tech is unrelated to encryption/VPN, but you could of course VPN over a proxy if you want to... :)

it also brings security, the traffic and its destination cant be known by man in the middle right?
I somewhat misunderstood the question. Anyway you can easily encrypt the traffic but if the connection is truly peer to peer then obviously the internets are going to know who you are sending the traffic to. And the NSA is going to know what the traffic is no matter what kind of encryption you use :smile: privacy is a big no-no at least here in the USA. What are you trying to hide? We must know since you are obviously a terrerist

thanks guys the repilies, but still a bit confused here.

so in encrypted VPN connection, for example likethis

A
Internet IP 80.17.17.1
Encrypted VPN IP 192.168.1.1

B
Internet IP 80.17.17.2
Encrypted VPN IP 192.168.1.2

when A talk to B (192.168.1.2) via encrypted VPN, the person that sniff the traffic still can see that A actualy talk to B (80.17.17.2) ?
But they dont know the traffic content itself.

so the only thing that really hides IP is tor with exit nodes around the world?

Back