possibility of "oculus rift"-tech PS4 exclusivity?

So the consoles are not the best hardware for a 4k rift because they have to render at a native resolution?
Why not render at 1080 and upscale?
Wouldn't that solve the problem and keep the frames at a steady 60?
It would, but it'd also mean significant softness that'd make everyone feel myopic.

I've used a normal dev kit rift and the lack of AA is very noticiable , more so on my tv or my pc monitors. I think its because of how close it is to your eye. That + screen door effect cements my belief that these consoles should skip VR.

I would hope if the consumer rift is 1080p or 1200p you'd be able to do at least 4x fsaa or higher on it

People will overlook resolution issues if the added value is good enough (3d and motion sensing).

I'm more concerned about the cable, which significantly limits the movement thus control.

PS4 one supposedly has 3d positioning, and since hmds are basically fixed size displays, virtual reality can be very interesting. e.g. proper screen positioning of virtual objects based on real life placeholders (controller, gun, move). You can basically move the object you are holding in virtual world correctly with your physical hand.

It would, but it'd also mean significant softness that'd make everyone feel myopic.

Hmmm, haven't thought of it that way...:p
But I think it'd be better than lower res displays.
We wouldn't see the individual pixels on one hand, but on the other we'd loose image quality.
But is it that much of a trade off?
Since the consoles cannot render at 4k, isn't it better to, render at 1080 and upscale, on a 4k display than, render at a native 1080 display?

I hope what I said makes sense..!

People will overlook resolution issues if the added value is good enough (3d and motion sensing).

I'm more concerned about the cable, which significantly limits the movement thus control.

Sony does have wireless solution for their HMZ-T3W. You can wear the wireless unit/battery pack with it, not ideal I know, but it's wireless. To be honest I don't have much problem with wired solution. But I think integrating the battery into the headset will add weight. And to be widespread, HMD unit need to be as light and as comfortable as possible.

I've used a normal dev kit rift and the lack of AA is very noticiable , more so on my tv or my pc monitors. I think its because of how close it is to your eye. That + screen door effect cements my belief that these consoles should skip VR.

I would hope if the consumer rift is 1080p or 1200p you'd be able to do at least 4x fsaa or higher on it

Avegant HMD, promised to remove the screen door effect even on 720p. It uses DLP instead of LCD. Maybe that's what Palmer was alluding too, when they said there are other technology beside LCD.

The way Rift uses the LCD, I don't think 1080p or 1200p is going to cut it still. They need to look at alternate technology.

Since the consoles cannot render at 4k, isn't it better to, render at 1080 and upscale, on a 4k display than, render at a native 1080 display?
Is it better to render at 720p and upscale to 1080 on a 1080 tv than render at 720 native on a 720 tv ?
and keep in mind you dont have the benefit of distance on the rift

Are there any 720p native TVs at all? Most of the LCDs sold were 13xx*768, the rest are 1080p; and the plasmas were either 1080p or far below 720p (960*480 and such, yikes).

So chances are, most people today own 1080p TVs and thus they get upscaled content from video games, except for the PS4, apparently.

Is it better to render at 720p and upscale to 1080 on a 1080 tv than render at 720 native on a 720 tv ?
Inaccurate comparison, as you're not sitting close enough to your TV to see the individual sub-pixels. To solve the screen-door effect, you need more pixels.

But even then, there are plenty of occasions when rendering at a lower resolution gives you better pixel quality and a better looking game. Pretty much all last-gen games aimed at sub 1080p and upscaled. If they had targeted 1080p, games would have looked sharper but not as nice. This is the whole '4k is too much to render' issue, which is where the consideration has to be made whether a 4k display in a visor is overkill or not. But as it'd solve the screen-door issue, it's clearly the option of choice for very close displays, and we can just run 1080p games upscaled until there's enough horsepower to render native 4k, or better yet technology to adaptively render (foveated rendering).

Back