possibility of "occulus rift"-tech PS4 exclusivity?

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by SlimJim, Dec 3, 2013.

1. SlimJim

Banned

A lot of people will say that if you sit far enough, nobody will see the difference between 1080P and 720P. While some even claim that, outside of HUD, nobody can really see it anyway.
    Let's for a minute, pretend/assume this to be true. Let's say 720P is enough.

Everybody loves the occulus rift, apparently. It is said to one day revolutionise gaming. If that is true, then I think the PS4 will have an edge here, given the memory bandwidth, ROP count as well as extra CU's; PS4 should have the frames to spare to render stereoscopic 720P. Whereas other consoles will struggle and probable leave it out because it is "unproven tech at the moment" (their PR departments will come up with something similar), but in reality: to avoid comparison.

I believe Sony will convert their excellent 720P OLED viewfinder screens with lenses so that they have a similar field of view as the occulus rift. Just add one of the DS4 gyro's and you're set.

So what do you think. Does the PS4 really have the energy to spare to render stereoscopic 720P, in comparison to other consoles on the market, thus making it an exclusive feature?

And how worthwhile will such a feature be?

2. dumbo11

Regular

There was some recent VR stuff over on the witness blog.

The images seem to be 1080P at half the horizontal resolution per viewpoint (with the bottom cut off badly in 1 image hence the different resolutions).
    http://the-witness.net/news/2013/11/what-could-it-mean/

If it ran at that resolution, then the console would be rendering the same number of pixels per frame.

3. Colourless

Colourless Monochrome wench
    Veteran

It wont. 720p is no where near high enough for a HMD similar to the occulus rift. There are doubts that the occulus rifts consumer version with a 1080p screen will be enough.

4. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Anas platyrhynchos
    Legend Veteran

The current Sony glasses use one 720p screen per eye giving full 1280*720 to each eye whereas the Rift uses one 1080 screen divided to both eyes, giving a maximum of 960*1080 per eye and I think it still cuts pixels from that figure.

5. SlimJim

Banned

Wow, I was just going to post that :p
    I hope that doesn't kind your mind-reading apparatus is already completed, Dr. Evil! :razz:

source: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game

That was too low to read text i think, still it was super immersive. The Sony screens should have more than double the horizontal resolution.

6. sebbbi

Veteran

With the current (devkit) Rift, I can clearly see the sub-pixels (red, green and blue stripes) from the image. Anything below 2x1080p isn't going to be commercially viable (IQ is just unacceptable). Rift requires much more pixels than a 60 inch HDTV in order to look good, because the image fills (almost) your whole eye. Rift also requires stable (locked) 60 fps or you will get a headache. 2x1080p@60fps is definitely doable on next gen consoles, but would require sacrifices. As 1080p@30fps is the most popular format right now, a Rift version of a game would need to render pixels at 4x rate (meaning much simpler graphics).

7. SlimJim

Banned

So both consoles would probably be insufficient to have Battlefield4 level graphics on a console-rift equivalent?

8. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Anas platyrhynchos
    Legend Veteran

A single 2560*1440 (or 2560'1600) screen will just about do to get that 2x1080P definition for a proper Rift-version. 4K would be nice though :).

In my previous post I was talking about the supposed commercial version of Rift with the 1080p screen, I know the devkit is a 16:10 1280x800 screen. Have they announced anything about the consumer version yet. Is there still a chance that the first version could be higher than 1080p?

9. Rurouni

Veteran

If the screen going to cover the whole fov, then it would need at least 8k for me not to notice the pixels. 8k for the whole fov, meaning 8k for each eye.

10. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

With new phones offering those super resolutions, the screens certainly exist.

11. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

And there's where your premise dies. Using a VR headset is like pressing your face against the screen.

12. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Come on DOA5+ (Vita) port. :cool:

:runaway:

13. dobwal

Legend Veteran

I thought I read somewhere that the Oculus devs don't think either console is sufficient for the Rift and won't be supported.

#13 dobwal, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2013
  14. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

Will it include rear-touch-panel grope support?

15. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

However, because of peripherial vision, a lot of the rendered detail is pretty much wasted and never really "seen", or registered, or whatever - I guess you know what I mean.

So this should be a prime candidate for techniques you've talked a lot about, reprojections, interpolated frames, undersampling etc. The only question is if it's good enough to just treat everything on the sides as not important, or does it require eye tracking as well...

16. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

Headset for the eyes.

You press something else against the vita touch screen.

17. patsu

Legend

HMZ-T1 has an optical module to make the screen appear further away. What sort of optics module does the Rift use ?

18. zed

zed
    Veteran

IIRC dudes behind O rift said somewhere that even wasnt high enough so noway is 1920x1080 enuf
    though I'ld love to see support, it wopuld be my 'killer feature' for either console

19. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

The major selling point of Oculus Rift is its large FOV (horizontal > 90 degrees). Supposed that the final version has 1000 horizontal pixels (so two eyes combined would be roughly equivalent to 1080p), that's only ~ 11 pixels per degree (perfect human eye acuity is ~ 200 pixels per degree). So it's sort of like looking at a low resolution screen (compared to a normal screen looking distance of 12 inches, that's about 55 DPI, roughly half of normal computer displays).

The bigger problem is, however, the "screen door" effect, as such low resolution will make it possible to see individual sub pixels. It's possible to use a matte filter to "blur" the pixels, but that'd make the visual blurry and probably not a good idea.

Basically it needs about 4K resolution to be roughly equivalent to current normal computer displays, but I guess that probably have to wait.

20. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

That's very interesting stuff. I would love to see games rendered like that, regardless of the sacrifices.

I think that what sebbbi described happens because the Rift is so close to your eyes that you need maximum resolution.

The Occulus Rift sounds very promising. And now that they have John Carmack working with them, it can be even better.

For now my only gripe about it is that it is a bit bulky and invasive to be 100% comfortable because the people playing it seems to be very isolated from their surroundings.

And playing so very close for hours couldn't potentially develop "lazy eye" in one of your eyes?