Possibilities of game data saving on PS3

fouad

Banned
Possibilities of game data saving on PS3

As you know no next generation console will have a standard HDD, so all developers have to use other alternatives for game data saving. On xbox360 the gamer has the choice to save on a HDD or on a memory card of 64 MB ( which is relatively sufficient ), but on the case of ps3 we don’t know yet how developers will manage this issue, and there is a lot of possibilities :

1/ you can save your game on a HDD, SD card, MS card, and whatever genre of flash memory the ps3 support. But this is technically complicated.

2/ you can save on a HDD, and only on memory stick duo ( or pro duo ), but the problem here is that how much do we need ? 8 MB ? 16 MB ? or a la PSP 32 MB will be the standard for saving games on ps3. Sony must decide and tell developers what to do.

3/ you cant save on a HDD, and to save you have to buy a memory stick duo ( or pro duo ) and this is the easiest way for sony and developers to handle saving on ps3. but its no good for gamers wanting to save large videos of GT5 for example.

In the case of saving games on a memory stick, and if we assume that the minimum will be 16 MB or 32 MB, that any gamer must have to save his ps3 games. Is this sufficient ?
And will some games exceed this limitation ? will we see games which need 4, 8, 16, or 32 MB, and others needing at least 50 MB for example ( GT5 ?! )…what are the limitations in game design and innovation ? 64 MB for xbox360 is relatively sufficient, but if the limit on ps3 is 32 MB, than this could be a technical limitation for some developers needing more, which will limit some gameplay possibilities, and innovation ideas on ps3…

What do you think of all those issues ?

The only thing I think is why on earth should sony use a 32MB MSDuo?? Isn't that tooo much supposal??

i dont even think the psp saves are over 1mb yet so i wouldnt worry about space-- im betting they will have a similar save system.

i bet the ps3 will pickup on all supported formats, and have it like in the ps2 where it sees a memory card in "slot 1" or "slot 2" ...it will probably be the same thing but it will be that the ps3 sees the memory in "the duo slot" or the "SD card slot" or the "HD bay"

i wouldnt be surprised if the ps3 came boxed with a 32mb duo like the psp did.

Bad_Boy said:
i dont even think the psp saves are over 1mb yet so i wouldnt worry about space-- im betting they will have a similar save system.

i bet the ps3 will pickup on all supported formats, and have it like in the ps2 where it sees a memory card in "slot 1" or "slot 2" ...it will probably be the same thing but it will be that the ps3 sees the memory in "the duo slot" or the "SD card slot" or the "HD bay"

i wouldnt be surprised if the ps3 came boxed with a 32mb duo like the psp did.

Each new console use more storage data, in PS1 100 KB, in ps2 the average is 1 MB ( 1024 KB ) in PS3 each game will need at least 2 MB...if not 10 MB...

The Sandisk MS 512M has the same price than X360 Memory card (64M). So, storage is not a problem.

Just whack a lable on the back saying how big the saves are and/or recommended storage size. If Sony allow the use of any medium, SD, CF, MS, or USB key drive, I'm sure any household getting a PS3 will already have a hundred+ megs of redundant storage lying around in smaller flash cards they got with their camera before buying their 512 mb card. I'd expect PS3 to come with a Memstick, maybe 64mb to be competitive, to ensure there's a minimum size, and that'd be large enough to allow big saves.

Shifty Geezer said:
Just whack a lable on the back saying how big the saves are and/or recommended storage size. If Sony allow the use of any medium, SD, CF, MS, or USB key drive, I'm sure any household getting a PS3 will already have a hundred+ megs of redundant storage lying around in smaller flash cards they got with their camera before buying their 512 mb card. I'd expect PS3 to come with a Memstick, maybe 64mb to be competitive, to ensure there's a minimum size, and that'd be large enough to allow big saves.

I noticed they are doing that now on the back of PSP boxes, damn convenient and about time IMO.

it would be nice if there was some sort of Flash memory in there for the game saves, the iPod nano has opened my eyes up to all sorts of possibilities. I could even see at some point a mini XBOX with flassh memory instead of a SS HD in the box.

fouad said:
In the case of saving games on a memory stick, and if we assume that the minimum will be 16 MB or 32 MB, that any gamer must have to save his ps3 games. Is this sufficient ?
And will some games exceed this limitation ? will we see games which need 4, 8, 16, or 32 MB, and others needing at least 50 MB for example ( GT5 ?! )…what are the limitations in game design and innovation ? 64 MB for xbox360 is relatively sufficient, but if the limit on ps3 is 32 MB, than this could be a technical limitation for some developers needing more, which will limit some gameplay possibilities, and innovation ideas on ps3…

What do you think of all those issues ?
I think you are a troll. It really takes one to make a system with potentially unheard of game storage capabilities, but at the least far cheaper storage (per MB) sound far worse than another that only offers wildly overpriced proprietary memory.
(XBox360 64MB Memory unit = $39.99, SanDisk Memory Stick Pro Duo 256MB = $35)

Also, why would you ever have 50 MB game saves? Please think before you post.

Not official. The closest I remember was KK being asked why the unprecendented inclusion of non-Sony formats to whit the reply was 'you've got all those cards and you'll want to use them.'

I would bet money on "Magic Gate" only Memory Cards being used for the PS3. All other card formats will be for Media purposes (music, pictures and video).

EDIT: I believe that Sony WILL let us use non proprietary memory cards..but not for game saves! (Example: Sony Memory card with "Magic Gate" will allow you to save your Metal Gear Solid game, but any other card..such as SanDisk...will be able to use to transfer stuff from device to device)

I could be wrong though...look at the PSP. I'm not sure theres any real restriction when you use a SanDisk MC besides a Sony one...it could be a precursor to what Sony will do with the PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would anyone believe for a second Sony will allow you to use non-proprietary memory cards on the PS3?

Not gonna happen people. It's wishful thinking to put it mildly.

I don't think you'll be able to save to any other card than a MemoryStick.
heh :) and I bet if there's two Memorystick ports some games will only allow you to save to Memorystick in port 1 ;)
Other card ports, thet're there just for browsing for example photos from your Canon camera etc.

BlueTsunami said:
I would bet money on "Magic Gate" only Memory Cards being used for the PS3. All other card formats will be for Media purposes (music, pictures and video).

EDIT: I believe that Sony WILL let us use non proprietary memory cards..but not for game saves! (Example: Sony Memory card with "Magic Gate" will allow you to save your Metal Gear Solid game, but any other card..such as SanDisk...will be able to use to transfer stuff from device to device)

I could be wrong though...look at the PSP. I'm not sure theres any real restriction when you use a SanDisk MC besides a Sony one...it could be a precursor to what Sony will do with the PS3.

Maybe you are right, but it would be great to save games on any sort of flash cards ! This could be a big advantage for sony...

I remember a Sony big whig commenting to something of the affect "if you have all those memory ports you'd want to be able to save to them, wouldn't you?" I don't remember who it was or where I read it, so sorry for no link. Anyway, because of that comment I think it's at least within engineering plans to allow saves to any media, but we'll see what the suits have to say.

fouad said:
Each new console use more storage data, in PS1 100 KB, in ps2 the average is 1 MB ( 1024 KB ) in PS3 each game will need at least 2 MB...if not 10 MB...
you've gotta be shittin me. not every ps2 game uses 1mb...and im saying most dont. i have about 15 saves(not counting the net connection info), and exploit hdloader on my 8mb ps2 mc. hell, psp saves are like 300kb MAX, my lowest psp save is like 30kb.

10mb for a save? your fuckin insane bro, ill give you 1 or 2mb, but definately not 10.
32mb for saves will be just fine.

anyways, im sure we will be able to use the other memory card slots for saves, and maybe even use the PSP or the PC to save our games. (via usb)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back