Popfly, the first Silverlight web app... (preview)

Graham

Hello :-)
Veteran
Supporter
Microsoft has pulled out their first official silverlight powered Web app...

www.popfly.ms

And simply put, it looks awesome.

There is a 15min presentation introducing the *alpha* version here:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91175

I highly recommend the watch.
Basically, it's an end-to-end content tool for data/code 'mash ups'. With blogging, web design and other features built in.
The idea is that code utitilies, be they photo viewers, rss readers, etc, are descrete 'blocks' in a system. These blocks take in data and pump out data. They can be edited and shared.

The video shows an example where a twitter block loads data, a geo locater block gets the latitude/longitude, and then it is plonked onto a virtual earth block. All edited in the browser

Keep an eye out for the use of VB.net in visual studio at the end.
The potential of this is absolutely huge.

FF 1.5 doesnt work either.

Try upgrading to 2.0.0.3. FF 1.5 is rather dated...

FF 2.0.0.3 and IE7 work fine for me.

EDIT: Hmm, maybe its not working, that was opening in a IE tab in Firefox and was working fine without me realizing it. I'll check it out later, busy busy.

Hehe.

So you guys aren't dissapointed, just watch the video. The service is currently in private alpha, so you can't actually do anything with it yet..

It still looks very cool

Q Why did you call it Popfly?

A Well, left to our own devices we would have called it "Microsoft Visual Mashup Creator Express, May 2007 Community Tech Preview Internet Edition," but instead we asked some folks for help and they suggested some cool names and we all liked Popfly.

I'll try it when they support Opera.

Also, "desktop backgrounds" offered at 800x600 _only_. What is this, 1990?

I know some of your are thinking maybe they designed it not to work with opera

Well shame on you for thinking microsoft would ever do anything to stifle competition.............

Back