Poor upload speeds on cable modem

jvd

Banned
Okay guys I have a huge problem. Up till recently I was able to upload to my cousin in italy files at 78kbs . Now i'm lucky to get up to 15kbs. Nothing has changed. I have done tests and my upload is a 176kbs . My friend who lives next door is able to upload at 50kbs and we have the same modem / router / network card. Can anyone think of a reason why i'm not uploading faster ? Hopefully a way to speed it up .

Reset your cable modem. Pull out the power for a good 5 minutes and then plug it back in. Make sure your system is off. Once it's powered up, start up your system.

If that doesn't work, connect your modem directly to your computer instead of your router. If that doesn't work, swap a network card.

If none of that works, you're screwed. :)

Natoma said:
Reset your cable modem. Pull out the power for a good 5 minutes and then plug it back in. Make sure your system is off. Once it's powered up, start up your system.

If that doesn't work, connect your modem directly to your computer instead of your router. If that doesn't work, swap a network card.

If none of that works, you're screwed. :)
Well i tried all of the above so I guess I'm sccrewed and not in the way I want to be screwed ;) . I called the cable company and they are sending some one over. I guess till then i will use my dsl line .

If you tested it to 176kbps but you don't get that speed to your friend, then it sounds to me as the problem is closer to your friend. Your line is fine, but his (or something in the way to him) isn't.

Ask your friend if others have slow uploads to him.

Basic said:
If you tested it to 176kbps but you don't get that speed to your friend, then it sounds to me as the problem is closer to your friend. Your line is fine, but his (or something in the way to him) isn't.

Ask your friend if others have slow uploads to him.
It doesn't matter who i send to . I've sent files across the street 2 houses away and i still get under 15kbs

You have Optimum Online(1000kbs upload cap) and you uploaded too much so they capped you at 150kbs(15KB/s).

Call them up and ask nicely if they can uncap you. This is the problem with Cable, the nodes cannot handle these types of insane usages.

Paul said:
You have Optimum Online(1000kbs upload cap) and you uploaded too much so they capped you at 150kbs(15KB/s).

Call them up and ask nicely if they can uncap you. This is the problem with Cable, the nodes cannot handle these types of insane usages.
thanks paul . We talked about this through aim once. I called them and they said no can do to many users on the block. So basicly once dsl comes around (only avalible on one block in my town) i'm going to switch.

Back