Poll: Next-gen streaming

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by MrFox, May 17, 2019.

?

If your favorite platform goes streaming-only, would you buy it?

1. Yes, it's the future!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Hahahha, no.

72.0%
  3. Only if I have no other choice.

28.0%
  4. You mean like Salvia? Stevia? Sativa? Saliva? What's the name?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

I wonder if people want these streaming services for the subscription value and prefer to download (like always choosing the psnow dld option), or for actually streaming without a box. Also considering everyone seem excited about the next gen hardware.

2. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

I freaking love polls!

Depending on the target devices, I would not be opposed to using a Streaming service on a portable device in addition to a physical hardware console running the games locally.

But if its streaming only... hard to say, depends more on the implementations and price.

Xbat likes this.
  3. temesgen

Veteran Regular

I think if you could buy a game and stream while it downloads in the background or play it on a portable device and pick up where you leave off on traditional console setting would be great. Those are the type of applications that I would be into but streaming on it's own doesn't really appeal to me.

AlBran likes this.
  4. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Depends very much on price and quality. If it was affordable and gave a console experience, I wouldn't necessarily mind. If it's laggy, lacks clarity, and/or costs a shed load more cash, no way.

Shortbread likes this.
  5. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

I was thinking about the media and analysts saying the future is a streaming console like a hypothetical psnow-only console, or basically what google is doing.

Besides the problematic rural areas without access to a low enough latency to datacenters, there's the impossibility of having a perfect residential internet latency/bandwidth. The way provisioning works with cable or dsl, it will cause occasional hiccups which hardcore gamers wouldn't accept. We'd rather buy the console. Solving this would require changing the way residential ISPs operate.

If the idea of a streaming-only platform is rejected by hardcore gamers, it will not displace the user base. And I'm not sure if there is a big potential to grow the user base if the internet connection required is an impediment to reaching the casual gamers.

If streaming remains a value added feature instead of a replacement, I think google will have to make a console.

egoless and Shortbread like this.
  6. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Nope. I'll stick with PC. Then start yelling, dirty streaming game peasants.
    [​IMG]

McHuj likes this.
  7. Metal_Spirit

Regular Newcomer

Nope... No way.

egoless likes this.
  8. novcze

Regular

No, I would go with PC instead.

DSoup and egoless like this.