POLL: Based on console specs, what power difference would make you switch brand at mid-gen?

Based on console specs, what power difference would make you switch brand at mid-gen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrFox

Deludedly Fantastic
Legend
Everybody loves more power, and everybody loves polls! :yes:

I'm curious about what would make you switch brands from your current gen platform. This is focused on brand loyalty upon a mid-gen upgrade, assuming FC/BC, same price, release date, and all else being equal.

Difficult question, I really don't know right now.

Maybe 3 to 4 times? I think that is reasonable in a 3.5 year time frame? But I'm not sure I will buy anyway :p

What if I prefer PC but don't like Nickelback? No love for me. :(

That said, I'd be willing to get a console again if the console hardware maker could either
  1. Guarantee that every single game would run at 60 FPS at the minimum.
  2. Guarantee that any game that doesn't run at 60 FPS at default will an option to force the game to lower settings to run at 60 FPS.
Until that happens, consoles are basically dead to me at the moment. How powerful the machine is, however, just isn't relevant if it can't provide a good gaming experience to me. Obviously other people have different standards. :)

And I'm desperately holding off on getting a higher than 60 Hz refresh rate display in order to not move the quality bar even further up. Upcoming 4k 120 Hz gaming monitors might be extremely tempting though.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I don't think I would ever completely switch brands, but at some point I might be tempted to own both brands. However that has a lot less to do with "power" and more to do with games.

I chose 10%, but instead of switching it would mainly be about making the more powerful one the primary console and still keeping the other for exclusives. Although now that it seems like all the Xbox games are coming to PC, it might be enough to just have a good PC and a Sony console, which is what I have currently.

I'm gaming on PC and console and if Microsoft are bringing more games to PC i don't really have a reason to own an X1 or the future alternative. I find Ps4 + PC quite convenient and it would take software rather than hardware to make me change "sides", if i have 2-3 games I really want to play on the Xbox platform and i can't get them on PC or Playstation the logical move is to get an Xbox. But even in that case i'll just be adding another platform to those i own already so i'm not really switching anything :yep2:

I tend to game in the living room as much as possible due to set up so I will always be a multiplatform owner except wii stuff. But game wise Sony's exclusives grab my interest the most on average so regardless the power, there will always be a latest Playstation console in my living room:).

I'm not ready to abandon my PS4 game collection. I'll invest in a more powerful PS4 (Neo) because that requires no software sacrifice.

im the reverse. I will want the next xbox so i can play games from Xbox AND PS :D

especially with how Xbox is muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better at multi media and it also have that nifty Kinect for voice command.

There isn't option that would suite me. For multiplatform games I always choose pc and steam. Platform exclusive choice is similar as the choice between android/ios. Difficult to pinpoint to exactly 1 reason why I would upgrade console to one brand or another. I guess my choice would be eocsystem based where ecosystem consists of quality, performance, exclusive content and features, friends, existing purchases,...

I bought ps4 for gran turismo, uncharted, dreams, horizon dawn zero,... all those sony specific games that don't really exist in form I prefer in other platforms. PSVR was a nice surprise and that might cause me to upgrade to neo.

Last edited:
im the reverse. I will want the next xbox so i can play games from Xbox AND PS :D
This makes sense and I'm the same but I've gone a different route. I'm betting on Microsoft opening up future "Xbox games" so they work under Windows 10/UWP. I'm betting on this so much I've just ordered the bits to build a gaming PC with Geforce 1080. Of course if it doesn't work out I'll still have a decent gaming PC and if it does work out I'll have the Best of Both Worlds.

star-trek-next-generation-best-both-worlds-slice.jpg

Resistance is futile.

I said 2x, but in all honesty the main deciding factor is the console my friends have. If we all agreed to switch, then I'd switch. After that, it's the games. I wouldn't switch to a console to a different console unless it had a bunch of games that I wanted to play over the current brand. Then after all that, the console power comes third, and 2x the competition would at least make me consider.

After I spent money on games, an extra DualShock 4, DS4 holder/charger, playstation camera, etc. I'm definitely not changing brands in a mid-gen update.
I would for a new generation, but not for a current gen.

Back