PNY Geforce4 series cards.. doomed to fail ??!!??

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Riptides, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Riptides

Newcomer

Well my Ti4200 64mb card just crapped out on me this week.
    Freezes in windows after a few minutes, won't play games anymore.. Seems the monitor tries to re-sync and then nothing comes back on. It was about time to upgrade, think im going to a 9800 Pro now i guess @ $299.

But heres the kicker, if i jiggle the card in the slot, i can get my video image back, albeit with sustained graphical errors.

I did a search on Google for "PNY RMA" and came across a bazillion forum sites with people complaining of the same issues i have. The 2 most guessed problems is that either:
    1. Bad memory going south
    OR
    2. With all that heavy cooling "bling" on the card it has warped the AGP connector on the card.

What the hell are the ram sinks made of anyways ? It cannot be aluminium b/c the card weighs nearly a frickin metric ton. Makes me wonder if its silvered brass or some shit. But its doing the same thing in 2 different systems i've put it in. And i am prone to believe its the 2nd issue, the card just weighs too damn much for the mobo and case screw mount to support.
    Some of the fixes i have read by googling are crazy, such as cutting a broomstick the right length to support the card..or tying fishing line around the backend of the card and tieing the other end up somewhere in the case.. And many people swear by these fixes.

But yeah if i wedge something under the card it tends to run alright, until i bump the case, but at this point I'm trying to RMA it and having one hell of a time getting thru to their RMA department.

I do have the orig box, packaging and shipping receipt, so i don't know if that will qualify me for an RMA so im thinking its gonna be a lost cause in the year 2005 when i get thru to their tech support, but after buying it online i don't know of any other "reciept" i should have, unless they want a copy of the orig email confirmation or something vague like that.

Their RMA process is also a big gripe on many of the boards i have visited thru google, some even go as far as to guess that PNY is just shipping out other peoples RMA'd cards hoping that they will just "work" in someone elses system. Which makes me wonder if the card is also damaging the AGP slot on peoples mobo, which is just speculation on my part. So many say that most "post RMA" cards they have received from PNY just end up doing the same thing a few days later, if not immdiately, and many people have had to do multiple RMA's.
    My gripe, with the RMA so far, is that i have sat for a total of about 6 hours on "hold" in their system, leaving a few messages when i get tired of holding, without a response, yet.

For those of you who do upgrades every 6-12 months, you may never see this issue, but for someone like me, who was trying to eek by with this card, until i knew what i wanted next, and wanted to keep the card in another system, has just been forced to upgrade. The only other card i have ever had up and die on me is a Diamond brand Voodoo2, one day it just went "fizzle" in my "cazizzle", to quote the youngsters.

So i have decided that i will not ever purchase another PNY product under any circumstances. Mainly for the reason that their RMA process is archaic and daunting, and that when their not sending out supposedly "refurbished" Ti4 series cards, they are sending out FX5200's, which is a totally unacceptable replacement in my eyes.

For anyone else still running a PNY Ti4 series card, from the amount of postings i have seen, its probably only a matter of time before yours does the same thing. I had mine just barely over a year, and gave it lots of love. Removed HSF when i first bought and lapped the sink @ friends machine shop, applied silver compound, and after then only removing the fan from the sink to clean it every 3 months.

Only wanted to add my 2 cents here because it does seem to be an issue and it hasn't been brought up much on this site, except in just a few obscure posts.

Wish me luck.

2. zsouthboy

Regular

My PNY Ti4600 died for no reason... no overclocking.. no nothing, I turn on the computer one day, and it suddenly crashes the instant I do anything 3d. Tried in a few other computers, and it was obvious it was the problem.

I tried UNDERclocking it, to like 250/250 (to rule out heat, whatever)... didn't matter.

Called up PNY RMA, and they want me to fax them my receipt. Yeah, right. I kept that. It's pretty bad I have to prove that the card exists, when the card exists. See my point?

I even offered to send it to them, and they refurbish it and send it back, and I would even pay for it, and they said no.

Never will buy anything PNY again.

3. RussSchultz

RussSchultz Professional Malcontent
    Veteran

4. micron

micron Diamond Viper 550
    Veteran

And ask them what they plan on doing with your old card while yer at it...

5. thatdude90210

Regular

Judging by the original post, they can sell that one to Princess Cruise as an anchor. :)

6. Dio

Dio
    Veteran

7. DukenukemX

Newcomer

A friend of mine had his PNY Geforce 3 Ti 500 die on him too. Nvidia has no control of what quality hardware that thier manufacturers use. I heard that ATI puts a lot of control in the quality their board manufacturers use. Which means this crap won't happen to ATI owners.

My suggestion is to get a eraser and erase the AGP connector on the PNY card. Then when your done use rubbing alcohol with Cotton Swabs to clean the connector.

With this method I've saved some Intel P2's and some graphics cards too. Including a PNY Geforce 2 Pro.