Please help me figure something out

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by JaylumX, May 9, 2010.

1. JaylumX

Newcomer

What would cause a display driver to reset and recover. I have two games that when i play for a while it causes my pc screen to freeze (sound still playing in the background) blink to a greyish coloured screen (colour varies) and then return as if nothing had happenend so i can resume playing. After exiting the game after extended play i get on the task bar the a yellow triange with the exclamation mark (sp) stating that it has recovered

This only occurs in two games from my library; Trine and Batman Arkham Asylum and began when i got my HD5870. It may be the gfx card (hard/software) because i completed those games over a year ago on my Geforce 260 and i don't remember issues like that.

So again any ideas what can cause the situation i mentioned above so i have a list of ideas to solve the problem

Any ideas will be much apreciated

EDIT: My system specs are;

Q9550 @ 3.4 | ASUS P5E | 4GB RAM | HD5870 GFX | 9800GT PHYSX | Asus Essence STX |

Please note that the problem was there before i got the physx card. I am on windows 7 using 10.4 catalyst

Cheers

JaylumX

#1 JaylumX, May 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2010
  2. Tamlin

Newcomer

There is a heapload of things that can make a driver crash. Such crashes can often be a symptom that something else is wrong.

If your P5E is the same as the P5Q, the motherboard has an error where it overvolts memory (by 0.08) and undervolts CPU. Memory errors can cause such crashes.

I installed a bunch of games this weekend and encountered a crash. I went into the Event manager (you can right-click on the ATI tray icon and get the option there) and saw there was a atksgt error. This is part of Tages copy protection and to solve this, I had to go to Tages homepage and download their 64-bit drivers for my Vista 64.

Batman can crash if you have the "wrong" MS visual C++ redist" installed. The "correct one" can be found in the Batman folder if you use Steam.

I would advice you to go into event manager and see if there is some error that could have caused the crash.

Otherwise, you can google nvlddmkm, n4disp and atikmdag for fixes. Most of the fixes doesn't actually fix the problem, only the symptoms (like turning of Aero), so I would try to find the problem first. :)

3. JaylumX

Newcomer

That is an excellent reply and very helpful. Thank you very much

4. Tamlin

Newcomer

Np. :)

If you have an error in event manager that you think can have caused a crash, you can post it and I'll see if I know a solution for this.

5. JaylumX

Newcomer

I get the following error - Session "ReadyBoot" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188 - 1 second before i get this warning - Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered

6. Tamlin

Newcomer

Readyboot is used for the readyboost function in W7 and Vista. I don't know if you also use a USB stick to increase the speed of this.

I speculate that this error might have caused a timeout error and crashed the video.

I have a similar setup to you (Vista 64, Q9550, ATI 5870, 4GB mem), but I use SSD. Personally, I hate the harddrive trashing that Readyboost, Superfetch and indexing does, so I turn off those services. The gain is too small compared to the constant harddrive and IO activity. In addition, I turn off the scheduled defrag thats a default in Vista.

If you get an error in readyboot, its likely that there is something wrong with the media it reads/writes to. if you use a USB stick, I would do a full format with error check. Same goes for harddrive. Its also possible to delete the files of course (if this is caused by corrupt files).

Best advice would be to turn off those services unless you find them useful somehow. I think they are better for machines that have low memory and are not so fast.

Here's if you wish to turn off the readyboost on a device:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-ReadyBoost-on-or-off-for-a-storage-device

Here's to turn off superfetch:
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/11/30/disable-and-turn-off-vista-superfetch/

Here's to turn off indexing:
    http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-7/turn-off-windows-searchs-index/

And for scheduled defrag, just right-click on harddrives, select properties -> defrag and untick the schedule there.

#6 Tamlin, May 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2010
  7. Davros

Legend

Here's how to disable ReadyBoot (not readyboost) in Windows Vista. Launch the "Reliability and Performance Monitor" program (via Vista's Administrative Tools or via any of the other routes to launch this program). Then on the lefthand side of your screen click "Data Collector Sets", and underneath that heading click "Startup Event Trace Sessions". Now on your righthand side you'll see a list that includes ReadyBoot, and you'll see the word 'enabled' beside the word 'Readyboot'. Double clicking the list item brings up the ReadyBoot Properties dialog. This dialog has a number of tabs. Pick the "Trace Session" tab. Finally, uncheck the "Enabled" checkbox on that tab.

According to Microsoft, ReadyBoot decreases boot time by up to 20%. The price paid is it causes annoying grinding on the hard disk at times when the OS thinks the computer is idle.

8. JaylumX

Newcomer

Sorry i haven't replied in a while for i have been away for some time. I did all of the above and the problem is still there. I even went to an earlier driver set and no go. I just don't know what could be causing it as it is only just those two games. The two things that both games have in common are;

a) They use physx
    b) They use Fmod audio

Any more ideas to help me eliminate the problem?

Cheers for the previous help

9. Davros

Legend

you can disable physx, if you do so does it still crash

nfs shift uses fmod does that crash (theres a demo available)

10. JaylumX

Newcomer

Just tried it with physx disabled and still the same problem as i knew it would. I had the problem before i installed the 9800gt and Q9550 :sad:

11. Davros

Legend

and you still get the "Session "ReadyBoot" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188" error even though youve got readyboot disabled ?

12. JaylumX

Newcomer

I don't get that anymore

looking back through it, it was only one occassion when i got the error which occured 1 second before the display reset error.

On all other occasions the amdkmdap error occured on its own

13. Tamlin

Newcomer

Here's a link about TDR errors and what can cause it:
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=65161

There is one thing that I forgot to mention, which can cause TDR errors on ASUS boards. When I had a research about these errors some months ago, I discovered that my Asus ATK0110 ACPI driver was from 2006. I update drivers regularly, but this is a separate download from ASUS. Check in Device manager if this is the case with you too. :)

If you use steam, I would go to the batman folder there. There you'll find a folder called redist. In it, you run the physx and vcredist again, to make sure that there is nothing corrupt with these two.