Please help. Can't download from some links.

phenix

Regular
This may be a lame question. Sorry about that.

I cannot download from some links especially the ones that require a lisecence agreement check. One example is nvidia driver download page where there is a java script which checks if you agree with some conditions. when I say yes the page reloads and I am directed to the first page without a download.

I dont have a clue what to do. It is not browser specific and I have no firewall enabled.

thanks

Whaddya mean "not browser specific"? Like, it happens both in IE and Firefox for example? In FF, you can disable javascript entirely as I recall, have you tried that as a last resort?

Without a firewall, are you sure you're free of scumware and such?

Anyway, if nothing else helps, maybe you could download your files from a different computer (or have a buddy do it for you and then you grab them from him via FTP or email or such), or better yet, re-install your OS...

Try using either FireFox, Moz or Opera and look in the JavaScript console for any error messages:

In FireFox this is Tools > JavaScript Console
In Opera this is Tools > Advanced > JavaScript Console

However, each browser uses it's own implementation of JavaScript so I can't imagine why it wouldn't work in any of them. Are you using a Proxy or have any type of blocking/firewall software installed (either by you, your network admin or your ISP)?

This is my lab computer. I am probably behind a proxy and firewall but my computers firewall setting is turned off. It is a Mac by the way.
It is not browser specific means it happens in IE, firefox, mozilla, safari but it does not happen in other computers in the lab. So it should not be because of admin preferences. Am I wrong?

If it's a lab computer I think your best bet would be to consult the network administrator, as it doesn't sound like a 'normal' problem to me.

This is what I found related to my problem in Guru3D's download page:

# Can't download and are being returned to the homepage ? Disable your firewall software (likely: Norton Internet Security) or the firewall in your Router. Make sure your cookies are enabled. This site checks referrer information as part of an anti-leech protection routine. If the server can not see that you are actually downloading a file from our server the download will be halted and you will be send towards our homepage. Why some firewalls choose to disable referrer information we fail to see.

Do you have any idea how to solve it? I can go to network admin but I thought it is very trivial and could be done by a simple trick.

Back