Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, Mar 17, 2020.

1. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

I don't think PS5 has Atmos. And unfortunately, very few review really talk about the audio differences in games. I wonder if it sounds different.

PSman1700 likes this.
  2. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Audio simply just has to be present, for nearly everyone, unfortunately. It's a genuine shame because with just decent mixing, not even talking HRTFs here, the audio can be such a great and wonderful aspect even with simple headphones.

Silent_Buddha and PSman1700 like this.
  3. novcze

Regular

Sorry, I didn't deleted your previous question from the quote. I reacted in general about Cerny raving about 3D audio and then locking out people from enjoying it through better equipment, not to mention they omitted optical out on the PS5.

And to your question, HDMI is not a limiting factor when 3D audio for headphones is only 2ch audio just like stereo and TV can output it via optical out or directly to headphones.

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

That sounds about right, although Japanese workers (especially businessmen and engineers) also really like whiskey. So they probably threw down a few shots (well more likely whiskey on ice) as well. :D

Regards,
    SB

5. goonergaz

Veteran

They are not locking it out, they said it will come it’s just not ready yet. Having said that I thought it was released for TV (or is it due soon?)

6. novcze

Regular

o_O ... you probably don't understand

I don't want 3D audio for TV speakers, I want 3D audio for headphones.
    I can't connect nice DAC+headphone amp directly to optical out on the TV, because there is no way how to set PS5 to output 3D audio for headphones via HDMI.

edit:

there, they even have settings for HDMI Device Type, if they can differentiate TV speakers, soundbar and AV amplifier, why not add headphones? Why Sony?
    ps5audioout.png

#9026 novcze, Nov 21, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    Pete likes this.
  7. goonergaz

Veteran

I'm confused, if the audio signal the TV receives is 3D why is it not outputting via optical to 3D? 3D is nothing special with headphones, it's just that due to TV speakers it's hard to recreate...I would have thought if the TV is receiving 3D audio then that's what will go to the optical out?

Edit - and I guess there's no HDMI headphones option because they don't exist!?

#9027 goonergaz, Nov 21, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

He wants the HRTF headphone audio stream which currently is only output to directly connected headphones. 3D audio passed through to the TV is not the same as the HRTF headphone audio.

Regards,
    SB

DSoup, Pete, tuna and 2 others like this.
  9. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

The audio isn't 3D audio when targeting headphones but basic stereo. You need the raw stereo output to TV to pass through to the plain stereo headphones but there's no option to just pipe headphone audio through the HDMI.

goonergaz likes this.
  10. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

Isn't stereo audio for TV headphones the exact audio than the TV speakers?

11. Silent_Buddha

Legend

No, playing back HRTF'd stereo audio through stereo speakers isn't the same as through headphones. I know it does on PC. If you enable Atmos or Windows Sonic on stereo speakers and play back HRTF'd audio it sounds a bit ... odd and different from hearing it through headphones.

Regards,
    SB

novcze, PSman1700 and BRiT like this.
  12. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

They should be able to deliver that same 3d Audio for Headphones signal they deliver through the controllers, HRTF included and all, even over HDMI. As Silent_Buddha noted, the difference would be the option to include or exclude the HRTFs.

I imagine they'd need a simple audio setup screen similar to the following, where you select headset audio format and then select the delivery mechanism. PlayStation options would be Stereo format or 3D Audio format. Leave the HDMI unchecked if using controller headset connection.

imagefso0v_1625878964.png

This was how Dolby Atmos for Headphones, DTS Unbound for Headphones, Windows Sonic for headphones, and Stereo audio was available to be setup, either direct or through hdmi (or optical connections on last-gen console).

Pete, novcze and PSman1700 like this.
  13. novcze

Regular

Sony is using "3D audio" for their version of HRTF'd stereo, so I'm using their terminology.

BRiT likes this.
  14. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

Two questions for me

1. Is that to complex for most console users? I have no clue to what I am supposed to set my PS5 audio setup to, I got an LG B9 TV and Sonos Arc (with sub and 2 Ones in the livingroom), with the PS5 connected to the TV and the TV to the ARC. I have this stuff because it was easy to just setup. And I am usually ok with tech stuff, but all this audio is zzzz and this was before the PS5.

2. How many users are like nocze, aka is it worth the effort for Sony to do it?

15. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Probably not a lot, but it's also a pretty trivial change. I'd be incredibly surprised if it requires a significant amount of code to accomplish if the capability doesn't already exist within the OS to designate which outputs a given audio stream is allowed to use. The only significant change then would just be within the UI to allow the user to choose that output for an HRTF audio stream.

Regards,
    SB

#9035 Silent_Buddha, Nov 25, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    milk, novcze, PSman1700 and 1 other person like this.
  16. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

Code change is one aspect, QA is another and then support when people get confused. Although I do not belive there is any meaningful support available for consoles other than help to reset your accounts etc.

17. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I haven't heard of anyone being confused by it on the MS side of things, so unless PS users are more easily confused I doubt confusion would be much of an issue.

For MS, you can enable HRTF audio streams on any output on PC, but all relevant stereo HRTF streams are clearly labled as: [type of HRTF stream] for Headphones (for example, Dolby Atmos for Headphones). So if you wanted to enable it for headphones connected to a TV which is connected to an audio receiver which is connected to your PC, you're free to do so. :p

Regards,
    SB

novcze likes this.
  18. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

You might be right :D, then again people that are willing to tinker with their PC usually have a higer tolerance for such things.
    But sure its most likely that its not worth the effort Sony, just yet. Compared to the other stuff they said they planned to do, 3D audio sound systems etc.

19. DSoup

DSoup Series Soup
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I may have lost the thread of the conversation, but the goal of HTRF is ensure that the way the ear receives sound is as close as possible to the original source. The way people perceive sound is wildy dependant on the environment it's bouncing around in. Outside of closed-cup headphones, which provide a fairly uniform environment that not only reduces ambient noise but provides a predictable space in which sound can bounce, how else do you calculate and accommodate for the size, shape and clutter of the room in which 3D sounds in a room is intended to sound?

Supporting 3D audio in a known environment is much easier than a very dynamic environment.

PSman1700 likes this.
  20. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Yeah, sounds like you lost the thread of conversation. It would still be the exact same HRTF audio, just delivered over HDMI to a device in the middle, such as an AVR, which then delivers it to Headphones.

novcze, Silent_Buddha and PSman1700 like this.