Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

He talks about the PS5, games he has played like Demon Souls, Dark Souls, Godfall etc. He's a huge Souls fan. Also talks about a few other things. He is well mannered and doesn't do it for the clicks like others do. I didn't finish watching(but will) as I had a match on but I like his Demon's Souls take and started following and I liked what I saw on this video.

Why don't you watch 5min and decide yourself if you want to waste the other 25.

2. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

Talks about unified L3 cache(8MB) on the PS5 CPU and that the GPU might have a variant of Inifinity cache(albeit small) on the GPU found in patents.

3. goonergaz

Veteran

Because generally there’s a point to posting a video which should really me mentioned...it’s called context ;)

And I’d did watch a few minutes before coming back to find out if there was something specific about the video...it’s a bit like the HDTV video posted earlier, a simple ‘do this, don’t do that please, I don’t need your life story and what you had for dinner.

We’ve gone from instant loading to save time we now waste watching 30 min videos which contain 2 mins decent material.

Pete, tuna, Unknown Soldier and 4 others like this.
  4. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

The smallest infinite number is zero. Hasn't this been put to bed? There isn't room on the chip for any meaningful amount of infinity cache is there?

PSman1700 likes this.
  5. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Anyone ordered PS camera adapter? Do they email you when they start shipping it and give you tracking number?

Hey didn't do it for the clicks but for the watch time statistics and multiple ads breaks, probably.

Me on the other hand only make short videos and only have ads on the beginning of a video, very little money for me.

PSman1700 and Shoujoboy like this.
  6. Shoujoboy

Newcomer

When they sent my adapter, I got an email with a tracking notice for for everything.
    I'd suggest using the fedEx app, it should let you know when your adapter is headed your way !

orangpelupa likes this.
  7. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

The confirmation email says they'll send mine in December. Now it's December but no email from them :(

8. Strange

Veteran

My confirmation email for the VR adapter actually came after the adapter arrived at my house, just got it yesterday.

Shoujoboy and orangpelupa like this.
  9. rabidrabbit

rabidrabbit A Reformed Member
    Legend Veteran

I didn't get a tracking number. It came by post office as regular letter mail. I got one confirmation email as soon as I ordered and a second one about 3 weeks later that it had been sent and would take 6 - 12 work days to arrive.
    It finally arrived on my doorstep day before I got my PS5, 7 days from the last email, 26 days from the initial order.

Shoujoboy and orangpelupa like this.
  10. BoardBonobo

BoardBonobo My hat is white(ish)!
    Veteran

What I want to know is why is the adapter so big? It there a design doc at Sony which states that all PS5 peripherals have to be some golden ratio of the PS5 itself? :D

11. rabidrabbit

rabidrabbit A Reformed Member
    Legend Veteran

Someone has done a tear down on the adapter

tinokun, Shoujoboy, Pete and 3 others like this.
  12. DSoup

DSoup Series Soup
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I got an email but no tracking number. It took about three days from the email to arrive through the good old Royal Mail.

orangpelupa likes this.
  13. BoardBonobo

BoardBonobo My hat is white(ish)!
    Veteran

PS5 topped the hardware sales charts in the UK - pushing the Switch into second place for the first time in months. And that is with Switch sales being up by 96%!

14. ChuckeRearmed

Regular Newcomer

If Switch sales were up by 100% it would have won:-D Can we now roughly estimate the amount of sold consoles?

What do you mean?

15. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

Messy hair they didn't bother to wash/comb, and/or receding hairlines.

I did, though only last week. This monday I got an e-mail saying it had been shipped and I should expect it by tomorrow or friday.

I'm seeing a number of reports claiming sales of 2:1 compared to the SeriesX.
    These should be eventually putting to rest all those news from Business Insider claiming production problems on the PS5 and that TSMC leaker claiming there are much more waffers for Anaconda / SeriesX and for the PS5. Unless the yields for the former are terrible.

So there's an IC for signal conversion? That seems really expensive, considering they're giving away up to 5 million of those.
    Hopefully that was the last time we ever saw a non-standard connector in a Sony console.

goonergaz likes this.
  16. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Typically I wouldn't agree that with the statement and largely for mainstream consumer devices Yields != units sold

There are a variety of methods to mitigate yield issues on silicon. Even if the SoC itself is the limiting factor for construction of the console (which it likely isn't).

Yield issues for Sony would only reflect in an increase of price at the most. Not a limit of supplies.

DSoup likes this.
  17. Allandor

Regular Newcomer

18. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

Its a new console launch for the PS5, its kinda to be expected.

19. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

Maybe it’s because things expand with heat, so they need to make sure games fit even when hot?

Please ignore me.

JPT likes this.
  20. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

Nothing is an infinite as nothing.