Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release Holiday 2020]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by BRiT, Mar 17, 2020.

1. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Whilst that was going on I ordered the new 12.9" iPad Pro. :yes:

VitaminB6 likes this.
  2. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

All this time talking about 3d audio, yeah... sounds like a "oh shit, we have to talk about something MS didn't do"... I was getting curious, until the end like "well, that's the goal, and right now we have that : *need headset*" . Yeah so it's like any 3d audio stuff, but with a nicer presentation... No mention of VRS btw ?

I'll still buy a PS5 for the exclusive game, but it seems, power-wise, MS have the advantage, and I really like the fixed clock btw.
    Cerny said it won't be a problem with ps5, but I doubt it...

Lightman likes this.
  3. manux

Veteran Regular

Likely the difference in sony boost versus pc boost is that sony boost can work independent of temperature. It's only dependent on the power draw. At least that's how I understood what cerny spoke. Same boost is always achievable on all consoles, but if some game hammers cpu real hard the gpu has less power available and hence less clocks. This means each consoles boosts always the same way independent of ambient temp/chip quality.

4. Picao84

Veteran Regular

I'm not buying it. They are just saying "it is not the same thing because...."

5. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

What was the news about BC? I missed it.

6. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Again, too early to say. This is a hardware view, and PS4 BC is in hardware. Earlier PS BC will be performed by emulation, which is a software and services discussion for a later date. Seriously no-one should be choosing console based on these incomplete reveals, not least because, for all you know, XBSX costs $1000! Just wait and see and enjoy the ride!

7. DSoup

DSoup meh

I knew Sony's GNM would bite them for compatibility. This is the problem you create when you have little-to-no abstraction layer in a complex system.

8. VitaminB6

Newcomer

Ok thank you that makes sense.

9. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Some sort of odd verbiage relating to 'about 100 of the top games available' or some such.

TheAlSpark likes this.
  10. Esrever

Regular Newcomer

With how everyone is looking at this and waiting, they should have adapted at least a little bit of it to the gamer audience...

I mean, dumping this much technicals before even showing the console box is kind of over most people's heads.

11. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

AMD designed the GPU to be BC. It's hardware BC with PS4. Kinda lame. Other platforms weren't talked about.

And what pisses me off?! He mentions that the SPUs in Cell would be ideal for audio processing but they modified a CU instead for Tempest. Bastards! Why didn't Cerny include Cell?! Does he not even read my posts here?!?!

12. Rangers

Legend

Also, PS5 gets 448GB/s BW all the time. Series X gets 560, but only to 10GB. Then it gets 336 to other 6GB.

This calculation is probably dumb but, 448X16=7168. 560X10+336X6=7616. This is only 1.0625% more BW. Or relatively less per Flop.

Would there be anything to the claim it kind of evens out and PS5 has greater relative average bandwidth?

Just looking for positives for PS5. Overall it certainly seems in a MASSIVELY better position than One was vs PS4. You can point to:

-Same fast memory architecture, where One had to deal with a deficient memory architecture with ESRAM.
    -2X SSD throughput
    -The bandwidth shenanigans listed above.
    -Even if you disregarded boost clock and just assume a real figure of 9.2, a significantly closer FLOP spec (One, 28% less flops 1.3/1.8, PS5 24% less, 9.2/12.1). Boost clocks for whatever they're worth can narrow it to 15% deficit 10.28/12.1.

I'd easily dial back the CPU to like 3.2 and pump the GPU then.

Lightman and yoowul like this.
  13. DSoup

DSoup meh

Not quite - they tested the top 100 PS4 games (by playtime) and found most worked - or most will work by launch. I've love to know more about what is problematic and why.

BRiT likes this.
  14. jayco

Veteran Regular

So, in summary:
    - That I/O design looks to be very innovative. I wonder how efficient PS5 is compared to XBSX.
    - Having compatibility with OTS NVME drives will help competition and keep the prices down.
    - The 2.23GHZ for the GPU seems quite high. If this is a last minute decision I wonder whether this is going to be an issue in the long term.
    - 3D audio seems a more refined version of what the XBX will offer.
    - No Box.
    - Not a single demo.

Sony has lost the raw power battle, they know it and they decided to use GDC to reveal the specs, only tech talk, no games, no demos, nothing.

From now on I don't think you will Sony talking much about specs, and only about real performance and showcasing as many games as they can.

15. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

They tested the top 100 most played games and most worked. As a sampling, one would assume that if 90/100 of the top titles worked, 90% of the entire library would work. There's no reason why the most played games would be inherently easier to run in BC mode (unless they're mobile games :p)

16. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

I think a difference between no perceptible load time and a fast load time is noticeable.

The clockspeed difference means certain things like geometry rate and fill rate could be a good bit faster on PS5, too.

egoless, Apollo Helios and goonergaz like this.
  17. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I think it's unfortunate these companies burden future designs with backwards compat.

I'm curious about that IO performance. Their storage is pretty much like a RAM pool now.

Apollo Helios and szymku like this.
  18. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

So it's not time to...

...Cell-ebrate?

scf, Apollo Helios, Lightman and 10 others like this.
  19. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Only one company is burdened by BC. ;)

Silent_Buddha, AzBat and VitaminB6 like this.
  20. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Just finished watching
    1. Cerny's voice sounds so clear and his explanation is surprisingly easy to understand despite the topic

2. He openly admit their mistake with ps4 cooling, and they really fixed it with PS5

3. PS5 basically runs in boost mode almost all the time and the cooling solution is already designed to properly handle that

4. There will be a teardown video (they also did for PS4)

5. Storage expandable with USB hdd and internal slot for extra m2 SSD. But not all ssd will be compatible. No info whether the OS will be able to automatically juggle data from hdd to ssd or not. But it's confirmed that you'll be able to manually move game to ssd.

6. Real 3d audio for everyone for headphones, TV speakers, sound bar, surround speakers. The quality will still be in progress even after launch. Hopefully it'll still support dolby/ac3 encoding over optical...

7. The audience are cardboard cutouts?

Apollo Helios, Lightman and goonergaz like this.