Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Weird, I don't see 8 TFLOPs anywhere. Nor 9.2TFLOPs.

We must be seeing a different specs table. Maybe it's a localization issue with Eurogamer.
Git Hub was 36CUs. Different clocks would get diferrence TFlops. The 10 TF number is boosted clocks which may not be maintained when things get hot*. The GitHub gospel totally won this one; the Insiders had absolutely nothing but empty promises.

* HOWEVER, Cerny is bullish about his cooling solution and claims speeds are most of the time at or around that 2.2 GHz. The design was high clocks form the outset. GitHub showed 2 GHz at test. AMD and Sony have managed to push that higher since.

Last edited:
TeamGitHub was about 36 CUs, but do whatever you need to cope.
Yes, I'm the one who needs to cope with a 15% difference in compute throughput (with a significantly faster back-end) instead of your dear promised 33%.

Salt much?
Don't worry, it'll get better with time.

Git Hub was 36CUs. Different clocks would get diferrence TFlops. The 10 TF number is boosted clocks which may not be maintained when things get hot. The GitHub gospel totally won this one; the Insiders had absolutely nothing but empty promises.

Github Inquisition team constantly mocked my posts suggesting over 2GHz clocks. Their whole bullying constantly revolved around the 33% compute throughput difference.
I can get you the quotes, when I get the time. Assuming goalposts aren't moved after I do.

Holy crap, this is terrible boost system imo. Only looking at the logic being ran but trying maximize clocks will result in so many consoles overheating over the lifetime. The cooling system always degrades and if it's 60C at launch and boosting, once some dust gets in there, its going to 100C easily.

Will have to see what actually happens at launch but I have a feeling the console will launch hot and only get hotter over time with those kind of clocks if they really are targeting boost at those frequencies.

Sounds like Boost was bolted on in order to achieve +10TF. There's no way it was designed like that from the beginning??

Tommy McClain

It sounds like it, and I think they will have issues with fan noise and heat management. Also the reliability of the chip.

Weird, I don't see 8 TFLOPs anywhere. Nor 9.2TFLOPs.

We must be seeing a different specs table. Maybe it's a localization issue with Eurogamer.
Yea, mate. Everyone here is super dumb.

Not like 36CU @2.0GHz was called "idiotic" and "Cerny would never design such thing". Well, yea...he would even introduce boost into console depending on power consumption and heat emition, who would have thought.

Gospel .ini file :

gc_ea_gddr6_1750MHz_2GB_2GB1Cs_16b_BankGroupEn0_RecEn_perf.gfxclk2000.oberon.ini"

Even got 14Gbps right. I guess those internal BW results with ~12% better results are result of higher shader clocks.

I'm liking ps5. I'll get one at launch(preorder). And once pc side catches up on io/... side I'll upgrade my very old desktop to modern times and enjoy master race flops on those games where it makes sense.

Back