Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release Holiday 2020]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by BRiT, Mar 17, 2020.

1. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

That slide makes Cerny sounds like a fresh engineering graduate, hell even the graduate could accomplish something much better than that BS contained in the slide.

egoless likes this.
  2. temesgen

Veteran Regular

If the SSD stuff works as advertised, are people really going to have the patience to play legacy games with load times or is it better to just fork it here?

Personally I'm thinking the bc is more of a waste of resources and if it forced aspects of the design not worth the hassle.

I've been cheerleading MS overall ecosystem for a couple years now and to me it looks like they are starting to hit their stride.

3. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

There's a place within the noise of this forum where the relentless attacks are exposing a surprising amount of fear.

I wonder what it's about.

goonergaz, disco_ and jayco like this.
  4. Inuhanyou

Veteran Regular

Ps4 bc is absolutely worth it. Theres no argument against it

iroboto and ToTTenTranz like this.
  5. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

By june we will see games and then people can start to judge for themselves. It didn't take long for people to see the performance differences between the xbox one and ps4. I would wager if there is enough of a power difference where one of these consoles is able to pull ahead we will notice it much faster considering how the internet and sites like DF have evolved so much from 2012/2013.

My only questions is if this dynamic clocking from AMD is so great and its in ryzen and navi, why is only one company enabling it. I don't think its a simple as what sony claims and i don't think its as horrible as detractors think.

I am also interested to see what cooling and design sony goes with because of the large departure MS took.

PSman1700 likes this.
  6. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Cache scrubbers and fast I/O, supposedly.

7. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

At this point, given the related architecture, it makes almost no sense to exclude it. Also, Microsoft let everyone know early that they were making their next console backwards compatible. It's not a thing you can let your rival get away with anymore.

I am curious if the 36 CU decision is related to BC, though. It's exactly the same as PS4pro, and Sony's backwards compatibility has often been achieved by down clocking and handling workloads in as close to original hardware configurations as possible.

PSman1700 and BRiT like this.
  8. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

I'm sure Sony hadn't shown the PS4 by now in relation to the timeline.

It absolutely is critical now with how important it is for people to use your network and to try and lock them in to using it.

jgp, egoless, goonergaz and 2 others like this.
  9. chris1515

Veteran Regular

Sony showed the PS4 at E3 2013.

10. temesgen

Veteran Regular

Again at what cost? If PS5 hardware design was restricted in a material way to make it possible to run old games, I'm not sure it was worth the trouble.

Especially if zero load times on the platform has a negative impact on your ability to enjoy the older games. It very well could be a demarcation line much like the transition from 2d to 3d. I loved Mass Effect when it came out but I've never gone back and been able to enjoy replaying it because of the load times.

My point is simply, it's great to have bc but the user experience is about amplify people's awareness of the inconveniences and I'm not sure the nostalgia will be enough for many gamers.

11. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

What will happen to all that content taking space in PSN, generating cost that will not be accessible to the users/buyers of newer consoles? Thats also a waste.

12. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

Yeah so this rhetoric that Sony is behind and scrambling because they haven't shown the box yet is nonsense.

egoless and goonergaz like this.
  13. Dictator

Newcomer

Like you I have trouble rectifying some of what has been said to be completely honest - I think that puzzlement is reflected in the article and video put out yesterday. Gotta wait for games or see what else devs can say over time I guess.

iroboto, BRiT and PSman1700 like this.
  14. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

Seems pretty straight forward to me. I honestly don't understand the confusion.

Globalisateur and megre like this.
  15. fehu

Veteran Regular

they do not want to show off captures from dev system that do not match what a production console would produce

This is so much unsony that invalidates all the rest.

16. jayco

Veteran Regular

https://respawnfirst.com/remedy-explains-control-will-be-on-ps5/

Tatu Aalto, lead graphics programmer at Remedy.

egoless, megre and temesgen like this.
  17. Barrabas

Regular Newcomer

oof, all this clock stuff makes me feel like a clockwork orange:wink:. I give credit to Cerny to even put that variable clock out to the public. He could just have said 3.5 and 2.23 Ghz and be done with it. He would then be asked how are you able to do this crazy GPU clock without melting the system and he could have replied that they have special tech inside to avoid that. Anyhow I agree with folks here that variable clocks seems to be a smart and forward looking way of maximizing performance and efficiency and I add, regardless to the number of CU's.

18. pTmdfx

Regular Newcomer

Pete likes this.
  19. Inuhanyou

Veteran Regular

Nice...that last point also makes sense for why sony is focusing so much on removing as many bottlenecks to the system regarding drive speed as possible. As time goes on and assets density and complexity increase, how game data is managed will stick out all the more on next gen. So really focusing on i/0 is really a forward thinking design as we knew

egoless likes this.
  20. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

The last snippet where he says we could have the same loading times as today because of the more data next gen games could use doesn't make any sense to me.

Surely the biggest load possible is 16GB and the PS5 will do that in probably under 3 seconds?

Unless I'm missing something.

BRiT likes this.