Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release Holiday 2020]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by BRiT, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Dictator

Newcomer

DX12 Ultimate and AMD says RDNA 2.0 does. We essentially asked SONY whether the primitive shader is functionally the same as the mesh shader described by AMD (since primitive shaders are not the same), whether any of the above extensions of sampler feedback are there, and whether or not it supports VRS as AMD has outlined it. Those all require HW components. We wait!

Pete, Betanumerical, tinokun and 8 others like this.
  2. goonergaz

Veteran

IIRC Cerny did mention it was custom and that if they didn’t feel it would fit with their strategy/requirement then they wouldn’t have it.

3. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Rootax likes this.
  4. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Thx, I'm a little out of the loop these days.

5. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if Cerny said 'no' to VRS. It's like, free performance. On a silver plate.

ToTTenTranz, Nesh and Mitchings like this.
  6. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Maybe they started ps5 design before rdna 2 ? In 2019, their was a rumor about a ps5 with jaguar based cpu, but higher speed, and a new gpu, but it was scrapped. OC it was just a rumour .

7. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

The theoretical specs existed in design only but never made it beyond that to physical chips.

8. goonergaz

Veteran

Well it's not 'free' as such (or is it!?) maybe they dedicated that part of their budget to something else (cache scrubbers? or something else which he said was exclusive to PS5) - I don't know, just throwing it out there.

9. NavNucST3

Veteran

Really excited for this device, having not had a PS4 this is going to be a fantastic pickup.

disco_ likes this.
  10. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

Planning to buy at launch?

11. NavNucST3

Veteran

Depends on income flow around launch, I have two XSX to grab (I'm assuming no Lockhart) and a PS5 (my son will have to get his own); it really depends on pricing for everything. Actually... it mostly depends on if the startup I'm part of is a money sink or money maker lol.

Silent_Buddha, JPT, turkey and 7 others like this.
  12. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

VRS seems to be more software than hardware. Figuring out which section of the image can get away with less resoluton sounds like a difficult problem. They were doing a simple form of VRS on PSVR and planned it for foveated rendering, so it's a no-brainer they continued in that direction.

I'm curious what physical hardware is required for helping with VRS though.

13. Betanumerical

Veteran

Isn't figuring out what sections of the images can get away with less resolution a pretty simple problem from a perceptual point of view?. From what I can tell you could easily have some heuristics related to how different a 'block' within the screen is to another based around the colour values, brightness, etc, and when you fall below a given value you start doing VRS on those areas.

14. Rockster

Regular

Did you also happen to ask about the power profile choices given to developers? I'm interested to understand how it limits computational usage for a given frequency choice since power consumption would be application dependent. If I choose the profile which provides me the maximum clock speed, then presumably I could write some code that would exceed that power budget. Is the scheduler throttling or are additional hardware blocks deactivated? All very curious indeed. Not to mention the source of a lot of confusion and misinformation.

15. jlippo

Veteran Regular

VRS is slightly tweaked MSAA.

Not entirely sure what allows to feed the change in subsamples shading to hardware.

Pretty sure the generation of the image which controls MSAA/VRS rate is pure software.

BRiT and Dictator like this.
  16. Scott_Arm

Legend

17. Love_In_Rio

Veteran

Listen to this with headphones. A taste of what will be possible with Tempest engine!:

chris1515 and sir doris like this.
  18. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

That video was linked here many years ago. We still live in hope!

19. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Impressive, abit like this binaural audio. The above clip sounds alot different then real life though... abit too much good maybe, or its my ears, too much fighter jets at close range :p Sound like that in games would be a game changer though, esp in MP games. Hope we see much more on the audio side of things 2020 and later. Would something like that even work in online games though? So much data to transmit?
    Also, audio like that probably won't be limited to just a tempest engine ;)

20. fehu

Veteran Regular

I'm not an audio fan and probably I'm missing something, but I clearly remember this kind of demo running on my glorious creative 128.

PSman1700 likes this.