Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

That's new to me, do you have the exact quote from Cerny?

Nope, cannot find it, maybe I'm imagining things.
But did re-listen to the whole "power/frequency" talk. And it seems like Cerny is very direct about where the boost comes from: do not use AVX on CPU and you will be fine.

But did re-listen to the whole "power/frequency" talk. And it seems like Cerny is very direct about where the boost comes from: do not use AVX on CPU and you will be fine.
He never said that.

A normal TDP would need margins for AVX every cycle, which they don't need because of the statistical occurence of AVX. That doesn't mean using AVX is a problem.

Last edited:

I belive Alex (Dictator) gave that information.

I wonder if SMT might also cause this when tuned and running full tilt.

Microsoft drop clocks with SMT enabled so must be possible to push it quite hard, especially with the level of control and single target optimisation console developers undertake.

I belive Alex (Dictator) gave that information.

I wonder if SMT might also cause this when tuned and running full tilt.

Microsoft drop clocks with SMT enabled so must be possible to push it quite hard, especially with the level of control and single target optimisation console developers undertake.

Is till have no idea why people are so fixated on CPU performance.
Current gen it was too slow to run the branchy game code, I can understand that.
But these CPUs seem pretty fine for that task.

I believe DF indicated priorities for how the system will move power accordingly. That means developers can for example bias towards GPU or cpu, or balanced. Cerny indicated it would be deterministic so that the performance would be the same across all PlayStations regardless of their environments and heat etc.

Is till have no idea why people are so fixated on CPU performance.
Current gen it was too slow to run the branchy game code, I can understand that.
But these CPUs seem pretty fine for that task.
The new CPUs are only rated as 4x more powerful. You lose half that moving to 60fps. Now you only have 2x left for game code and other things.

Let me understand it.
Why high CPU clock is needed?
Or, let's say, what's the penalty of 2.9 vs 3.5GHz?
Is there any hard data?
It’s what I’m waiting for. we have data on how high clocks on silicon give back diminishing returns on additional performance. The GPU is clocked very high. So leads me to believe it needs more power.

The new CPUs are only rated as 4x more powerful. You lose half that moving to 60fps. Now you only have 2x left for game code and other things.
With the audio section being equivalent power of the entire cpu, and the decompression engine bigger than that, there's a big improvement in what remains available, and at least 3 times the effective cpu power than just the zen cores. We have also some geometry processing possibly moved entirely to the gpu which wasn't always the case this gen.

I don't know... I'm really happy so far.

With the audio section being equivalent power of the entire cpu, and the decompression engine bigger than that, there's a big improvement in what remains available, and at least 3 times the effective cpu power than just the zen cores. We have also some geometry processing possibly moved entirely to the gpu which wasn't always the case this gen.

I don't know... I'm really happy so far.
I’m still deciding if I should get a PS5 coupled with upgrading my PC. It’s just a lot of decisions to be made :)

I'm not sure that pushing pre-built command buffers around should be that compute intensive. Why?
Because feeding commands to the GPU should be a non issue this generation. I’m not concerned about draw calls. I want to see new game design paradigms happen not more of the same that we have this gen

Because feeding commands to the GPU should be a non issue this generation. I’m not concerned about draw calls. I want to see new game design paradigms happen not more of the same that we have this gen

Cool. Waiting for that too.
But so far it was pretty disappointing.
CPUs need to go from game development.

Back