Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Also Mr Cerny said 2.23 GHz was the limit before the logics go haywire, but how did AMD reach 2.5 GHz? Did they reserve the best for themselves or was PS5's GPU not truly RDNA 2? :???:

AMD can bin some amount of their GPU's at lower clockspeeds.

Presumably, Sony decided that their clockspeed was the best balance of clockspeed and cost. The latter increasing the fewer viable chips per wafer.

Also, Cerny did state that they capped the GPU's clockspeed at 2.23GHz. So it can go higher. Not that any PS5's will, given they'll be validated for 2.23GHz and aren't binned as different models.

A Sony patent was posted here a little while ago involving several versions of chiplets, one version being two SoC's (and another being an SoC and a GPU, one an SoC and CPU, and so on.) It would be worth binning SoC's in that case, as the SoC's with, say, a higher peak GPU clockspeed could be used in a hypothetical PS5 Pro Duo (see what I did there? :cool: ) consisting of two conjoined SoC's.

Edit:
What about XSX then? Because 1.825 ghz seems like a typical RDNA1 clock. Anyways, I want to see the receipts for that supposed 2.5ghz clock.

I think Microsoft went with a sensible clockspeed up front to save on expensive cooling, whereas Sony are doing the opposite: they're going to eat the initial cost of cooling, knowing that 2.23GHz will be child's play to cool at 5nm and beyond. Literally. Every PS5 Slim will be cooled by two tiny children on a seesaw. For this reason, the PS5 Slim will be gargantuan compared to the original fat model.

Last edited:
Hi all, sorry for bringing up backwards compatibility again but the recent Spider-man discussion made me think of something. I still see people saying the "PS5 native mode" is a boost mode, but don't think that's true at all. I think what Cerny meant is that they are literally native PS5 games.

As per Insomniac, Miles Morales PS4 version "gives you access to the PS5 digital version (disc still required)". Witcher 3, Borderlands 3, Dirt 5, Rainbow Six, WRC 9, Control, Destiny, NBA 2k21, CoD, Avengers... Every single game, new and old, with a confirmed PS5 upgrade (whether free or not) is also releasing as a native PS5 title. The disc is most likely just used as proof of ownership, it doesn't actually install anything from the disc or download any patches. You simply download the PS5 version.

For this reason, I'm willing to bet "PS5 patches" aren't really a thing (like they are on Xbox with Gears 5). So I would not expect TLOU2 or GoT (or any other game for that matter) to receive upgrades without them also coming out on PS5 - which I guess is what's gonna happen next year with Cyberpunk.

Does this make sense to anybody else? If so, where does boost mode fit in all of this? Is it a mode at all, like the one you can select on Pro?

My guess is pretty simple... If you put a ps4 game, the game will act like it sees a ps4 pro, with boost enabled... Nothing crazy here...

Ah, didn't know power gating reduces the overall power draw to near zero. For GPU power saving I guess it's more practical to reduce frequency and voltage? Is there any GPU known to power gate cores for power saving?
I think it may be practical for them to test each die on the silicon "assembly" line, then laser cut it.
For the silicon that in a gated region, there is minimal current flowing in other than what is leaking through the power gates. Many current CPUs can gate at a core or core cluster level, and AMD's APUs are subdivided into regions that can be gated. The granularity is coarser than per-CU, usually the graphics domain, video decoder, and regions related to maintaining low-power redisplay are separated.

The challenge is that power gating isn't free in terms of power or performance. The power gates individually consume power when switching, since they are large transistors, and there is a latency period when silicon is powered back on where it is not usable. That region is consuming power during power-up as there can be significant current flow, and such processes are often purposefully slowed down to keep the rest of the chip's power delivery network from being pulled down excessively.
It's not clear that the activity level of CUs can be predicted well enough or is consistent enough for large GPUs to be trying to totally power gate them at the CU level.

The PS4 Pro's way of handling backwards compatibility indicates that gating can be done at the level of multiple CUs or shader engines. I'm not sure AMD can gate the CUs individually, but the overall array can be.
That goes to my earlier discussion about the amount of power consumed by CUs disabled at the factory versus those disabled on the fly. The CUs are all wired into a power delivery network, and it's going to deliver power to them unless there's something that can individually isolate them. I don't know what extra measure physical measure can be done at the factory that would be able to isolate a CU any more than the GPU's existing power gates, but those can be controlled by the firmware or GPU
I don't think lasering hundreds of 65nm wires at arbitrary points in production is practical.

Ps5 is now in the hands of many jap youtubers.... we should know soon correct news about BC.... or at least I hope. It's really a mistery why Sony did not give a bit more wide tech informations.

Ps5 is now in the hands of many jap youtubers.... we should know soon correct news about BC.... or at least I hope. It's really a mistery why Sony did not give a bit more wide tech informations.
No info on UI, BC, the special AI assist, new share features if they are there.....
It all smells like Sony has been in a fair deal of challenges in the making of PS5 they havent fully resolved fast enough

Back