Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Did you actually watch the whole video or just the debunking bit (which is all you mention).

He literally said several sources have confirmed 3% worst case for a couple of frames at worst.

Essentially if this is true the PS5 will indeed be at maximum speed most of the time as Cerny stated.
Nah I didn’t watch it all.
That’s fine. It can be nearly all the time. Given the costs of the box and size of box; the tear down will showcase the rest.

That’s fine. It can be nearly all the time. Given the costs of the box and size of box; the tear down will showcase the rest.

It was a bad link from myself - I should have just added a further link when he starts talking about the smart shift in PS5 and what he's heard - problem is he tends to ramble on a bit and I was tight for time...it was just good to hear something quite solid. And that coupled with the EGX comments from John at DF that devs are super happy with PS5 should put to rest the crap that people are peddling.

Yes seems best to wait and see, if it's only in extremely rare cases anything will clock down (never), and when it does, a max of 1 to 3%, then you wonder why they even bothered with the whole tech.
Also, can't ever imagine real devs coming out and saying they aint happy with a platform from a big corporation.

Yes seems best to wait and see, if it's only in extremely rare cases anything will clock down (never), and when it does, a max of 1 to 3%, then you wonder why they even bothered with the whole tech.
Also, can't ever imagine real devs coming out and saying they aint happy with a platform from a big corporation.

He is the CTO of Id Software said on twitter, he does not like Xbox Series S. He doesn't hide it at all. Devs can said to redtech gaming or Richard Leadbetter they hate PS5 it is better they talk anonymously. There is no risk to tell PS5 is a piece of shit to a journalist. All devs are happy.

But they deleted their tweet after for business reason.

It was a bad link from myself - I should have just added a further link when he starts talking about the smart shift in PS5 and what he's heard - problem is he tends to ramble on a bit and I was tight for time...it was just good to hear something quite solid. And that coupled with the EGX comments from John at DF that devs are super happy with PS5 should put to rest the crap that people are peddling.
Yea he kept rambling, I wasn't sure when to stop lol.

you can keep the clocks locked or close to fixed, but its just an increase of costs.
The original debate around moving clocks is really a discussion about, costs, power/heat, and cooling: in which many people whether on this forum or not, were pushing for a $399 PS5 that would be both small and cool and somehow maintain these clocks. It just wasn't realistic.

Something had to give. We now have the largest console ever made, combined at a price point in which its performance level is below their competitor at the same price. This is what I would expect would have to give at the very least if you want to keep those clocks high. You'd just have to invest in better cooling and yields.

The real debate is whether they could have kept lower clocks and had a smaller better box with marginally less performance coming in at 399. But that's not relevant because that's not going to happen now that we know what's going on.

Yes, your right actually, i remember that GG dev being dissapointed in the PS5, aside from others that where shared here before. Anyway, i think having happy and unhappy devs will always exist in a vacuum.

While we are at it, EG on PS5 supplies.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...bp6aT4o3GKxq_DzTAOZXeCuCm58EN2tosEVA4EKxRRzSs

The guy who stop to work on videogames nearly a decade ago a big source at GAF. He does not have a devkit. Again I talk about actual dev with the devkit. The same Billy Khan of Id Software share his enthusiasm about PS5 the day before Road to PS5 like multiples other devs and devs said they are happy to Digitalfoundry Richard Leadbetter but @Dictator told in era he heard devs are happy of the console. Same Jason Schreier heard from devs with devkits they are happy of PS5.

PS5 is less powerful than Xbox Series X but devs seems for some of them to dislike Xbox Series S and the new Xbox SDK. The same Billy Khan told he likes Xbox Series X too.

I think Digitalfoundry face off will be funny in November.

Last edited:
Again I talk about actual dev with the devkit. The same Billy Khan of Id Software share his enthusiasm about PS5 the day before Road to PS5 like multiples other devs and devs said they are happy to Digitalfoundry Richard Leadbetter but @Dictator told in era he heard devs are happy of the console. Same Jason Schreier heard from devs with devkits they are happy of PS5.

Their always going to be happy, with a current install base of 100m, devs are not going to publically open up themselfs in their own person.
Even then, i have seen man 'real devs with real devkits', ranging from very unhappy to extremely happy. This jason we don't or should even discuss, it was ugly last time.

I think DF's analysis are intresting rather then 'funny'.

Their always going to be happy, with a current install base of 100m, devs are not going to publically open up themselfs in their own person.
Even then, i have seen man 'real devs with real devkits', ranging from very unhappy to extremely happy. This jason we don't or should even discuss, it was ugly last time.

I think DF's analysis are intresting rather then 'funny'.

They can do like most devs said nothing but he will learn to like Xbox series Id Software is now an Xbox studio. ;) Read the news in console industry.

Microsoft just buy Zenimax Media/Bethesda.

They can do like most devs said nothing but he will learn to like Xbox series Id Software is now an Xbox studio. ;) Read the news in console industry.

holy, that deserves a spin off. oh man, I didn't expect to wake up to that while sitting on the can

?? Cerny explained why.

They can speak to DF in confidence, devs with Xbox have said they are not happy but devs with PS5 are singing it's praises as to how happy they are because it's a natural progression from PS4 to PS5, therefore it's much easier to work with. Doesn't mean it's performing better, but it does mean the BS that's been put around about devs struggling with the PS5 h/w is just that, BS.

Funny or fun to watch? I think you mean the latter.

Oh boy! Popcorn time! : popcorn: emoji

So they couldn't buy WB, next best thing, buy Zenimax!

Last edited:
Okay, can we keep the mass confusion of Sony BC and what devs are happy or unhappy about a new to them Xbox Game Development Evenvironment out of the Sony PS5 Technical thread?

Might I suggest taking the Sony BC Messaging to the How to Sell thread? Is that a more fitting thread?

That’s more the history of a specific type of game and of the history of 3D graphics on the console, but I get your point.

But to be honest God of War on PS3 was more impressive than Demon Souls gameplay here om PS5. Ditto for Uncharted and several other stuff.

It was interesting to hear the DF interview with the Dirt 5 developer by the way, talking about using one of the cores to distribute work to the rest, reminded me a lot of the Cell ppe and later spe based processor job scheduling back then.

That’s more the history of a specific type of game and of the history of 3D graphics on the console, but I get your point.

But to be honest God of War on PS3 was more impressive than Demon Souls gameplay here om PS5. Ditto for Uncharted and several other stuff.

It was interesting to hear the DF interview with the Dirt 5 developer by the way, talking about using one of the cores to distribute work to the rest, reminded me a lot of the Cell ppe and later spe based processor job scheduling back then.

Yes the wow factor is not as relevant as it used to be... however, Demon Souls looks phenomenal¡¡¡ If you had said Spiderman or even Horizon I'd agree way more with you, but the Demon Souls demo is one of the most impressive games I've seen in a while. It's the only thing close to the UE5 demo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the wow factor is not as relevant as it used to be... however, Demon Souls looks phenomenal¡¡¡ If you had said Spiderman or even Horizon I'd agree way more with you, but the Demon Souls demo is one of the most impressive games I've seen in a while. It's the only thing close to the UE5 demo.

Its amazing how different perceptions can be, some think it looks impressive, some think spiderman looks better in turn.
Atleast everyone could agree on ue5 tech demo.

Back