Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I buy digital because of its benefits.

1) No more having to go to a store and hope they have it. Yes even with preorders I have gone to a store that I reserved the game at and they didn't have copies. I save time and money by doing this
2) I can buy a game at any time. If its midnight and I want to play a new game i can just buy and download and start playing. Here in the states I most likely need to buy between 10am and 9pm. In my area I can't buy games at retail on Sunday i have to drive to another county like 20-30 minutes away to buy on a sunday
3) Storage space I used to have thousands of dvds and then I ripped them all and I have 2 8 TB hard drives in a raid with the data on them. They now sit in my attic. I used to have 4 pieces of furniture devoted to them. MY gaming was just as bad through the xbox 360. I had a piece of furniture just for my disc based video games.
4) not having to switch discs. When i had a console i enjoyed sitting on my couch and being able to pick what game i wanted with out having to get up find the game case and swap games each time i wanted to change the game I am playing
5) not having to deal with getting ripped off or fraud when selling the game

To me the extra money is worth it not to deal with any of this. With game pass I get access to a lot of games for a low price and if i really like the games i can purchase them on discount. EA has EA access and i am sure other companies will move to subscriptions

1) you don’t have to do that now? We have next day delivery from amazon and you can even sometimes find someone selling a copy of a game around the corner!

2) ok ‘play in 30 mins’ works when shops are shut

3) storage is still an issue, not everyone has super fast BB or external HHDs (which cost even more money!)

4) ok, I get you don’t like getting out of your chair

5) no, just losing access to your complete library through fraud (though I’m not even sure what you mean regarding physical copies!?)

I am very interested in how you come to this conclusion, ok theft I assume is just a bit of hyperbole.
But why should digital be cheaper than physical? Do you have the numbers that support that?

common sense is that something that is exactly the same but needs to be physically made, packaged, delivered (etc) will cost more. How is the music industry in comparison?

The retailers who sell physical copies of games would very much like to not be undercut by their suppliers and would probably not carry products from companies who consistently did so.

I'm not naive enough to think that if physical didn't exist that digital would automatically be cheaper, but there is some pressure for price parity despite the lower cost/greater profit afforded by digital.

so your logic is that Sony are selling at a higher price so they can make less money on the harder to produce version?

1) you don’t have to do that now? We have next day delivery from amazon and you can even sometimes find someone selling a copy of a game around the corner!

Amazon costs money. Next day delivery isn't available every where either Also packages get lost or never arrive. See the last of us 2 amazon shipping issues

2) ok ‘play in 30 mins’ works when shops are shut
It does. know when else it works ? While on lunch i'm talking with co workers , everyone wants to play this game after work. I don't have it so i purchase it and my system or pc downloads it while i'm at work and its ready to pay at home. No more going out of my way on my commute to get the game. No more having to leave my house to get the game. Is that worth $1 or $5 or $30 ? I dunno maybe combined with everything else its worth it

3) storage is still an issue, not everyone has super fast BB or external HHDs (which cost even more money!)
i'm sorry but aren't the vast majority of xbox one and ps4 games install only and use the disc as a license check ? Also people can remove and reinstall games as needed. If you install from a disc your going to likely need updates anyway.

4) ok, I get you don’t like getting out of your chair
I love getting out of my chair. I run 10ks and half marathons and I'm training to run a dopey (5/10/half/full) at Disney in 2022. I just rather not waste a bunch of time getting up and down changing out games when my 6 year old nephew changes his mind on a game multiple times. Or if i'm nice and relaxed playing Spiderman and my friend gets online he wants to play destiny I then have to get up and swap discs. Seems like a useless step

5) no, just losing access to your complete library through fraud (though I’m not even sure what you mean regarding physical copies!?)

I've been on steam since it launched and never had that problem. Do you not do 2FA ? I've also been on live since it launched and never had it happen. Do you not have 2FA ? Do you not use secure password ?

common sense is that something that is exactly the same but needs to be physically made, packaged, delivered (etc) will cost more. How is the music industry in comparison?
This isn't direct at me but I'd like to throw my two cents in. Retail space costs money. Warehouse space costs money. As games take longer to sell and move out that inventory space that could be used for higher margin items is wasted on a low margin item. That is why the stores start pricing them to sell. They ordered a lot for launch and now the remaining copies are sitting there not making any money.

so your logic is that Sony are selling at a higher price so they can make less money on the harder to produce version?

Sony makes less money on a physical copy because there are more hands in the pie when that sale happens. At the same time price reduces faster because inventory space is in demand. Its great for the customer because they can wait a bit and get a copy cheaper or get a used copy. Of course that makes sony and the publisher less money or no money in the case of a used game. That is why your seeing prices increase this generation. Because last generation a game launched at $60 and maybe 6 months later it was $30. Now it launches at $70 and i wont stop many of those day one buyers to get it and then 6 months later it might be on sale for $40 or even $50.. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point as more and more sales become digital and we get to that 90% mark or so that most games are less on digital when launched to just because so few copies are sold

The comment you quoted was putting forth a reason the pricing on digital downloads isn't consistently cheaper than disc-based versions despite the economic benefits for publishers/platform holders of enticing consumers to buy those versions. This along with Shifty's ,"because they don't have to." since consumers are moving that way without a discount being necessary seems to cover why that is.

I don't understand your response and what anything I said has to do with Sony, specifically. :confused:

To everyone defending digital prices please can you explain to me why the music and film industries are different? That's a genuine question. Physical costs more than digital in both those industries.

Amazon costs money. Next day delivery isn't available every where either Also packages get lost or never arrive. See the last of us 2 amazon shipping issues
Amazon costs money, it's still significantly cheaper. Packages get lost? Internet connects get lost and services go down.

It does. know when else it works ? While on lunch i'm talking with co workers , everyone wants to play this game after work. I don't have it so i purchase it and my system or pc downloads it while i'm at work and its ready to pay at home. No more going out of my way on my commute to get the game. No more having to leave my house to get the game. Is that worth $1 or $5 or $30 ? I dunno maybe combined with everything else its worth it
I guess I've always live in a convenient place like a lot of people, 24/7 superstores hold a reasonable selection of games that are not digital only. If I wanted that midnight game, it'd be quite close as to who got to play it first between you and myself - and I'd get it cheaper and with the ability to sell on. I do appreciate the digital option though, it's not that I don't get it.

i'm sorry but aren't the vast majority of xbox one and ps4 games install only and use the disc as a license check ? Also people can remove and reinstall games as needed. If you install from a disc your going to likely need updates anyway.
Reinstalling is significantly faster via disk - also I believe people have caps? Updates only required for online games.

I love getting out of my chair. I run 10ks and half marathons and I'm training to run a dopey (5/10/half/full) at Disney in 2022. I just rather not waste a bunch of time getting up and down changing out games when my 6 year old nephew changes his mind on a game multiple times. Or if i'm nice and relaxed playing Spiderman and my friend gets online he wants to play destiny I then have to get up and swap discs. Seems like a useless step
Sorry, it wasn't a dig or calling you lazy - I'm lazy! lol - I love not having to get up for something like that (I even mentioned my 'chase the case' game earlier. But to be honest, outside VR it's a minimal inconvenience.

I've been on steam since it launched and never had that problem. Do you not do 2FA ? I've also been on live since it launched and never had it happen. Do you not have 2FA ? Do you not use secure password ?
Not when my account was stolen I wasn't - I am now! Also people get wrongly banned.

This isn't direct at me but I'd like to throw my two cents in. Retail space costs money. Warehouse space costs money. As games take longer to sell and move out that inventory space that could be used for higher margin items is wasted on a low margin item. That is why the stores start pricing them to sell. They ordered a lot for launch and now the remaining copies are sitting there not making any money.
Well that was kind of my point, a product that costs substantially more to get to me costs less. Shops are having to take less profit to make it worth while, and yet still at ~20%+ saving compared to digital they still make a profit as do all the other links in the very long chain vs digital.

Sony makes less money on a physical copy because there are more hands in the pie when that sale happens. At the same time price reduces faster because inventory space is in demand. Its great for the customer because they can wait a bit and get a copy cheaper or get a used copy. Of course that makes sony and the publisher less money or no money in the case of a used game. That is why your seeing prices increase this generation. Because last generation a game launched at $60 and maybe 6 months later it was $30. Now it launches at $70 and i wont stop many of those day one buyers to get it and then 6 months later it might be on sale for $40 or even $50.. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point as more and more sales become digital and we get to that 90% mark or so that most games are less on digital when launched to just because so few copies are sold
I know this, that was my point. I'm not even sure what you mean by this statement as it has nothing to do with mine which was against a comment that implied digital prices are higher than retail because retail wouldn't be happy with Sony if they undercut them.

The comment you quoted was putting forth a reason the pricing on digital downloads isn't consistently cheaper than disc-based versions despite the economic benefits for publishers/platform holders of enticing consumers to buy those versions. This along with Shifty's ,"because they don't have to." since consumers are moving that way without a discount being necessary seems to cover why that is.

I don't understand your response and what anything I said has to do with Sony, specifically. :confused:
Sorry if I misunderstood - I said Sony because we're in a PS5 thread...but it applies to everyone. To me this is how the conversation went;

Karamazov "i just said to my point of view it's not a good value so i will never buy a digital game full price.
Thought i'm still sure it costs less to sell digital than physical. Even on PC stores digital games are less expensive."

You said "The retailers who sell physical copies of games would very much like to not be undercut by their suppliers and would probably not carry products from companies who consistently did so."

I said "so your logic is that Sony are selling at a higher price so they can make less money on the harder to produce version? "

I don't see the issue or confusion - but maybe we're talking about different things!? lol

Essentially I found the implication was that Sony dare not sell digital games for the same (or less) than retail because retail would stop selling their product. And I can't understand why Sony would do that as they make a significantly less amount of money from physical media.

We can still buy physical disks in stores even though they can be purchased cheaper digitally and even rented.

Last edited:
Couldn’t they move the rating board logo and/or “requires/supports PSVR/Move/whatever” logos onto that huge wasted expanse of white space? Not that it matters because we’re all going digital but ugly is ugly.

I imagine they want to keep that top strip with the PS5 logo as clear and uniform across all PS5 games as possible. When you start firing in bunch of logos you loose that and it becomes a clusterfest of visual noise.

I agree on PSN, it feels like it was designed by Microsoft, i.e. somebody who wants you to buy as few PlayStation games as possible! :LOL:

I really hope they do something decent with PS5's UI and Store. At launch PS4's UI was great but as the library of games began to expand and features added to the OS, I feel it stretched the original design-language of the UI. With PS5, because it is - presumably - inheriting all of PS4 key functionality, their initial design-language can hopefully accommodate all of this and still keep clear, concise and fluid.

I've owned a PS4 since 2013 and PS4 Pro since 2016 and occasionally I still forget how to find a certain settings or features. I've owned a Switch since 2017 and have never had that problem.

If you’re price sensitive your (potential) options are;

1) £500 + 45 for each game you can sell later so real cost 30
2) £450 + 60 for each game you can’t sell
I'm not sure why these initial prices are different? But this assumes people don't want to replay their games and are okay with selling them quickly (as proved plummet over time). So they always only have 1 or 2 games available to play? :???:

I am very interested in how you come to this conclusion, ok theft I assume is just a bit of hyperbole. But why should digital be cheaper than physical? Do you have the numbers that support that?

The 'logical/obvious' answer have all been put out there: no materials, no warehouse/distribution costs, no shipping frees (games delivered by mail etc). But people think cloud/server storage is free and it's anything but. :nope:

I always thought the higher cost of digital was about convenience. I.e. as long as your account is in good standing, it's impossible to lose games, you're little brother can't use your game as frisbee, your cat can't scratch your game etc. If something bad befalls your house, your games are ok and you can access/download them from any PlayStation you can login too.

In terms of digital, storing a library of games for tens of millions of customers in dozens and dozens of countries/regions is expensive, it's not like there is one copy on a HDD connected to a modem. Server infrastructure is expensive and maintaining it is expensive. Some costs amortise over time but most don't. If PSN has 10 games, or 7,000 - you still need people to maintain the server, ten games may get downloaded 70,000 times each, 7,000 games may get downloaded 10 times each. There is a natural equilibrium for usage (downloads) that generally does not result in cheaper (or more expensive) costs the more or less is being stored.

Most games sell the most at launch, so the big retailers might have some discounts for large bulk buys. But its also that they are willing to get less margin per unit to make sure they sell most of their stock. Having CoD2019 in stock or on the shelve for a year is basically money out the window. So they make a gamble, its their business modell.
For annual franchise they may be the case but this view came up in another thread and when it looked into is, it looked like for AA/AAA games, most games are actually sold after the launch window. For as many people there are interested in playing a game as soon as possible, them seem hopelessly outnumbered by people who are willing to wait for a sale.

Last edited by a moderator:

Common sense is really bad for a lot of things, especially if the things are not common. Most people do not have any idea what goes into distribution, so I am guessing common sense comes up short in this instance. And I am open to basically anything, until somebody really breaks it down with proper numbers and knowledge.

To everyone defending digital prices please can you explain to me why the music and film industries are different? That's a genuine question. Physical costs more than digital in both those industries.

The cost of making music and films are not the same as making a game? I do not know the numbers, but there are a lot of people involved in getting the game to gold status, could be a another reason.

I not have any numbers, but creating and distributing a disc does not cost much.
For Sony / MS, I am guessing that going from Gold into the store and having it on the shelf is cheaper with physical stuff when you break it down per title. Especially if they do not pay for retail space, but the retail stores covers that and freight. Albeit freight costs are probably very cheap.

Couldn’t they move the rating board logo and/or “requires/supports PSVR/Move/whatever” logos onto that huge wasted expanse of white space?

It took me a while but I've just realised there is a clear design-consistency with PS5, the console is black and white, the default controller is black and white and the banner at the top of PS5 games is also black and white.

I wonder if the default colours for the PS5 OS will be monochromatic-grey.

You said "The retailers who sell physical copies of games would very much like to not be undercut by their suppliers and would probably not carry products from companies who consistently did so."

I said "so your logic is that Sony are selling at a higher price so they can make less money on the harder to produce version? "

I don't see the issue or confusion - but maybe we're talking about different things!? lol

Essentially I found the implication was that Sony dare not sell digital games for the same (or less) than retail because retail would stop selling their product. And I can't understand why Sony would do that as they make a significantly less amount of money from physical media.

We can still buy physical disks in stores even though they can be purchased cheaper digitally and even rented.

The digital transition in music especially and movies is much further along. Maybe when the % of digital purchases finally reaches a high enough threshold we will start to see some movement where the people asking for the (for the platform holders/publishers/developers) less profitable option will be asked to pay more for their choice (which is more likely to happen then digital prices going down, IMO). We're not there yet.

As for why Sony (or anyone else) doesn't want to piss off their physical distribution partners, it's the same reason they didn't release a digital-only console. The # of consumers they would no longer be able to reach without physical distribution is still significant enough that it materially affects their bottom line. Selling more copies on less favorable terms is still selling more copies.

I think that comes down to piracy. People were getting digital copies for free - there was no way these industries could ask for the same for soft copies. As console games have robust security, consumers have no other choices than 1) buy hard copy or 2) buy soft copy. There's no 'stick it to the man and play for free until they bring the prices down' option 3.

Once physical fully goes away i hope psn keeps those great sales they have been doing as opposed to simply being content as the only game in town. I own way more games than i should because of sales freqently going into impulse buy territory

It's inevitable. You can only sell so many units at one price. To sell more, you have to discount.

Id hope so but i already hear things about discounts and deep sales devaluing the software IP from people in the nintendo ecosystem and rare or no drops in price seem to not have hurt nintendo much ever. I just hope once psn isnt competing with retail they keep things as they are.

You think thats pretty likely?

Because 1) Digital replaced physical a long time ago. When I was growing up there were huge sections of stores or even full stores devoted to physical music. First cassette then cd. There was a sam goody that was always packed , best buy had half the store devoted to VHS/Cassette and then CD took over Cassette and then DVD came to replace vhs. But now at Garden state plaza and willow brook have no music stores. The last survivor FYE is gone from almost every mall I've been too. Suncoast is gone it gave way to coconuts and then that gone now too. You go to a best buy and the huge floor space devoted to cd and dvd are now a fraction of the size and getting smaller each year.

2) Subscriptions are established. You've had subscription services for awhile. In the USA there were a 100m+ amazon prime subscribers. They all have access to prime music which is amazons base music streaming but for many its enough. Spotify had 286m users 130m of those are paying users world wide. IN june of 2019 apple music hit 68m. That doesn't include other subscription music like tidal or anything else i'm missing.

You can apply this to movies too. Blockbuster fell to Netflix now there is one blockbuster left in the united states. Guess what ? The same thing these industries went through we are now going through in video games. I remember wanting to go get the newest dvd because of the commentary and then oh the image quality and then oh well its a really cool collectors set. Now I just load up netflix or disney plus or amazon prime and watch what i want. When I worked for gamestop in the early 2000s right as they were buying funcoland there were 3 gamestop stores in willowbrook mall NJ. Now pre covid there was 1 in a new location in the mall that was the smallest location yet. You go into that store and its become a funco pop seller. The best buy gaming section is again smaller and smaller. All the other specialty stores are gone and boom like magic the subscription services are gaining steam.... heh steam.​

Amazon costs money, it's still significantly cheaper. Packages get lost? Internet connects get lost and services go down.
Right internet goes down that game that requires multiple patches wont play anyway. I also not only have home internet but a phone tether to download games with and a work wifi hotspot they gave me. Sucks if i order a special edition that is sold out and amazon can't replace when it gets lost in the mail.

I guess I've always live in a convenient place like a lot of people, 24/7 superstores hold a reasonable selection of games that are not digital only. If I wanted that midnight game, it'd be quite close as to who got to play it first between you and myself - and I'd get it cheaper and with the ability to sell on. I do appreciate the digital option though, it's not that I don't get it.
I'd preload it , so i'd be able to play it while your still driving home. But yea what I want to do is go out to walmart at midnight and stand in line with a bunch of people who may have covid so i can take a package home that might have covid and then open it up and have it sit in my house so i can then load the game up and install it and then be told hey we got downloads to do.

Reinstalling is significantly faster via disk - also I believe people have caps? Updates only required for online games.

You can just buy a large external hard drive https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digi...446816011&rnid=562234011&s=electronics&sr=1-8

then you never really have to reinstall

bit more tech savy ?

https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-S...rd+drive&qid=1594390276&s=electronics&sr=1-13

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-256M...446816011&rnid=562234011&s=electronics&sr=1-9

There you go you can do 4 16TB drives. Looks like its the size of maybe 8 or 9 games

Sorry, it wasn't a dig or calling you lazy - I'm lazy! lol - I love not having to get up for something like that (I even mentioned my 'chase the case' game earlier. But to be honest, outside VR it's a minimal inconvenience.
I was busting chops so don't worry about it. I'm just adding it in as a plus because it is. How about this. Got a switch ? You go on vacation and your child is playing it and he switches games when your not paying attention. Get back to your hotel or whatever and wait where is the other gmae he was playing ? Oh well its forever gone. Now yes you can loose the switch but your purchases are on your account and you can have nintendo move the account to a new switch. Also its a lot easier to keep track of a switch then a switch game do to the size difference. But you loose that game and oh well its gone

Not when my account was stolen I wasn't - I am now! Also people get wrongly banned.
You get banned it doesn't matter if you have the physical game aside from selling it since your now banned. Your still not going to be able to play multiplayer games. Perhaps don't do the thing that gets you banned.

Well that was kind of my point, a product that costs substantially more to get to me costs less. Shops are having to take less profit to make it worth while, and yet still at ~20%+ saving compared to digital they still make a profit as do all the other links in the very long chain vs digital.
Yes at the same time shops are going to carry less games which makes it harder to get the game. more and more people buy digital

https://www.statista.com/statistics/190225/digital-and-physical-game-sales-in-the-us-since-2009/ We are at 83% digital in 2018.

https://www.ccn.com/playstation-4-digital-game-sales-overtake-physical-thats-a-first/ look at Sony for the first time digital is over half their games sold. What do you think this pandemic is going to do ?
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/animal-crossing-new-horizons-huge-sales-figures-we/1100-6477018/ animal crossing sales were 50% digital.

Covid is going to move a lot of people digital and then they will stay that way

I know this, that was my point. I'm not even sure what you mean by this statement as it has nothing to do with mine which was against a comment that implied digital prices are higher than retail because retail wouldn't be happy with Sony if they undercut them.
Retail doesn't care. A walmart or game stop will make $5-$10 off a game. They rather have more accessories to sell. Better yet they rather have little plastic cards that cost nothing and make the same profit per card which you can fit a lot more plastic cards in the space of one physical edition of the game which means a larger over all profit for that square footage of retail space.

Sorry if I misunderstood - I said Sony because we're in a PS5 thread...but it applies to everyone. To me this is how the conversation went;

Karamazov "i just said to my point of view it's not a good value so i will never buy a digital game full price.
Thought i'm still sure it costs less to sell digital than physical. Even on PC stores digital games are less expensive."

you miss understand because you think sony wants to sell you a physical disc. Sony doesn't want to do so. This isn't the ps3 era of gaming. They don't have a movie format to get off the ground. That tactic was great with the ps2 and really helped dvds become mainstream but bluray didn't gain that kind of traction ever.

For sony if they had an option of picking if you bought physical or digital they would choose digital all day long. of course they will take a physical sale if its the only option but they and the publisher make a lot more through digital. The trend from sony will be more limited runs of physical media. Esp in countries where digital is already over 50% of their sales. We already have games that are digital only on the platforms. It will only accelerate.

You say dony wont dare to sell digital for the same or less than retail ? I think your wrong and through this generation you will see how wrong you are. Every month of covid more people will buy digital , every month of covid more people will ask themselves why they would go to the store and pick up a game that then sits in their house when digital worked well. All the companies are having sales on games now. Command and conquer remake came out what a month or two ago and was already on the steam summer sale

my other post is really long so i just wanted to add this here

Think of any of these companies and their primary goal is to keep the lights on and bring in as much profit as they can.

So at first the only way to sell games was through retail and catalogs but then a new thing came about and at first digital was a small part of their sales.. very tiny and so retail didn't care , didn't realize what was going on but digital kept selling so retail who made up the bulk of the sales for the companies said hey we will drop you if you start to make your own digital platforms more competitive. But slowly over years more people still went digital. There will come a point very soon if we aren't there at this point in time where the power is no longer with retail. The power will be with digital. Sony or MS or Nintendo will say you used to be the majority of our sales but your not a tiny portion. They will look at the costs to print physical media and ship it around the world and the cut the retailer takes and will then either drop it all together or start increasing its price vs digital. The retailers might not like it but at the same time they can be given a larger share of the profits with the cost increase. They can be placated with a higher margin on accessories or consoles or a higher margin on game cards. At a point later this generation or next generation physical will become a niche in the majority of markets. And what happens when something becomes a niche ? well https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/20... lack of pressing capabilities to meet demand. look at vinyl its pricing is much more than cd or digital. As more companies close down cd pressing plants cd costs will rise if it out paces the decline of sales.

Once physical fully goes away i hope psn keeps those great sales they have been doing as opposed to simply being content as the only game in town.
I believe it's up to individual publishers to decide what games cost on PSN so if they want to put games on sale they could at any time., My understanding is the involvement of Sony (and Epic, Microsoft and Steam for their stores) is flagged to publishers that they will promote a sale, which will attract more visitors to the store, which will sell more games.

I think people are losing sight of the argument behind digital. I agree it's worth paying a premium if you know you'll get your moneys worth. I bought Last of Us 2 because I 100% knew I would love it (or rather I was confident). Would I buy GoT digitally? No fecking way. I'm not risking £55 on a game I have no idea about. And certainly no-one who is price sensitive will. And that's what I'm saying, due to the price of admission a digital only console is not a good investment.

Right internet goes down that game that requires multiple patches wont play anyway.​

Not to be pedantic, but it'll still play with no internet and no patches - it's only online that won't work.
I'd preload it , so i'd be able to play it while your still driving home. But yea what I want to do is go out to walmart at midnight and stand in line with a bunch of people who may have covid so i can take a package home that might have covid and then open it up and have it sit in my house so i can then load the game up and install it and then be told hey we got downloads to do.
Wow, paranoid much!? Going by my internet speeds I think it'd be quicker to pop to my local, buy and install. Just saying

You can just buy a large external hard drive
Well obviously, but there's 2 things there - one is that makes digital even more expensive and the other is the argument that the digital console is cheaper so will sell more to the price sensitive, I think we're losing sight of that.

You get banned it doesn't matter if you have the physical game aside from selling it since your now banned. Your still not going to be able to play multiplayer games. Perhaps don't do the thing that gets you banned.
Yes, only online - if your account get's banned I think you lose access to everything, and I've heard of people get banned incorrectly.

you miss understand because you think sony wants to sell you a physical disc.
No, I don't - it's you misunderstanding! My point is, if Sony/MS want to sell me digital then make it more worthwhile. Let me try before I buy (maybe give me an hour to decide) - let me trade or sell back (say 25% back), or give me a better price (etc)

Common sense is really bad for a lot of things, especially if the things are not common. Most people do not have any idea what goes into distribution, so I am guessing common sense comes up short in this instance. And I am open to basically anything, until somebody really breaks it down with proper numbers and knowledge.
I'm aware that infrastructure and storage costs money, but I can't believe that all things told getting digital to my console costs more than 20% more.

The cost of making music and films are not the same as making a game? I do not know the numbers, but there are a lot of people involved in getting the game to gold status, could be a another reason.
That makes no difference, doesn't matter if it takes £100M or £1000 to make a game - it's the production/delivery we're talking about here.

if your account get's banned I think you lose access to everything

Not sure how works on PS4, but on Xbox if you're GamerTag/account is banned then you can't connect to Xbox Live. You could still play single player games offline provided you have a disc or already downloaded the digital copy. Now a console/device ban is slightly different. It bans all accounts from accessing Xbox Live. This means you can't add new account either. Again, only disc games or digital games you've already downloaded are allowed to play in offline mode. If the games need an update to play you're screwed. So I guess if you're worried about banned accounts, then you should also be worried of banned consoles since that will affect everybody playing on it(disc or digital).

Tommy McClain

Back