Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I don't see it as an afterthought, but a clear compromise to having a super cheap way to adjust SKUs. The thing was designed for DD only and the cheapest alterations possible made to support the optical option for as long as Sony have to. I bet that plastic top just pops off and you can swap them over with zero hassle.

Is anyone planning on purchasing the optical only just to have the prettier console? Is anyone willing to spend the same amount for an OD-less PS5 because it looks better? Or rather, if you prefer the looks of the OD-less PS5 (the true PS5!) would you buy the PS5Bulge at the same price because it has a bit more functionality?

I suggested on EuroGamer that Sony don't have to price the OD-less option cheaper because many gamers don't care about its additional functionality and would choose the true PS5 at the same price for aesthetics. That didn't go down well. ;)

I would say why would anyone pay more for less, but then that’s digital all over

It really does! :yep2: I can't but wonder if they had hoped to be able to squeeze the optical drive smack in the centre but for some reason they couldn't do this and had to move to the side. Mine will go vertical next to the TV with the drive close to the wall where it won't be as visible.
I do think it would be a similar design even if the PS5DE wasn't in the plans. It fits with the weird way sony seems to be doing product designs: Make the internals based on engineering goals unimpeded, then try to design a case around it. Engineering goals dictating design makes weird stuff, like the launch PS3 having a rounded top which was the cavity for the gigantic centrifugal fan, and a ridiculously heavy cast aluminum frame.

The biggest problem fitting an ODD in a case where the majority of the space needs to be designed for airflow is that it's a big block of obstruction that is always in the way. Here the ODD was placed out of the way of the flow which shows they need the center space to maximize airflow, and sacrificed just enough thickness for it.

Regardless of the ODD, the PS5 airflow needs a thick part on one side (where the big vents are, probably the fan), and can be thinner on the other end where it becomes the logical place to put the ODD with an offset to stay out of the way of the airflow. The thin end also have a big clearance from the vertical stand which makes me even more confident there's important airflow from the bottom, otherwise the stand would have been designed closer to the ground. This is different from the xbsx where the bottom is almost completely obstructed when place vertically (the bottom vortex in the CAD animation makes absolutely no sense, the back vents are the dominant inlets)

I would say why would anyone pay more for less, but then that’s digital all over
On Indonesia,
Digital was 5-10 dollars cheaper than physical. But Sony ended this around at the same time when they started increasing PS plus price awhile ago.

STEAM and epic regional pricing still put Indonesia price way cheaper than US :D

Though functionally you get more, aesthetically you get less. If you don't care about the feature difference than it doesn't matter. If you don't care about the design difference, it doesn't matter. But if you do care about either of those things for it to be a deciding factor, then how far would one go to get the preferred option?

Is anyone planning on purchasing the optical only just to have the prettier console? Is anyone willing to spend the same amount for an OD-less PS5 because it looks better? Or rather, if you prefer the looks of the OD-less PS5 (the true PS5!) would you buy the PS5Bulge at the same price because it has a bit more functionality?

interesting question, my first reaction would be "if they try to sell it for the same amount, I would buy PS5Buldge and hide it somewhere", but then I don't get design and I don't care about OD, so more logical would be to pay the same amount for thing you want (design in my case and yes, I'm waiting for all black edition).

Though functionally you get more, aesthetically you get less. If you don't care about the feature difference than it doesn't matter. If you don't care about the design difference, it doesn't matter. But if you do care about either of those things for it to be a deciding factor, then how far would one go to get the preferred option?
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/07/poll_which_version_of_the_ps5_do_you_plan_to_buy

62% - I'm getting the standard PS5 no matter what
19% - I plan to pick up the PS5 Digital Edition
13% - It's all going to depend on price and availability
6% - I'm not planning to buy a PS5 any time soon

Hmm.... that 19% would care about aesthetics, since it's regardless of price or availability.

The 13% is interesting, I didn't think about the availability during the launch period, We had a horrible availability of the 20GB PS3 despite a lot of gamers (only in north america?) wanting to save $100 to get the 20GB. So most people just bought the 60GB because that's what was available.

Those who want discs don't have a choice, they get the standard, and wait if it's out of stock. But those who don't care at all can pick based on whatever other aspect they care about, which is price, availability, and aesthetics.

But honestly, I don't think there's anything wrong with having a big bulge.

functionally more?

Can’t sell
Hard to share
Have to download rather than install
Sometimes a physical copy arrives early

Until you get a scratch. Or lose the disc.
The optical drive system can do more than the OD-less system, simple as that. Whether you choose to use it doesn't change that, and one's inability manage their game inventory isn't a fault of the system.

So for $n hundred, if the choice is a games console for download titles only, or the same games console that also plays movie discs and allows you to share game discs or buy second hand, the latter is objectively the better choice. In this instance, because the latter is aesthetically different, it may not be the preferred option.

Yes. The optical drive system is functionally better.

oh lol, I was referring to software and when I read your reply I put that statement against software (ie ‘digital games have better functionality but you get less aesthetically’. D’oh!

Personally I’m really torn, I like to buy CEs but I also like to buy digital copies of games I love - problem is you often don’t know you love a game until you try it. Also some games will offer incredibly poor value, like those with yearly releases (like FIFA). I wonder if that could move to a subscription model at some point soon?

Last time it happend to me in ps2 days...

yeah, the worst thing with disks is the mini game I play which I call ‘chase the case’. It’s where I go to play a game and there’s a different game in the case, so I then get the case for that disk - which has a different game (rinse and repeat until you get to the case with the game you want to play in!

It’s awesome fun and comes free with any children in the house lol

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/07/poll_which_version_of_the_ps5_do_you_plan_to_buy

62% - I'm getting the standard PS5 no matter what
19% - I plan to pick up the PS5 Digital Edition
13% - It's all going to depend on price and availability
6% - I'm not planning to buy a PS5 any time soon

Hmm.... that 19% would care about aesthetics, since it's regardless of price or availability.

I think you're discounting people's assumptions that will factor into this vote. I'd wager most people are assuming the Digital Edition PS5 will be cheaper, so they're committed to getting a PS5 but want the cheapest one. It's not the price per se, but if voters are going on that assumption and don't need/want Blu-ray/UHD playback or have games on disc, like some folks on these forums who are heavily invested in digital only libraries, voters will pick for the assumed smaller, cheaper option.

The first two options are for people who know what they want, and price doesn't factor into it. Option 3 (13%) is the people who clearly do want a PS5 but which one and whether the buy depends on price/availability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out there in the real world there are still an amazing number of people who buy discs because they can easily sell them again. This is why a digital only version is also beneficial to platform holders - reselling is still not possible afaik in most digital platforms.

I bet this is the primary driver for the disc version, the second being able to insert existing discs, both PS4 and BluRay, and even dvd, and finally some people with a 4k TV don’t have a 4k BluRay player yet (like me) but would still like one (like me).

And probably even rarer are people who are looking forward to watching a 3D BluRay on a future PSVR model (already not bad on PSVR now but higher res would be nice ;)).

The odd thing with digital only is that the assumption is cheaper but it’s a false economy- essentially 50 saving on the unit would be eaten up within 3 game purchases. Maybe the digital edition has a bigger SSD and is actually more expensive- like digital games are?

I know that sounds completely mad!

If I get a PS5 (after the hardware reveal I got a bit weary of the dynamic frequencies approach), I will probably go with the disc version. Mostly because of UHD Blu-ray's, as streaming does not come close to the image and sound quality. I do have a UHD player but it's a crappy one that does lock up if a movie is over two hours long lol. Most of the games I have are PSVR though and digital is way more convenient there to switch games with the headset on.

The odd thing with digital only is that the assumption is cheaper but it’s a false economy- essentially 50 saving on the unit would be eaten up within 3 game purchases. Maybe the digital edition has a bigger SSD and is actually more expensive- like digital games are?
The DE should be marginally cheaper, but where Sony can eat a bigger loss is because they know the DE owners will mostly be buying from PSN (and no GameStop, Amazon, Walmart etc) so will be taking the retailer cut of a larger number of games. Drive-less consoles are a boon for Microsoft and Sony because it rules out buying cheap games and second-hand games which do not benefit the platform holder.

The DE should be marginally cheaper, but where Sony can eat a bigger loss is because they know the DE owners will mostly be buying from PSN (and no GameStop, Amazon, Walmart etc) so will be taking the retailer cut of a larger number of games.
Although true, I also don't think they have to discount the DD only console. I don't think it's an unwanted device that can only be moved if it's heavily discounted vrsus the Bulge. A proportion of PS4 owners don't buy disks any more and don't care for a disk-capable console, so the Bulge-free version can sell to these people priced accordingly to aesthetic. That is, if people find the bulge ugly, PS5Svelte can be priced the same as PS5Bulge and sold the DD only users with a nicer mark-up. But if people don't care about the bulge, they'll choose it over Svelte as it's better functionality for the same price. At which point, Svelte will need to be priced cheaper than Bulge enough to swing people to the more lucrative SKU.

Back