Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I'm still pretty positive on the overall design, and hope the final console is basically the same.

3 fans each for the SoC and PSU bodes well for heat and noise, just based on my research into quietening my sometimes screaming PS4Pro.

Hopefully there's an attachment, kind of like the third party fan stands you can get for the PS4/XB1, so I can stand the console on its back.

There's a lot of empty space. Only the blue area has content in the top half...

upload_2020-6-4_14-48-11.png

I feel like the fins for directing the airflow don't really do anything and seem cosmetic. There's also the same among of cooling airflow dedicated to the PSU as there is the APU! How much heat is the power supply generating?

View attachment 3980

I feel like the fins for directing the airflow don't really do anything and seem cosmetic. There's also the same among of cooling airflow dedicated to the PSU as there is the APU! How much heat is the power supply generating?
I’m not the best at aerodynamics, but I wonder if the fins weren’t there, would there be turbulent airflow at the boundary that limited overall airflow?

Not sure if that's the intent, but using three fans in parallel for the same heatsink immediately makes me thing of the traditional method for redundancy. Almost all servers and networking equipment are made that way. The N+1 target becomes 66% which is a nice compromise. A retail product wouldn't do this, at least not for redundancy purposes.

The V is the inlet. Sides and back are the outlets. There's practically no heat on the right, and most of the heat is on the left. It's ridiculously asymetrical, I don't like it. EDIT: Oh, it's necessary for the vertical orientation!

There's no reason to spend money on multiple low RPM fans on a retail PSU. Although if you take just the left side, and rotate it 90 degrees, it's a pretty good system by itself if they don't mind a 3 inch high case. Maybe a bit more motor noise, but less tip velocity than a large fan, as in more "zzzz" less "fffff".

I'm not against 3 axial fans, it's a good aspect ratio compromise and gets some interesting advantages, but I still want my dual counter-rotating blowers.

Last edited:
I’m not the best at aerodynamics, but I wonder if the fins weren’t there, would there be turbulent airflow at the boundary that limited overall airflow?
I think the side vents are needed to get rid of the hot air as soon as possible, and oriented towards the back to avoid convection to remix the hot air into the inlet. It respects the front-to-back airflow.

The highest velocity is right there because the fans are pulling from the heatsink, and pushing in that direction. Interestingly, it makes the vertical orientation work fine, which it wouldn't if there was a heatsink on both sides.

I'm a bit less against the asymetry now that I think about the need for both orientations.

View attachment 3980

The fans on the PSU are very low power, low RPM. It's a very different model just looking at the drawings. Fans models that are very thin have a tiny motor that is low power, silent, and inexpensive (see kinect2 fan). We can see the models on the heatsink is thick which indicates a beefy motor and agressive blade profile.

61m-Nt7eLuL._AC_SY879_.jpg
One of the best movies ever.

As it so happens, I'm currently watching the Blu-ray for the nth time :)

I only see 6 fans. Where is the seventh some people are seeing?

I think the 7th fan came from the though of having another central one for additional pulling effect for circulation, but that was based on the premise that the central area is exhaust. It wasn't until a few posts later that the central area was clarified to be intake.

I suppose they would need another one on the underside area. The board is practically in the middle, the underside have the ODD and probably the ram, and SSD, and additional devkit-specific storage bays.

Might as well put 3 there too, it's not like they need cost cutting on a devkit. So 9 fans. :runaway:

Out of curiosity, why not go with two larger fans per side instead of the three smaller ones? Wouldn't two larger fans be able to span the main heatsink/PSU as well as the underside?

I suppose they would need another one on the underside area. The board is practically in the middle, the underside have the ODD and probably the ram, and SSD, and additional devkit-specific storage bays.

Might as well put 3 there too, it's not like they need cost cutting on a devkit. So 9 fans. :runaway:

Angle them downwards, add remote control, and let it serve as a RC Hovercraft.

Back