Playstation 5 hacked [2021-11, 2022-10] *spawn

I had my PS2 chipped, I would have been 14 at the time in a family that would be considering as a low income and borderline in poverty.

The chip had 23 wires and cost my parents £120 and while I had a few copies games there was no one I knew who sold them so after the initial copied games I purchased I was back to asking for genuine copies again.

So £120 for honestly not much of a gain.

I would love to see Sony re-launch the 'Platinum' brand and offer qualifying games at £19.99 again.

The Messiah chip? I remember paying something like that aswell (2001).

Good old times. For EA games you had to hold the power button for 5 or so seconds, the PS2 would boot and the tray would open itself. You then had a couple seconds to insert the pirated copy, select the correct region and the tray would again, automatically, close itself and the game would, with abit of luck, boot successfully. This was just for EA's cd-based games games somehow....
For other games it wasnt more than just inserting the game after you booted into the region free cd menu and pressed start.

I just forgot about all this modding and bought the games instead.... and yeah these platinum releases where awesome back in the day.
It was one of the first messiah chips, you may have had better experiences. The PS2 was the last playstation i had any sort of modding done. Quite convenient with the PS5 today. Still, 6th gen was a beast of a generation.

I'm curious. Xbox 360 got rampant piracy via DVD drive custom firmware, and then via RGH chip.

But ever since Xbox one (and now series), seems hackers interests in Microsoft platform has gone poof.

While PS4 (fully supported piracy via vulnerable older firmware), and now PS5 keep getting interest from hackers.

Xbox one was the first time Ms allowed their console to run home brews, with almost the same limitations as real developer team.

Sony on the other hand have crippled Linux support on ps3, and have zero home brews support on PS4 and PS5.

Correlation doesn't means causation, yadda yadda. I just found it was interesting.

I genuinely believe MS's security is just better. The chief hackers do it for pride and interest AFAIK as a hobby, not money or to enable homebrew, and they haven't made significant stride against XB. There'd be incredible kudos for the hacker who cracks XB, so the lack of such a crack points strongly to it being very robust. I think that's understandable given the very significant pressure MS faced over the decades for OS security and eventually they had to Git Gud.

I genuinely believe MS's security is just better. The chief hackers do it for pride and interest AFAIK as a hobby, not money or to enable homebrew, and they haven't made significant stride against XB. There'd be incredible kudos for the hacker who cracks XB, so the lack of such a crack points strongly to it being very robust. I think that's understandable given the very significant pressure MS faced over the decades for OS security and eventually they had to Git Gud.
But how much interest was there? Xbox One bombed hard so how much need/effort/curiosity was there to crack it?

Where as PS4 had such a large install base it was worth the time and effort to hack.

It reminds me of Apple PC's of old here people would say they have better security as they had less viruses, that wasn't the case, there was just no interest in hacking Apple PC's because install base was so low in relation to Windows PC that it wasn't worth the effort.

Reactions: JPT
I'm curious. Xbox 360 got rampant piracy via DVD drive custom firmware, and then via RGH chip
Which had multiple regularly reoccurring ban-waves from Xbox Live. It was a fun little cat-n-rat chase to observe.

But how much interest was there? Xbox One bombed hard so how much need/effort/curiosity was there to crack it?

Where as PS4 had such a large install base it was worth the time and effort to hack.

It reminds me of Apple PC's of old here people would say they have better security as they had less viruses, that wasn't the case, there was just no interest in hacking Apple PC's because install base was so low in relation to Windows PC that it wasn't worth the effort.
a portable PC for 399 that can play games?
there are a lot of use cases for a device that is well setup to run windows.

Yeah, the large Sony install base and the "sticking to the man" to Sony seems to result to much more "streed cred"

As Sony was pretty heavy handed in punishing hackers.

Sony then changed strategy tho. So they accept bug bounties.

Which had multiple regularly reoccurring ban-waves from Xbox Live. It was a fun little cat-n-rat chase to observe.
The DVD drive custom firmware was pretty safe. As long as you use proper source and use proper burning method.

IIRC some pirated x360 games sellers even proudly promote themselves as the "safe" ones. That they follow team xecuter recommendations.

The ones being sold on shopping malls were unsafe tho.

The DVD drive custom firmware was pretty safe. As long as you use proper source and use proper burning method.
No, it wasn't. They all got hit multiple times over and over with Xbox Live ban waves. I was extremely involved at the time.

The only sure fire "safe" way was to not play online at all.

I don't think popularity is the requirement. It's the challenge. The harder the safe to crack, the more kudos if you are the one to crack it. XBO/XBS have a reputation for being 'uncrackable'. That is a red rag to the hacker bull; the gauntlet is thrown down. The hacker who cracks XBO when no-one else could wins the Best Hacker crown. That is always how reputation works. And people have tried, but not gotten very far. After a while, it seems they gave up on focussed on other platforms, which proves the strength of the security.

No, it wasn't. They all got hit multiple times over and over with Xbox Live ban waves. I was extremely involved at the time.

The only sure fire "safe" way was to not play online at all.

Anecdote : My x360 still use custom FW on its DVD drive and still hasn't been banned the last time I used it to transfer save file to Xbox series via Xbox cloud save.

I do follow the recommended safety stuff (or at least the game sellers claims to do so when I asked them, every time TX updated their recommendations). I did not exclusively use pirate discs tho.

Anecdote : My x360 still use custom FW on its DVD drive and still hasn't been banned the last time I used it to transfer save file to Xbox series via Xbox cloud save.

The new protection schemes were the entire reason for new firmware versions to be released. If there were no new detection schemes put into play there wouldn't ever be newer firmware versions. The number of revisions to the optical firmware hacks are all the proof you need to know they were never "safe".

Maybe you didn't get into it until the later years then. I was there before they ever had the first Xbox-Live ban wave. There have been at least 4 large ban-waves that have hit every single firmware version out there, even the "latest and greatest at the time".

The new protection schemes were the entire reason for new firmware versions to be released. If there were no new detection schemes put into play there wouldn't ever be newer firmware versions. The number of revisions to the optical firmware hacks are all the proof you need to know they were never "safe".

Maybe you didn't get into it until the later years then. I was there before they ever had the first Xbox-Live ban wave. There have been at least 4 large ban-waves that have hit every single firmware version out there, even the "latest and greatest at the time".
I used it since the Xbox 360 that are prone to rrod. But then it got rrod, then I buy a revised Xbox 360 that's still alive last time I used it to transfer saves.

The newer DVD drive firmware does provide safer protection. IIRC one of the main features of the updates was to allow you to use unsafe pirated disc safer.

But they still recommend to use safe pirated disc, instead of the unsafe ones.

---

IIRC every time Ms updated the game protection, new custom firmware will be released, and new "safety guide" for pirated disc's also released.

I never use unsafe disc, I never use games with new protection without updating the DVD drive first.

One of the new protection is making Xbox game disc a wee bit larger than normal dvdr dl. Some pirated games sellers keeps burning them with the old methods and guidelines (and Iso) that were unsafe.

Some pirated game sellers stays up to date, follow the safety guidelines. Like using known good dvdr manufacturer code that can properly be burned to the larger capacity (iirc it was Mitsubishi, often rebranded as verbatim)

Edit:

My ps vita and 3ds also didn't get banned. My switch do get banned. As I ignored all safety guidelines as it was too cumbersome. Nowadays the safety guidelines are much more nicer.

IIRC every time Ms updated the game protection, new custom firmware will be released, and new "safety guide" for pirated disc's also released.

I don't know why you're arguing against logic. The time between the new protection schemes being rolled out and the time the new firmware is released is the UNSAFE period.

I don't know why you're arguing against logic. The time between the new protection schemes being rolled out and the time the new firmware is released is the UNSAFE period.
Yes, I was agreeing and elaborating that as long as you follow the safety guidelines (new fw/iso creation method/disc burning method), you'll be fine.

E.g. Don't play those discs until new firmware update and/or new safety guidelines was published.

Back