Playstation 5 hacked [2021-11, 2022-10] *spawn

Unlocked debug mode, a gateway for homebrew and piracy.

But this exploit will not be released, so nothing changes for now.

ps5-dev-kit-dfi-d1000aa-robert-sebo-sdk-10.jpg

Slow SSD Mode? o_O

Nah. They'll do it no matter what as it's their hobby. And in Nguyen's case, he's a security engineer I think so it's kinda his job.

Isn't security supposed to get better over time and experience, not worse?

i recommend you to listen to some security podcasts, unfortunately security is lagging behind. The whole trend is faster,easier and cheaper and we will worry about security later.

Could it be the higher prices for consoles and console games that pushes this kind of roads to jailbreaking?

By mentioning high price of console games, do you mean hacking for piracy?

AFAIK these people are not interested in piracy. Heck, they sometimes goes to the extra mile to add their own protection layer to make pirated stuff can't be run.

Usually it's simply because they are having fun in hacking a locked down stuff.

Probably that's one of the contributing reason why xbox hacking (and thus piracy) basically extinct with Xbox one. As Microsoft allows all Xbox one (and Xbox Series) to be unlocked

Isn't security supposed to get better over time and experience, not worse?

Seems so yes. I remember the PS2 was basically 'modded' the week it launched in europe (messiah chip). The PS3 took abit longer i think, PS4 can be jailbreaked but due to everything online/FW updates etc it has become harder.
With games becoming the prices they are today (and thats without dlc etc) and the higher prices for the machines themselfs, add a global crisis aswell as a shortage of hardware to begin with, i'd think the hunger after pirating/jailbreaking etc might grow.

What i hear around me is quite much 'complaining' about how expensive games have gotten, aswell as a 100 dollars more for the consoles (the discless doesnt really exist here). Also the paying for online etc etc.

i recommend you to listen to some security podcasts, unfortunately security is lagging behind. The whole trend is faster,easier and cheaper and we will worry about security later.

What i was thinking aswell.... Even apple devices can be jailbroken if your carefull with the firmwares, you might loose features but the prices of apps are what they are and....
Paying 80 dollars or more for a singleplayer game (with no serious mp), i think its abit of a high price for something you'd generally play once.

By mentioning high price of console games, do you mean hacking for piracy?

AFAIK these people are not interested in piracy. Heck, they sometimes goes to the extra mile to add their own protection layer to make pirated stuff can't be run.

Where you around during the 6th generation of consoles? If so, how many did you know who didnt actually have a un-modded PS2/Xbox? Same for the PS1.

Usually it's simply because they are having fun in hacking a locked down stuff.

Again, during the 6th generation of consoles the primary reason was being able to play 'imports', or better said, games they didnt actually buy in the store.
So what happened, people changed their minds since those generations?

If you have a look at the YouTube channel Modern Vintage Gamer he has some amazing video on how each consoles security was eventually defeated.

Some really interesting stuff, like how Sony designed PS2 to have firmware updates via the front USB port but in the end decided against it but then never removed the code which allowed the functionality which allowed hackers in to the system.

I don't think security is deteriorating, I think the base security level is actually rapidly rising, mostly with inbuilt protections in stuff that requires no configuration, for example stack cookies, ASLR, PAC, NX bit, etc.

What I do think is happening is that everything is getting a lot more complicated, this leaves a much larger attack surface and greatly increases the chance that there are security vulnerabilities in any given bit of software/device.

I don't think security is deteriorating, I think the base security level is actually rapidly rising, mostly with inbuilt protections in stuff that requires no configuration, for example stack cookies, ASLR, PAC, NX bit, etc.

What I do think is happening is that everything is getting a lot more complicated, this leaves a much larger attack surface and greatly increases the chance that there are security vulnerabilities in any given bit of software/device.

S in IOT stands for Secure ;) And thats why i said is lagging behind we got so many new tools and new technologies, security has a hard time to follow and/or is simply not prioritised as much as it should. The first thing is always to get stuff running. Virtualisation, containers new build pipelines amazing technologies but everything has price. As you said everything is getting a lot more complicated and with increased complexity comes the price which is often security. Things are getting definitely better but security is not in the same boom category as rest of this stuff. The bottom line is security is hard and security is expensive.
No to so long time ago i read article in swedish newspaper that one of the biggest company here dosent prioritise security they are actually ready to pay ransomware if it happens ... crazy!
But this is very complex problem its not only tools and best practice its also education.
I can recommend you to listen to Open Source Security podcast, its scary world we are living in.

Seems so yes. I remember the PS2 was basically 'modded' the week it launched in europe (messiah chip). The PS3 took abit longer i think, PS4 can be jailbreaked but due to everything online/FW updates etc it has become harder.
With games becoming the prices they are today (and thats without dlc etc) and the higher prices for the machines themselfs, add a global crisis aswell as a shortage of hardware to begin with, i'd think the hunger after pirating/jailbreaking etc might grow.

What i hear around me is quite much 'complaining' about how expensive games have gotten, aswell as a 100 dollars more for the consoles (the discless doesnt really exist here). Also the paying for online etc etc.

What i was thinking aswell.... Even apple devices can be jailbroken if your carefull with the firmwares, you might loose features but the prices of apps are what they are and....
Paying 80 dollars or more for a singleplayer game (with no serious mp), i think its abit of a high price for something you'd generally play once.

Where you around during the 6th generation of consoles? If so, how many did you know who didnt actually have a un-modded PS2/Xbox? Same for the PS1.

Again, during the 6th generation of consoles the primary reason was being able to play 'imports', or better said, games they didnt actually buy in the store.
So what happened, people changed their minds since those generations?

By "these people", I was referring to the hackers (failoverflow, etc) that originally cracked the security. Not the mod chip makers (team xecuters, gateway, etc) that usually (even team xecuter stole from atmosphere) stole codes from the original hackers.

If you have a look at the YouTube channel Modern Vintage Gamer he has some amazing video on how each consoles security was eventually defeated.

Some really interesting stuff, like how Sony designed PS2 to have firmware updates via the front USB port but in the end decided against it but then never removed the code which allowed the functionality which allowed hackers in to the system.

And how Nvidia basically backdoored Nintendo Switch hahaha

Back